The weekend starts here and what better way to celebrate than getting to know another amazing author.
For your reading pleasure tonight, I give you our esteemed guest author J.B Havens and her novels jam packed with military thriller action. Join us now as she steals our breath away and gets our pulses racing.
Hey there J.B. – thank you for taking the time to be with us today to talk about your Military action thrillers and your writing processes.
Let’s start with all of your novels from your Steel Corps Series. I believe you have just released the third book in the series. Tell us more about the unifying themes of the books, along with the characters and the adventures that they find themselves encountering as the bullets and mayhem start flying.
In the first book, Core of Steel, it’s a lot of character building, followed by intense action. What I tried to showcase with Mic was her innate ability to be a leader to these men and survive impossible situations. Steel Corps is sent on a mission to Colombia to recuse an informant for M1-6 and assassinate the head of the Fernando drug cartel and a mysterious figure known only as The Frenchie. That’s the basic mission, but there is so much more than that.
Before they can go, they need another man on the team for the mission. Corporal Chris Jordon is brought in and Mic has to train him in a very short time frame. Only, against her will she finds him very attractive — an attraction she refuses to act on. I tried to explore how she is hard and determined, willing to do just about anything to complete her mission. In this first book, is where the reader really begins to learn who Mic is and just what she stands for. The loss of a team mate hits them all very hard and leaves you hanging, wondering what is coming next.
Book two, Hardened by Steel, is a continuation of the first book. Remnants of the Fernando cartel come back to haunt Steel and this time they must go to Mexico. A replacement for their fallen team mate arrives and he’s not welcomed with open arms.
While solving that conflict more trouble arises for Steel. A person from Mic’s past is in danger and she has to save them, even as she does, Mic unearths old personal demons she thought long dead. Then, Mic is forced into giving herself up into the hands of a real madman, Julio. A butcher and serial killer. The beauty of Mic is that she’s flawed. She’s no superhero. She’s human and feels fear and despair. I take her to the brink, only to bring her back again.
Book three, Forged by Steel, picks up five days after the end of Hardened. Mic is down, but not out. The team is really rallying around her. Jordon is by her side more than ever and their relationship continues to develop. We find out more about Rook, the newest team member as well as an international player. The very core of steel is shattered in this book with a plot twist that no one will see coming (or so I hope!)
The biggest theme throughout the books I would say is torture. Both actual and emotional. Of the characters and their enemies. Why they are who they are and what has shaped them into being these deadly warriors.
I understand that you are also involved with a crossover project with Samantha Cole, who I have previously interviewed recently about her writing processes and books (See Author Interview – Samantha A. Cole – Trident Security Services & Malone Brothers). Can you tell us more about this crossover project of her Trident Security Services series and your Steel Corps series, how this idea came about between you and what you are enjoying most about the collaborative process with Samantha? (The anticipated release of these crossover novels is towards the end of this year – check out Samantha’s blog for further updates)
Sam and I met through The Lincoln Fund last year. It’s an online annual auction to raise funds to get service dogs for service members with PTSD and other issues. She helps to organize it and I donated last year. We began talking and reading each other’s books and realized just how similar our characters are in some way. Steel and Trident fit together like puzzle pieces. It was Sam’s idea to do the crossover novels and I jumped at the chance to work with her. She’s a fantastic writer, with an amazing ability to create her wonderful characters.
One of her characters, T. Carter, is sort of the male counterpart to Mic. These have been a joy to write. Sam is amazing to work with. It’s a lot of communication and compromise. We constantly email each other back and forth with edits and additions, etc. It’s a true collaboration. In many ways, I feel like writing these novellas has made me a better writer.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The most difficult thing about writing I think would be, not so much the writing itself but everything else that comes with being an indie author. You’re responsible for all your own advertising and promotions, etc. Plus I find editing a challenge. It gives me a migraine every time but it must be done. There is so much more to writing than just putting pen to page.
