Hey there everyone.
Today we have a very interesting guest for you, in the form of author Ryter Rong, as she talks about her novel “Ireland Calls My Name” and how she approaches this writing lark to give us her own thoughts on writing advice.
Pull up a seat, grab a tasty beverage and put your feet up, as we get down to business.
Hi there Ryter, thank you being our esteemed guest over at my blog today, we really can’t wait to hear more about your work.
Let’s start with your novel “Ireland Calls My Name.” Why did you call it that specifically and what is the connection with Ireland regarding the story and protagonists? Please let us know more about it and the challenges the heroine eleven year-old Talisyn O’Reilly faces across the course of the book.
My book is about the rarely talked about subject of Irish slavery. They say that no one ever returned to Ireland after being sold into slavery. Talisyn is one of those that were sold by Oliver Cromwell after the attack by the British on Drogheda. She longs to go home. Ireland calls to her heart every single day. She hears it calling her name. Talisyn endures much, especially for an eleven year old child. She sees many horrors. Things like murder, betrayal, rape, even innocent people burned alive in a church. And she experiences the horror of being place on an auction block and sold into slavery. Another thing she experiences is the gift of foresight. She is psychic, though it does her no good in changing the future. What is meant to happen will happen one way or another.
If your novel was to be made into a movie, who would you cast in the lead roles?
Elena Satine as Talisyn O’Reilly and Chris O’Neal as Zxander.
Do you work to an outline/plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
When I write, I simply sit down with my computer and see what shows up on the screen. My characters tell me their story. I am just as surprised as the reader when I see the things that happen, as they happen.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
Margaret Mitchell was my biggest influence, but I also love Nicholas Sparks. He writes in a way that is easy to read. You find yourself living in his books and standing in the room with his characters, eavesdropping. I want my books to read like that as well.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Any and every historical book I can get my hands on. I wanted this book to be riddled with accurate historical facts. It’s important to me that the readers learn about this part of our forgotten or hidden history.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I write because I have to write. I have been making up stories ever since I could talk. As a small child I was told they were called lies. As I grew I learned to differentiate between entertaining or enlightening stories and actual lies. I was born this way.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
In all honesty, I take a break from the current book I am working on and either watch a movie or binge watch a TV show or start another book. It’s not uncommon for me to have more than one book going at a time.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
When I am not writing, I am visiting with family and friends, painting, drawing, or going for walks. I love time with people and I love solitude.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline? Can we expect to see sequels for “Ireland Calls My Name”?
I am currently working on a couple books. One is the sequel to Ireland Calls My Name. It is about an smaller character that many have gotten attached to. I didn’t expect that to happen, but upon many requests, I am telling the story of Naomie. People need to know what the Gypsy people endured, too.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Even if you only write a sentence a day, write. Think of how much you would have done at the end of a year if you do write a small bit each day. And write down all your ideas.
One of our biggest lies that we tell ourselves is…I will remember to write it down later. The idea will disappear into the abyss if you do not jot it down immediately. I use my notes in my phone.
And that’s a wrap!
Thank you for having me.
Ryter Rong — her name symbolizes controversy. Pen to paper, Ryter Rong is a breath of fresh air doing what few are willing to do: write fact-fiction filled with historical truths of love and drama for a people that now finally (because of her) have a voice. Join her on this first saga release for an unforgettable adventure in the life of eleven- year-old Talisyn O’Reilly. She was taken to be a young slave during a great Irish genocide. The small fiery redhead ended up in Barbados. There she was able to slip free from her captors to stow away on a ship she thought would take her to freedom only to discover that it was a cargo ship of more slaves…this time…African slaves. Across the way she meets and befriends a young boy—Zxander. They are bought by the same owner who intends to breed them for a unique livestock once they are of age. The question is: Will they be able to escape before that day comes?
You can contact Ryter on the following Social Media platforms:-
You can buy her book here:-
Canada:- Buy Ireland Calls My Name in Canada
UK/Europe:- Buy Ireland Calls My Name in UK/Europe
US/Rest of the World:- Buy Ireland Calls My Name in US/Rest of the World
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, Ryter is taking us on an epic journey in her novel and there is a Daily Prompt over at The Daily Post on the theme of ‘Journey’. For more articles relating to this specific theme then check out the links below:-
1. Saint P. Blogging – Prompt for the Day: “Journey”
2. Petra Omoregie Caroline – New Facebook group created to support you during your journey to get the best sunrise photos and improve your health.
