Hello my dear friends, welcome.
Here is my entry for Day 19 of NaPoWriMo. Most of us were working on the notion put forward by NaPoWriMo HQ today of creating a poem through writing a passage and then erasing some of the words to make a “found poem” or alternatively building a new poem from the ashes of the words of an existing poem we have written.
I’ve experimented with erasure and made a “found poem”, which consists of picking out words and phrases that you like from a particular essay or passage of writing and making an entirely new poem out of it.
(This process is also known as blackout poetry, where you black out the words you don’t want to use).
The poem that I picked as my source material was featured on the Real Toads website via this particular prompt:-
Here is the source poem that I used in its entirety:-
To what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent that there is no death.
But what does that signify?
Not only under ground are the brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life in itself
An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs.
It is not enough that yearly, down this hill,
Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.
And finally here is my erased/found poem below, hope you enjoy it 🙂
Photo by Oldiefan from Pixabay
“Quiet Me Of What I Know” by David Ellis
do you return again?
of what I know.
there is no death.
Only brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life itself is an empty flight
Not enough flowers.
Still want more? Well, how about some more Day 19 entries from the fantastic peeps of the NaPoWriMo community to keep you company 🙂
1. Ladyleemanila – Q is for Quatern
2. THOUGHTS OF WORDS – Road
3. Unassorted stories – You don’t even know my name
4. Oaks to Acorns – Scarification
5. grapeling – it could be that – falter / 17
6. fresh poetry – 5am
7. erbiage – The Shining Is
8. erbiage – growing up gritty
9. Jane Dougherty Writes – Haibun erased
10. Z for short – THE DOVES AT THE CATHEDRAL SQUARE
11. My Author-itis – Angst & Apathy
12. Scrambled, Not Fried – Inner
13. clayandbranches – NaPoWriMo, Day 19: Shadow Children
14. MEXI MOVIE THE THIRD – Day 19: Thursday Doors, 19/4/18: Reconstruction
15. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – The Taste of Love: NaPoWriMo 2018, Day 19
16. method two madness – Dream Pantoum
17. MY FEELINGS MY FREEDOM – NaPoWriMo Day 19: Erasure Poetry
18. PEACOCK POETRY by Sam Allen – Slice of Life
19. JIM’S LITTLE PHOTO AND POEM PLACE – NaPoWriMo 2018-19 — Day 19, a Poem, Nature’s Display – Waiting
20. ORDINARY AVERAGE THOUGHTS – National Poetry Writing Month 2018, Day 19 – A couple of random thoughts about famous people who have died
21. RIVRVLOGR – Love Is Not a Game – recording
22. Zouxzoux – Not a Party Girl
23. WHAT LIFE SAID TO ME – NaPoWriMo 2018: Day 19- Thirty Years…A long time
24. Flutterby’s NaPoWriMo – 2018 DAY 19 – HOT ERASURE
25. Ileea (Swedish but Google Translate is your friend) – Aprillyrik dag 19 – Vår & Kaffe
26. Voyage des mots – Jardí de Vallparadís, enero 22
27. Poetic Pixels – ERASURE
28. Yesterday and today: Merril’s historical musings – Coloring Spring, Haibun, NaPoWriMo, Day 19
29. barbaraturneywielandpoetess – there is nearly nothing left
30. ORIENTATION::QUILTER – Day Nineteen, NaPoWriMo
31. Woody & Johnny – Oxygen
32. Woody & Johnny – le jardin
33. Orangepeel – Poetry and Miscellany by Bruce Niedt – PAD Day 19: Construction and Deconstruction – Thread
34. Gloria D. Gonsalves – NA/GLOPOWRIMO DAY 19: FIND YOUR WAY TO THE SINGING PLACE
35. CHARMED CHAOS – IN TRUTH
36. Experience Writing – Q is for Querl
37. Frank J. Tassone – HAIKAI POETRY MATTERS – #Throwback Thursday (4/19/18): That Swing…an .@ImageCurve #haibun
38. ARHtistic License – Maundy Thursday
39. PAUL SCRIBBLES – F(LOWER)
40. Rhyme and Reason – Poetry Meets Film Reviews – Still Mine (2013)
41. Poetry by Hasen – The Knock From Outside
42. Summer Blues – A Poetry Blog – It Happens
43. RIVRVLOGR – water smooth as silk
44. inktuition – NaPoWriMo 2018 day 19: a poem for April heat
45. revivedwriter – Outside the Window
46. KATIE STATEN – NaPoWRiMo #19 – Erasure
47. Brittany’s Blog of Random Things – NaPoWriMo Day 19: Marble
48. kavyastream – Don’t Cry Into My Beer
49. Purple Mountain Poetry – DAY 19: FINGER DOGS FEEL SERIOUS
50. 1st Non-Manuscript – Charlene Delfin’s second blog – Day 19: The Black Forest
51. The Great Unknown – NaPoWriMo Day 19: Not All Girls Play With Dolls
52. HEPHAESTUS’ WASTE & COSMIC RUBBLE – Day 19 – Untitled (Or, Why I Hate Erasure Poems)
53. KDP-PDQ.com – NaPoWriMo – Day 19 – A Senior’s Sojourn
54. HOSKING’S BLOG – #NaPoWriMo 2018 Day Nineteen – Imagination