The easiest, I think would be talking with fans and the stories themselves. Sure, there are moments when I stare at the blank screen, begging my mind to start working but for the most part, it’s easy and fun. Creating an entirely new world and pushing your characters through it. It’s a great feeling of accomplishment when the book is finished.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
Mark Tufo is a big one, he weaves humour and horror together seemingly effortlessly when I know it’s anything but. He’s a master and I strive to be at his level. Cristin Harber, both for her writing and her level of success as an indie author. Everyone starts somewhere and I hope one day to be at her level.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Well it depends, I’ve used everything from Google Street View to get a look at Russia to talking to vets about the most effective way to kill someone with a knife. One particular time, a friend of my family is a former sniper and he told me the best place to shoot someone so there was no twitching or danger of reflexive trigger pulls. Being a writer is never boring.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I’ve always had a lover for reading. From a very young age, I read just about anything I could get my hands on. As a teenager, I dabbled a bit in short stories and bad poetry. It wasn’t until about two years ago that I got the idea for Mic and Steel and began writing seriously. I really strive to write the sort of book I would want to read. It’s about quality work.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I’ve had writer’s block a few times and each time I’ve had to work through it differently. Sometimes it’s a matter of reading through what I’ve already written or just talking about it with a fellow writer. You have to keep at it. Sometimes it’s like your brain seizes up and you can’t squeeze one more ounce of creativity from it. That’s a myth. It’s there, locked away, the trick is accessing it. Some writers don’t believe in writers block. I do, having been there. Another thing that works is writing, something, anything, even if you delete it later. You have to exercise the muscle or it’s useless.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Spending time with my family, reading, cooking, or watching whichever TV show I’m hooked on at the moment. Right now I’m addicted to Supernatural and Shameless.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Besides No Way In Hell, with Sam Cole I’m working on a full length novel for a character I debuted in my anthology, Beyond the Night. Her name is Molly and she carries a razor wire wrapped Louisville Slugger to brain zombies with. It’s great.
I’m a huge fan of all things zombie and knew I had to write one. Molly feels as if she’s got a lot of stories to tell and since the release of the anthology she’s the one most people are asking to see more of. While writing Molly’s book, I am also working on Bound by Steel, book four in the Steel Corps series.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Hire a professional editor, use beta readers, grow a thick skin and stay humble. Oh and do your best to NOT respond to negative reviews. It’s a general no-no. I can’t say that I’ve always abided by that bit of advice, but in general, it’s best to take the high road and keep your mouth shut. No matter how much your writer’s ego was damaged. Everyone gets negative reviews. Everyone. Don’t take it to heart. Not everyone is going to love your book, the sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.
And that’s a wrap! You’ve been a wonderful guest JB and it’s been great having you here.
J. B. Havens is a wife and mother of three. When not with her family she is writing, researching, or furiously reading on her kindle. She has a serious love affair with coffee and a good Philly cheesesteak. She is currently busy plotting and writing the next book in the Steel Corps series.
You can connect to her on the following Social Media platforms:-
Amazon Author Page:-J.B. Havens Amazon Author Page
Facebook:- J.B. Havens – Author (FB)
Instagram:- jbhavensauthor (Instagram)
Twitter:- J.B. Havens – Author (Twitter)
Website:- J.B. HAVENS OFFICIAL AUTHOR PAGE – HOME OF STEEL CORPS
You can buy her books here:-
Canada:- Buy J.B. Havens books in Canada
UK/Europe:- Buy J.B. Havens books in UK/Europe
US/Rest of the World:- Buy J.B. Havens books in US/Rest of the World
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, J.B.’s characters are in the military and are loyal, dependable and fierce creatures to deal with. For more articles regarding the ‘Fierce’ prompt, check out the links below:-
1. shame – I am my mother’s wild future
2. Fluffy Pool – After a fierce struggle…
3. A World at War – Eagle’s Wing Ministries
4. OMG! I found a super awesome The Legend of the Sun Knight (doujin) fan-made comic – Intense Mode
5. Travel Much? – Dublin much? Viking legacy
6. Fierce – Words For Leaving
7. The Cliffhanger Chronicle – The Queen of Ranthambore
8. Theresa Barker – Lab Notes – to the tune of tossed stones
9. Fierce is the Prompt for the Day – Saint P. Blogging
10. Walfred Photography – Fierce
11. The snail – zorazebic
12. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – FIERCE
13. My Mixed Blog – Fierce Forest Fires
14. Almost, Almost – Fierce
15. Journey to the West Part II- the Waters – The Looking Glass
16. Balls like Olivia – just a little magic
17. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – The Black Files: A Slither of Truth
