Daily Prompt – A Plot of Earth
by Michelle W. on February 20, 2013
“You’re given a plot of land and have the financial resources to do what you please. What’s the plan?”
The plan is to write a story Hannibal!
Losing the Plot (by David Ellis)
It was finally the big day of lot number #56 at the local Land & Property auction.
This was a prime piece of real estate left behind by a lonely old spinster with too many cats (and no beneficiaries – she’d been too batty to even leave the premises to them, them kitties didn’t get a sausage). This land was such a magnificent patch, it had attracted a lot of rich investors, all with specific agendas.
Mr Featherstone (slightly balding, puffy eyes, beaked nose) wanted to construct a private hospital to satisfy the hypochondriacal tendencies of his wife.
Mr Motley (spinach chin beard, impossibly long legs, fond of gold rings and other ugly male jewellery) desired a decent space to develop a block of flats.
Mr Collura (slightly sleazy, puffing a cigar, a big shot) was keen to establish both a casino and Gentleman’s Club because he wanted to be famous like that Stringcheesefellow.
Mrs Crawford (snooty, glass of Pimms, a touch of hoity-toityness) – fancied turning the area into a petting zoo or a conservation park.
Mr Featherstone noticed a young girl playing with her hair and looking wistfully at the area, sadness framing her freckly face.
“Why so sad little one?”
“I want to buy the land but I only have a penny.”
She shuffled awkwardly on her feet and sniffed.
“OK then Missie…”
“M’not Missie. I’m Mindy.”
“OK then Mindy – if you can tell me what you will do with the land for a penny and it’s better than any of our ideas then I’ll buy it for you and sell it to you for that shiny penny!”
Mindy wrinkled her nose for a few seconds, whilst stroking her chin.
“I would like to build…..”
Mrs Crawford gasped theatrically and spilled some of the ice out of her Pimms glass. The other buyers also couldn’t believe their ears.
“A prison, child?”
Mindy looked defiant.
“Yes. One of them with the bars and everythin’.”
“Aren’t you a little young to know about those kinds of places?”
“No, my parents used to take me to one all the time. They even left me there for the day.”
“How ghastly for you my dear!”
“I wasn’t the only one there, it was the same for many other families with kids like me but we all got to go into the yard at lunchtime.” Mindy folded her arms.
“With all of the other criminals?” Mrs Crawford squeaked in horror. “Good heavens!”
All of the buyers were now beginning to become more and more alarmed at how nonchalant Mindy was being over the whole situation.
“But why would you go to a prison child?”
“To learn things Miss.”
“Seems like a rather extreme lesson to be learning at your age!”
Mr Featherstone seemed to twig at this point.
“You don’t mean a prison, do you Mindy – you mean a school?”
“Ummm,….yes Mister…” Mindy bit her lip “…but it’s like going to a prison.”
“So why are you so upset?”
“Our school burnt down and now they are sad because there is nowhere to build a new one. If I told them I was here trying to buy a new spot for a penny they would think that I really had lost the plot!”
Mindy didn’t get to spend her penny that day.
Her new-found friends however clubbed together and built her a brand new school anyway, on another patch of land close to where the original one perished.
When the school re-opened to the public, many parents remarked at how beautiful the building was and that it must have cost many a pretty penny and the teachers simply replied “No, not many, just Mindy’s!”
For more articles based on this prompt, have a little clicky on the posties below:-
1. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth – I have a dream « cognitive reflection
2. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | The Gozum Show
3. Daily Prompt: Veggies,Plants,Animals Flowers. « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
4. Daily Post: A Plot of Earth | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
5. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth … a finite resource | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
6. My Secret Garden « Q the Adult
7. I Speak For The Land! « Sorta-Ginger
8. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | genieve celada | photography
9. A Plot Of Earth | Hope* the happy hugger
10. A Plot O’ Earth « Miss Pelican’s Perch
11. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Mama Bear Musings
12. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth (A Writer’s Fantasy) | Creative Mysteries
13. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
14. Bisan Library | بيسان
15. No More Heartaches | The Jittery Goat
16. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth – A rescue « The Pawsey Piggy Troupe
17. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Completely Disappear
18. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Tita Rita
19. Daily Prompt: A plot of earth….for me? You shouldn’t have! | ThesesLittlePieces
20. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Diary of Dennis
21. my little piece of forest | thematticuskingdom
22. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « DiaryCube
23. Chocolate… Like me! « Travel Making Kai
24. Daily Prompt: EAzY ANSWER- “I’ve seen smilin’ faces in wilder places” EAZY said | Nerissa Moonshine
25. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth 20th February 2013 « ittikorn1994
26. Let’s make beautiful spoons together! | Pondering Spawned
27. A Plot of Earth | Liquid Matthew’s Development Blog
28. Creative hour | Pigments of Life
29. DP: A Plot of Earth « Life of Me and Mine
30. My favourite (made up) place | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
31. A Plot of Earth – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
32. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Blog of The Imaginator
33. House Of Horrors. | Yeahthtsme
34. A Plot of Earth | The Nameless One
35. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Waggingmytale’s Blog
36. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
37. Hypothetically Wealthy « Stuphblog
38. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « From the C-Sweet
39. My Dream Place « Now Writing Every Day
40. The Daily Prompt 20 « julianawoo47
41. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
42. Utopian Dynamo Ahoy! « theloneshewolf
43. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | The Blogging Path
44. A Sign Of Life
45. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « To Breathe is to Write
46. My little slice of Earth « thelissachronicles
47. Earth/bound « Eccentric and Bent
48. The plot of land « Master Of Disaster
49. Daily Prompt: A Plot Of Earth. | iamdeltapositivenegative
50. A Plot of Earth | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
51. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | allergictolifemybattle
52. Daily Prompt: Planted « One Starving Activist
53. Friday Fictioneers, 22 February 2013: Homestead « One Starving Activist
54. Plotting « Spunky Wayfarer
55. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | desabrat
56. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth: Vault 1 | I really just pretend to know stuff
57. Yay I get to create my own kingdom! | She Said What?
58. A Plot of Earth: A Delight in Winter as Well as Summer « motherofnine9
59. Plot of Earth – Do Not Go Gently …Without Your Friends « Chasing Rabbit Holes
60. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « huntprayerpoems
61. A Haven of Possibility « Write Love Live
62. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Something Unspoken
63. Bienvenidos « – ellikitty –
64. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Lines by Linda
65. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « happilybackward
66. Plot Development | Mike Sensitivity
67. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Without Doubt | Loading…
68. The Best-Laid Plots « Deep in the Heart of Textiles
69. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Sohee
70. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Code For Confession
71. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Joe’s Musings
72. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « Fly for Icarus
73. A Simply Spiritual Sanctuary | Wiley’s Wisdom
74. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth « baka’s blog
75. A Plot of Earth | Drama Queen Under the Sun
76. Yesterdays Daily Prompt | beautifulmess916
77. From Nothing to Something | sat n’ all that
78. Haiku: A Plot Of Land By The Sea… | Mirth and Motivation
79. Haiku: A Plot Of Land By The Sea… – The Blog FarmThe Blog Farm
80. The Quiet One | Heaven on Earth
81. Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | A Hedonistic Wander
82. I have the money and the land!!! | MindBlur
83. This Land Is My Land – A Daily Prompt Post | Edward Hotspur
84. Daily Prompt: Beach Retreat | marsocmom
85. New post Daily Prompt: A Plot of Earth | Family Photos Food & Craft