3. Where the glacier meets the sky – Army of the fallen bikers
4. Op weg – @Peter’s Blog
5. Like A Mother! – Luminous Feathers
6. My Journey Begins – A Pre-Published Indie Author
7. Sprawly – Away We Go
8. Pushing my limits… a trail to recovery – My Cancered Life
9. Wanderlust – A new chapter – My Daily Post Challenges in Switzerland
10. The Daily Prompt – Lost Property Repository
11. Just Smile – ~The Pink Lemonade Ladies~
12. Note to My 12-Year Old Self – Samelia Bankole
13. Stay in the fight. – xtracheeseplease
14. Heartbeat! (CHAPTER 4)THE HEART FEELS HIS JOY! – exploradors!!
15. From Perth to St Kilda: A Photographer’s Journey – Karen Thorburn Photography
16. Iamabloggertoo – Journey-licious
17. The Bus Journey – Double Etheree – ladyleemanila
18. The Penny Dreadful Project – Anywhere but Here
19. Finding Your Next BIG Book with Napoleon Hill – Success in Spry
20. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – MY JOURNEY
21. The vessel I walk this Earth in – Oh, border!
22. Never on track – ideas and culture
23. round the world with my family – Glorious Weekend in Seville
24. Sandmanjazz – The Family Jules
25. Dear Younger Me… – TEMENOS CIRCLE
26. Yellow Goals – Gold inside
27. Journey – Words in verse…..
28. Seed to Tree – Luminous Feathers
29. “Journey” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
30. Your Journey, Your way – thenoticeable
31. Petra Omoregie Caroline – Day 2 Caroline’s 30 days sunrise photo and health challenge
32. The Journey Inwards – bantering bangalorean
33. Positively Un-broken – Journey
34. Penz4Lipz – Traveling the Journey of False Truths
35. life is a journey – Love it Now
36. Penz4Lipz – Travelling the Journey of Lies
37. Week 28. Ends at sunrise – writing blog
38. Journey: Appearing “Normal” – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
39. Journey – Being Human, Being Deaf & Everything in Between
40. A Texan’s View of Upstate New York – Dear Husband,
41. my journey out of the storm – my sweetpainteddreams
42. theblackwallblog – My Journey
43. #tbt – Wyoming – Shark in the City
44. To see a volcano up close someday. – indigoandskyflower
45. As I See Things – Monsoon, Mountains, Monkeys & Maize at Matheran
46. witchlike – Alice’s Journey
47. LONGLEAF STORIES – Journey By Night
48. Journey – Open Window in a Closed Space
49. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – How A Journey Differs From a Mere Trip
50. This Journey called life – Sanch Writes
51. Journey of life – Sanch Writes
52. The Zen Hiker – The Journey of Life
53. Purposive Writer – A Journey With God
54. Travel Hotspot: London – Crystallized
55. olivia in la la land – Today was a magical day
56. C.A. SANTIAGO – Who are you?
57. Travel Much? – The Cursed Forest
58. The journey from the known to Unknown – Close to You
59. Run Melbourne – Deb’s World
60. What you do when the storm is coming? – iamioana
61. My Writing Journey – Some More Fiction
62. Souls Journey – From Bus To Home
63. A Day In The Life – A Journey and A Guest
64. I Hope I Always Do – Explore and Learn
65. Why We Hope – Explore and Learn
66. Star-Trip – StrangeLander2015
67. Dreams Apart – mdblogweb
68. Kill it before it kills you-A sad story not meant for week hearted. – crystalamay
69. Journey – Inside The Writer’s Closet
70. slideaways – show me something red
71. Success Inspirer’s World – Nothing should stop you
72. The road we walked on – greyandgreyer
73. Frank Prem – breeze and leaf
74. It was 1966… – Uma’s life and thoughts
75. Feorbeund – Journey: Fictional Prompt
76. radical slip of mind – What Journey?