18. This, On Purpose – She Who Roars.
19. Life – World Through My Eyes
20. Le Drake Noir – Rather restless than calm
21. Writer 873 – Two Prompts In One
22. Shiver me timbers, it’s cold in Sri Lanka? – Uma’s life and thoughts
23. Jaws vs. The Dispossessed – Bolognese’s Blog
24. Lori’s Life and Other Stuff – Tattoo Part Two
25. Twinkie Talks – Fierce
26. Moonlight Reflections – Fierce
27. Meet Greece’s 4 Fab Winners of the 66-Hour TV License Auction… – GREECE LISTS
28. artifiswords – FIERCE
29. “Fierce.” – Nomadic Adventurer
30. Honderd berichten gepubliceerd Theo Herbots // Hundred messages published Theo Herbots // – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
31. whennothingworks – Fierce
32. Love Used Books, Hate Shopping for Them? Amazon to the Rescue – onturningpages
33. Engrossed – Angela Montijo
34. Tribal Wars: It Has Started – Its Just Life
35. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN – Word Press site is down again!
36. Waarom Theo Herbots liefhebben? Why love Theo Herbots? – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
37. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN – First day of school always intimidating
38. Light Motifs – Tiger Girl
39. Fierce – Pink Blossom
40. So Rise and Shine (Motivational Video) – Creating K.I.N.G.S
41. Lesson to Be – The Chaos Within
42. Fierce look – History Speaks Now!
43. Shiver Dem Bones| The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude
44. Lost Property Repository – Murder Club
45. Kalaripayattu: martial art form of Kerala – Don’t hold your breath
46. Standisms: life through my eyes – Fiery by Nature, or am I?
47. eladybug52 – Fierce love
48. CONSUMING – bettygich
49. Making Up For The Days Lost – Melolontha by the River
50. Gone Girl… – Mes Livres
51. Love Ardently, Deeply and Intensely – Ms Skyfall
52. kristinakoti – Profile: Blogger
53. The Wish Factor – Daily Post Challenge: Fierce
54. Fierce – WORDS from SONOBE
55. Once Upon A Fragile Mind – Leigha Robbins
56. Meet Me in Nevada – The Talkative Girl
57. whatamberthinks – Fierce..
58. The Showers of Blessing – Gently, not Fierce
59. helen meikle’s scribblefest – Daily prompt: Slavering beast
60. inspiration in progress – #GordDowniesCanada
61. kindergartenknowledge.com – The Fierce Yellowstone.
