Daily Prompt – Whoa!
by Michelle W. on February 11, 2013
What’s the most surreal experience you’ve ever had?
Good day to you all.
I found this prompt a bit difficult to relate to personally because it has been noted in the past that I am often in my own fantasy world most of the time anyway.
As a writer, I tend to mix fact with fiction all the time, thereby coating all experiences in a surreal ambiance.
So, may I present to you today’s story, inspired by the prompt of surreality and how we interact with the world.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to the woods with Tinkerbell and all of the other creatures of the magic forest, while we fly on a rocketship made of Stilton (not Gorgonzola – that would be both stupid and smelly). If that’s not surreal enough for you then this will flip your wig cousin – we’re having jelly and ice cream too – Whoa! Far out!*
*Somebody get this guy a TV Show! Or a straitjacket!
What a performance – now, on with the show.
Give The Lad An Oscar (by David Ellis)
Oscar glanced at the snorting horse, its mad eyes terrifying, ablaze.
It was heading straight for him.
He blinked and rubbed his eyes. Could he be imagining it? Was this some kind of ghostly mirage?
It was thundering towards him with the speed of a runaway freight train.
“What can I do?” He trembled to himself. He had never experienced fear like this before, raw, deep, his leg tremoring and spasming as adrenaline jolts bolted down into his overstimulated legs, freezing them until they felt filled with concrete.
“I could try to run but my legs just won’t move, they’re glued to the spot.”
He felt like he was in a dream world – nowhere to hide, all he could do was crouch in a fetal position, cowering in anticipation, hoping for a miracle.
The beast beared down on him, closing in, all hooves and teeth and legs, hundreds of legs. Oscar hugged himself, bracing for the worse.
And then in an instant, the horse was gone, galloping past him, a gradually fading silhouette against the horizon.
Oscar gulped. “That was close, almost too close.”
He got up and was startled to see something else. He could just about make it out in the fog. He hadn’t seen him for several days but now he could clearly make him out.
Oscar’s heart skipped several beats.
“Oh brother, where art thou?” He whispered.
His brother was a playful sort, mimicking his every movement. Oscar reached out to touch his hand and it felt cold, clammy, his stare glassy-eyed but focused intently on Oscar.
His brother never said anything, always remaining silent, withdrawn, passive.
“So this is what loneliness must feel like” Oscar pondered.
Suddenly one of the big giants in the room yelled at him.
“Stop staring at that Oscar! It’s broken again, staring at it won’t fix it!”
“Silly old woman thought Oscar, how cruel it is to keep my brother in a box.”
I’ll keep watching and maybe one day I will be able to set him free when she’s not looking – these giant people can’t watch us all of the time.
Oscar smiled and his brother smiled back at him.
“I’ll save you buddy, just you wait and see.”
And now for something completely different…..from my fellow bloggers, who have also been inspired to dabble in a bit of surrealism:-
1. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
2. Dearly beloved, if this love only exists in my dreams … don’t wake me up. « In Harmony
3. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | The Gozum Show
4. Daily Post: Whoa! | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
5. Is this real life? « Q the Adult
6. Whoa! | Rolbos ©
7. If only they could see me then… « sat n’ all that
8. Lucid dreaming – my surreal reality | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
9. I Was In The Zone | The Jittery Goat
10. Surreal moments | Hope* the happy hugger
11. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Tita Rita
12. Sitting in the cockpit of the Eurofighter!!!! | My life! My Way!
13. My First Experience With Hypnotism « The Other Courtney
14. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Dreams | Loading…
15. The Mountain | The Nameless One
16. It’s All Surreal | Sorta Ginger: Ramblings of a Quasi-Redhead
17. it was only just a dream – BUBONICBOON
18. Surrealism | بيسان
19. JustSayin.. | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
20. Daily Prompt: Whoa! It’s Dali-like! « Advocacine’s Blog
21. Enchanted beyond words… | Pigments of Life
22. My Most Surreal Experience: The Man Who Didn’t Exist | The Daily Prompt | To Stay Alive
23. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
24. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « Code For Confession
25. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Waggingmytale’s Blog
26. How Did I Become This Person? « So You Think You Can Think
27. Daily Post: Dude…. « One Starving Activist
28. Out of the Woods | This Thread Sucks
29. A Whoa Moment « thelissachronicles
30. AGAIN… « hastywords
31. This one time… | thematticuskingdom
32. DP 11.2: Surreal experience – Eure surrealste Erfahrung? … 42 / 365 – Das Innenleben eines Computers im Wald « OceanPhoenix
33. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « Inspire the Idea
34. Daily Prompt: “Are you Surreal?” | Sammy’s Moleskin
35. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « mauldinfamily1
36. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Reviewer Rose
37. Las Vegas in the white stuff… « thoughtsofrkh
38. Surreal? Where? How? « ayimas
39. Appreciation Sms; My Definition Of A Miracle | Wise Counsel
40. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « A Western Buddhist’s Travels
41. Being Born – A Gift « theseeker
42. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Moonlight Reflections
43. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | The Blogging Path
44. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
45. A Town With a Memory | Shadoza: In My World
46. Daily Prompt: Whoa! | Basically Beyond Basic
47. Exploring My Sister’s Mind « In My Sister’s Mind
48. Trippy | The Road to Published
49. DP: my most surreal experience | Glad To Be Alive
50. DP. Whoa!/ Are You Sure it is Surreal? | motherofnine9
51. Daily Prompt: Whoa! « To Breathe is to Write
52. Surreality « Deep in the Heart of Textiles