77. themomfred – Journey’s End
78. It’s about the “Journey” – YOLOcruz
79. another quiet muse – Journey From My First Person
80. Daily Prompt – Journey – Short Story – Brandon’s Rambling Writing
81. Fluffy Pool – Kittens
82. Who I Was – Thoughts On Going Home (Reprise)
83. Frank Prem – distance across ford street
84. Frank Prem – oma rocks the cradle
85. Journey’s End – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
86. Stormchaser – Mac’s World
87. First Stop Kuwait – True_George
88. Anonymous in Cali – the forest and everything in between
89. Journey through the Web
90. inspiration in progress – One Bad Step
91. A Writer’s Mind – A Worn Path
92. “The Journey?” – A lot from Lydia
93. Sonder Stories – Treacherous Paths
94. B/W Commute – KATALOGUE
95. Bat those eyelashes, Lassie 🙂 – Ramblings of a crazy author
96. Brendon Ward – A Mistaken Journey
97. Measuring up Small? – Savory, Spicy, Sweet
98. Cryptic Clandestine – A New Journey
99. story of a wheel: a haiku – Praise Word Spaces
100. adarkenedhouse – walking
101. Sound Mind travel (haiku and prose) – deja vu: a haiku journey
102. domestic diva – Where books Can take you…
103. Journey – The RANDOMNESS that is WE
104. Journey and the Dalai Lama – simplycathrynblog
105. Mainline_Matter – Journey Ends
106. Journey Through The Woods – Heaven’s Sunshine
107. photos by Wild Thing – 1968
108. Rob’s Surf Report – Woolgathering Wednesday
109. Put It DOWN!!!! – Just SHAVE your LEGS!
110. Journey – blackcattwriting
111. Read and Write Here – Standstill
112. Lost Property Repository – The Daily Prompt
113. you and me. – lemonadeletter
114. Paradise Lost: Infernal Monologue – Fantasy Raconteur
115. Living Out Loud – JOURNEY
116. Journey – Long walks and dark chocolate
117. deetravelssite.wordpress.com – Journey
118. I have lived a thousand lives – Onto My Next 40 Years
119. CRAVE – Daily One Word Prompt-Journey
120. U.S. Road Trip: LA, CA > Washington D.C. – Ambitions as a Writer
121. Journey – Caroline: Post-Grad
122. Journey through History, Filtered – The Page Turns
123. Developing Your Eye
124. artifiswords – JOURNEY
125. Hale-Bopp Comet – MyBlog
126. Harking — Yet Another Travelogue – Rose Glace’s Blog
127. Le Drake Noir – We’re all explorers
128. This is Another Story – Journey Home
129. Ruminations of an Old Soul – Coffee and Reading
130. Delicate Little Thang and Buffalo Gal – Journey of a Thousand Fears
131. The Meek Chic – Wayfarer
132. Journey – z a y n e e a . n e t
133. This One’s For You, David! – Inner Whispers
134. Chasing Twilight – Evergreen
135. a contemplative heart – Journey
136. Adventure to Nothing – Vivid Dreamer
137. Ruminations of an Old Soul
138. Journey – Scott’s website
139. Journey ~ Ailbhe – Word Adventures
140. Journey – world4womencom
141. Journey – btopasna
142. Belinda O – Back Where I Started
143. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – My Life’s Journey
144. ‘Left behind: baby shoes. Clearly worn’ – The Last Blog Available
145. Life With Z Star: Father’s Day – Sydney David
146. Entrepreneurial Journey – She’s Fiercely Ambitious
147. journey of a lifetime – wanderlust from pa
148. Chasing Life and Finding Dreams – Journey to War
149. moscatoandtea – The Untitled One.