62. The Fierce Pierce – rupalislale
63. For My Daughter… – Misfit Spirit
64. The night I was fierce – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
65. Ideas for Teaching Ag – Fierce
66. Fierce – Mac’s World
67. eladybug52 – Fierce love
68. another quiet muse – Fierce Companion
69. School – Time
70. Lisa’s Journal Blog – Fierce Dancers
71. Moonlight Murder – Alchemy of Story
72. a daily storm – know my heart
73. Twisted Roads of Madness – Day 112 – Something Fierce – Daily Prompt, The Roundhead Prelude 3, dare the share..
74. My Luck – A lot from Lydia
75. Video Inspirational Words — Top 20 Best Chinese Proverbs Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
76. FaithWalkingHebrews11:1 – Taming the Fierce Woman
77. The Daily Post – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit – Fierce
78. Making it write – The ways of love
79. It’s All in Finding the Right Words – Fierce
80. April’s Perspective – Fierce Fighter
81. B_ up to date – Pentatomidae
82. Sun and Moon – The ink drop
83. Giggles & Tales – The Daily Prompt – Fierce!
84. Think About It – The Jungle
85. Life in a Few Words – Ferocious Consumer
86. To the Ladies – English Lit Geek
87. Sound and Sense – English Lit Geek
88. Womanhood – Stories from A Closet of Errors
89. Monster. – intertwinethestars
90. Cage Dunn: Writer and Author – Finding the _ref
91. Daily Writing Prompt:Why is Kate Brown so Fierce? Character POV – Kim Knight_Author
92. Chris Writes – Fierce Wind
93. manvsloneliness – Day 57: The Man and the Daily Prompt; ‘Fierce’
94. Hold Me Gently – writealineblog
95. Autism in Our Nest – Bridging Comprehension Gaps
96. Belinda O – Break Gently
97. The Mocking Bird – Making Sense of Complications
98. Fierce – Image & Word
99. hoosiersunshine13 – Bones
100. Always and Forever – A Mile In My Shoes
101. Fierce – Live, Laugh, Love Writing.
102. Fierce – disue
103. Shakespeare’s Sugar Spun Sister – How to be Fierce.
104. Laced – indisputably inconclusive
105. The Quiet Fierceness of Everyday Life – Because the Law Bores Me
106. thestoryoft – Not the Mom I thought I was…
107. Consummation – indisputably inconclusive
108. Fierce – Vermont Book Works
109. words… – Love it Now
110. Sandmanjazz – The Tigress of Manchester
111. Fierce – Awordseeker
112. Fierce – A Thomas Point of View
113. In Which We Wax Anthropomorphic – genusrosa
114. Tigress – november child
115. MY ENDURING BONES – YAY ME!
116. To Wear A Rainbow – safe…haiku
117. Galen911 – “I’m Afraid There’s No Denyin’… I’m Just A Dandy-Lion”
118. Fierce – Caillen James –Author
119. Awl and Scribe – Fierce
120. Anirban Blogs – She Wouldn’t Take No For An Answer
121. The Desert’s Voice, More Fierce – Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky
122. August 2016 Miles – Sneakers on Pavement
123. Insach – Fierce
124. How to make your own WordPress Site? //Hoe een eigen WordPress-Site maken ? Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
125. FIERCE – Tales & Trails
126. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN – Fierce battle for seeds, water, shade