150. My son’s journey ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
151. Turn That Radio Up – Road To Nowhere
152. Just Like No One Else – Journey (and Pokemon Go)
153. Foreign – Painted in words
154. The Journey – ondarkerdays
155. The under-appreciated moments of being on the way – In The Soul’s Streets
156. And miles to go before I sleep… – Hubbhalal
157. Happiness is a Journey: IBMC #10
158. The Failing Buddhist – If Iâ€™m Out Of My Mind, Where Have I Gone?
159. Journey’s Start – Threewheelergran
160. Journey – Fair Creature of an Hour
161. Walking – Jane Dougherty Writes
162. The Journey – The Inkwell
163. Hero’s Journey – Views From Around the Corner
164. Miss Pelican’s Perch – At the Oracle
165. Grit through – ink and toast
166. coldhandswarmheartsblog – I saw Mr President cry
167. April’s Perspective – Journey from Reality to Fantasy
168. An Age of Woe – Fantasy Raconteur
169. Flowers and Breezes – Journey
170. Power of prompts: journey – powerofmovies
171. The Event – Explore with Mafaza
172. multiplemyelomaandme – A Long a Road Ahead
173. Journey – Little April Shower
174. Musings of a Random Mind – Traveling in the Time of Diarrhea
175. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Journey
176. Prompt for the Day: “Journey” – saintpblogging BlogJob site
177. Joes-Fotowelten – A Journey into the north / Lofoten
178. 4-BON VOYAGE-Pack up soon – All Madams
179. To Wear A Rainbow – a small journey…haiku
180. XingfuMama – Journey to a magic kingdom
181. End of One, Start of Another – Laura E. Brown Online
182. Prompt for the Day: “Journey” – Saint P. Blogging
183. Daily Post-Journey – newtoomeyhorizon
184. carolinecuttingblog – Journey.
185. Locking Horns! – pins & ashes
186. Siena Writes Things – Journey
187. curvylou – Silly Me
188. This Journey – This Sub Rosa Life
189. Betrayal of Destinations – Where’s the Windmill?
190. The Journey – eddaz
191. My Five Journeys – Crusty Monkeys
192. Jibber Jabber with Sue – Let Me Take You On a Journey…
193. SERENDIPITY – BISHOP’S FINAL JOURNEY – GARRY ARMSTRONG
194. Indira’s Blog – Journey- The daily post
195. frankgalatas – Journey into the Forest
196. Awl and Scribe – Journey
197. On a journey and back again – In my world
198. Journey – Allison’s Written Words
199. Light & life – I Could Get Squashed.
200. Journey – wordsareallihavesite
201. sheetalbravon – Connect / Photo challenge
202. Should you go on vacation? – Bee Organized with Pamela
203. Journey of my Life.
204. Birthday OOTD – ONE MORE SHOT PLEASE
205. Beauty Of A Journey! – Some More Fiction
206. my capsule wardrobe- part four – ink and toast
207. Gothic Vadess40 – Update on my Journey
208. theblackwallblog – 40 Synonyms for Inspirational
209. Giggles & Tales – Journey – The Daily Prompt!
210. Life is Truly a Journey…. – Emanate KINDNESS… Demonstrate INTEGRITY… Honor thy NATURE…. Encourage GREATNESS… Become a K.I.N.G.
211. Poem-The Step I Take – jotabouts
212. My Knitting Is With Me – Laura’s Place
213. Travel Much? – Beautiful Sejero¸, Denmark
214. The Journey to Discover Yourself – Think, Dream, & Believe
215. masihbersambung – Walk under the Rain (and Frog Quiz)
216. E. Denise Billups – Journey
217. I Lost You in Croatia – Ripples of Truth
218. Maid’s Day Off – The Maid Goes to Maine – Part 4: Going Up (Coast) to Get Down (East)
219. The Greatest Journey of My Time – Dreamer on a Cloud
220. Frankly, My Dear… – Call Me Incorrigible
221. Live-Life… – All set to explore…
222. Grammy Writes – Our Journey, My Love
223. The happy Quitter! – It’s not a Problem to be solved
224. The Uncertain Path Ahead – The Strangest Human
225. Happiness is not a Destination – It is the Journey – Author Tony Damian, RMT, CMT on Self-Healing
226. Are We There Yet: Beating Exhaustion at It’s Own Game – theturtleoffice
227. B_ up to date – The tiny in the great
228. 83 Unsung Heroes – It’s About The Destination, Not The Journey
229. THE ICONOPHILE – The Shadow of a Wish
230. Plan B – In Search of Solitude
231. Uphill – speaking up for myself
232. The Eye of a Thieving Magpie – Eye See You
233. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Home Traveler
234. Life with Jess – The First Step
235. contactchrislogan – Haiku
236. 11 Blocks… – Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
237. Don’t just smile… – clumsyandsilly
238. Night Journey – Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky
239. kStan(ly) kSays – Orbital Plane – for Leighann
240. Journey – shecloudwalker
241. Journey to the temple of Nakodaji – Hi India
242. kristinakoti – Drained Immortal
243. contactchrislogan – My first Haiku (ever)
244. Journey – calliemm
245. rhymeagination – THE USUAL JOURNEY SHENANIGANS
246. Full-Time – Possibility
247. Like the Lamp – Divergence
248. myfavouriite – I wish for journey around the world
249. Breaking the chains holding me back – findingyourowntruthblog
250. Journey to the center of your heart – Ms Skyfall
251. If I were a bird – ramblingsofreticentrisb
252. Coloring Outside the Lines – Journey
253. The Start of #ShoutYourStrong – Shout Your Strong
254. married with a view – The 12am to Munich
255. Climb On – Shout Your Strong
256. Pretty Happy – Shout Your Strong
257. kStan(ly) kSays – the journey into work each day
258. Relax – At all times, the times, they are a-changin’
259. Rebellion, Jesus, and Christianity – Lance Price Blog 2016
260. The Sleeping Reading Beauty ~ book reviews – Yes Sir! Dessert Sir!
261. Wordless Wednesday: A New Journey In Nature – whippetwisdom.com
262. Her difficult journey – short story – Writing Beyond Ordinary
263. Traversing Lines – The Voice
264. Kimberlee K. – 50 Shades of Green (Ireland Day #1)
265. Kimberlee K. – Whiskey & Kilkenny (Ireland Day #2)
266. Kimberlee K. – A Mouthful of Blarney (Ireland Day #3)
267. Babsje Heron – Beautiful Great Blue Heron Winging Across the Waters
268. The Journey… – YUDITH’S Journal
269. Journey of the Zombies – mySestina
270. Several Words About Getting Lost – Angel or Devil?
271. Michael J. Fite – What Is Your Journey?
272. Writer’s Journey – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
273. A Never Ending Journey – Nightmare Hope
274. Ripples n Reflections – A Journey – Ripples N Reflections
275. kristinakoti – At some points in our lives
276. The beautiful stranger – Awordseeker
277. devildollmusings – Kryptonite
278. Life lessons – Selah Ministries
279. Locking Horns! – pins & ashes
280. thestoryoft – True Self
281. Willow – Explore Pets
282. JOURNEY – quandarysite
283. Discovering Self-Compassion – Pain(t)h.D.
284. Victor Barrio: A new kind of death? – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
285. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Train Of Thoughts
286. From Cyndi to Bob – Simply Complicated Yanina
287. Zombie Flamingos – A Garden Glimpse
288. Blogger Recognition Award! – Word Exorcist
289. Peaceful Journey – The Journey
290. Swans – wordsonwings
291. Sara Ackerman, author – Mother Nature is trying to Kill Us
292. Your boy – zorazebic
293. Murphy’s law – juanita394
294. End of the Rainbow? – Steve Grundy Photography
295. Jeff Cann – Worms
296. Common Pursuit – Then and Now
297. The Gad About Town – Sentimental Journeys
298. Lost Property Repository – Journey
299. Designer Sophisticate – Don’t Stop Believin’.
300. Subhash Chatterjiâ’s Agile World – IT’S THE SECOND ANNIVERSARY OF AGILEOPEDIA
301. A Vibrant Palette – Our Journey
302. Journeys – Ever wondered why…
303. kStan(ly) kSays – Ways to Keep Warm
304. THE OLD FORGOTTEN LANES – The World As I See It
305. Journey of Life #No short cuts please #Suspense is essential – Aastha
306. Journey to the Sun – wordsonwings
307. Heaven’s Shore- Our final Beach – writealineblog
308. Journey – Who Narrated This?
309. the15thday – journey of life, a (an?) haiku
310. The Journey – writealineblog
311. Journey – Daily Prompt – ladyleemanila
312. Journey [195/365] – Tassitus
313. Mosaic Journey – farrahstyles
314. Moving – Ashquill
315. poetry penned in moon dust – Space the final… #onewordprompt #fiction #amwriting
316. Blogging-me – Sithu’s
317. Writing Prompt Response: Journey Poem – KimKnight_Author
318. The path to London doesn’t glitter – Geek Ergo Sum
319. thelonerose – Anticipation
320. Life-A Journey – The Mistful Mind
321. My Travels – Just Writing!
322. Journey – The Daily Post – D.B. Mauldin
323. The Wandering Poet – DP Prompt ~ Journey
324. Passion through Poetry – Journey
325. Vexing Point – Journey
326. Boring Bug – What my mirror reflection is telling me?
327. Wanderer – Blog of Hammad Rais
328. Absolutely Positive – Sunken Thought