127. Eye Crosser #5: What is Inflation? – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
128. How Do I Title This – ARJUN SHIVARAM
129. dinamicdynasty – Fierce
130. wordsareallihavesite – Fierce
131. Crossing Colorado – Are Intense Workouts Right for Everyone?
132. Great Recession Retrospective Redux – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
133. The Gad About Town – The Fierce Urgency of ‘No’
134. Lonely No More – atrangizindagieksafar
135. rhymeagination – STORM ON PAPER
136. She’s Fierce – Rhea Khaira
137. a bliss of birds – A quiet word for an unrelenting moment
138. A Vibrant Palette – Different Sides
139. Flowers and Breezes – Fierce
140. K. Phoenix – Paying Homage To Our Fierce Women
141. Dreams in Alaska – The Mask
142. Fiercely Me – Behind the Purple Haze
143. FIERCE – Postcard from a Pigeon
144. ATG Successful Living – 30 Powerful Quotes for Women
145. Musically Reviewed – Fierce
146. A #Love As Violent As The #Wind – lovelyricism
147. There Are More Poets than Stars in the Firmament – the sand absorbs and hides the ancient ruins
148. The King and the Badger…it’s a metaphor – Caillen James –Author
149. Timeandreflections – Darjeeling has no Dirty streets
150. Fierce – Random Thoughts and Musings
151. SERENDIPITY – SMALL, FURRY, AND FIERCE
152. SBIG: Mothra and Florence Foster Jenkins – The Page Turns
153. 83 Unsung Heroes – Fierce Independence
154. The Day Project – Quitting while I’m ahead
155. Fiercely Motivated – eddaz
156. La Tour Abolie – A Lady Wot Lops
157. One year left to live. – PsychPerspectives
158. copypower – FIERCE – The Crest & Trough
159. Fiercely Viking – LazyHaze
160. The Blogger…the sixth – mum’s going nuts
161. Fierce creatures ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
162. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: The Fierce Feline
163. Fierce – Covert Novelist
164. The purple sunflower – Afterlife Love Story
165. Fiercely Grown – LIVING AND LEARNING
166. The Great Escape – Pete Gardner Psalms
167. Fierce-As Strong As One can Be! – Amna will Write
168. Martha L Shaw – LOVE IS GENTLE – LOVE IS . . . FIERCE?
169. Laurel Grove loves… – Are you a Peacock or a Puppy?
170. Lamont and Dude Ponder the One Story – Where’s the Windmill?
171. Michael J. Fite – How Do You Control Your Fierceness?
172. I Dream My Little Big Dream – Oh, border!
173. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Fierce, beware, I spit fire
174. Fierce or Sensitive? (More of Question Than An Actual Blog Post) – Jerome Danner
175. Fiercely Creative Writers Do This… – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
176. Devil Doll Musings – China Girl
177. Fierce – MistryLand
178. Fierce – Change Our Thinking
179. Joy Write – I dared to speak…
180. Suddenly Single in Marin – The last Love Letter from him…
181. Disillusioned: But It’s Okay – Justus Books
182. This Love – thebeckchronicles
183. Random Brain Musings – Path of No Resistance
184. Fierce? – Pippakin Talks Cats, Dogs, Teeth and Claws
185. Fierce: An overrated Affair – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
186. Unsent letter – writemebad
187. #LoveStory About the Frog III – mokita dreams
188. The Duel – YUDITH’S Journal
189. OLYMPIC DICK – Insidious Temptation
190. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Fierce
191. Turn That Radio Up – Better Than Revenge
192. kStan(ly) kSays – in need of some repair
193. Fierce – Asleep At The Wheel
194. Raja’s Short Stories – Daily Post Challenge #2 – Fierce
195. Fierce – iamdeltapositivenegative
196. Zombie Flamingos – WTF happened to Summer??
197. shroud – themanbehindtheglass
198. Now that’s what I call fierce – Bloggers Paradise
199. Fierce – In The Soul’s Streets
200. Fierce Reaction: Can I Try This With My Boss? – Justus Books
201. I wrote a book. Now what? – Bam! Pow! Kaboom!
202. Travel Much? – Italian Minestrone Soup
203. I don’t want to be fierce anymore – mum’s going nuts
204. Madeline Scribes – Gorillas in the Closet
205. Been There, Done That – The DADgum Blog
206. Wordless Wednesday: From Fierce Pace To Sleeping Space – whippetwisdom.com
207. Lost Property Repository – The Ultimate Boofhead Crossover
208. Fierce : Eagle – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
209. the15thday – with these legs? no sweetie, just…no.
210. Fiercer Than Natute – Jason Graff
211. NAMASTE. – A Labyrinth Of Sorts
212. Make Professional Voice Recordings on iPhone and Ipad with the Free App Voice Record Pro – Jacki Kellum
213. Southern By Design – Little Miss Independent
214. Boring Bug – It ain’t over until the Fat Lady Sings so!
215. My Journey to the West Part I – The Looking Glass
216. frightened to death – An Incorrigible Optimist
217. I’m Curious of Nature – mySestina
218. Yes, I Can be Fierce! – Just Writing!
219. Likeitiz – Let’s Join The Fiercies!
220. Fierce – Bits of Poems
221. Passion through Poetry – Fiercely
222. Our Random View – Fierce
223. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: fierce
224. the FLAVORED word – Secretly, I did flip off the village idiot …
225. Hot White Snow – You Don’t Know Jack
226. FIERCE – My QuotesVilla
227. The Wandering Poet – Wouldn’t want this moving
228. Boring Bug – It ain’t over until the Fat Lady Sings so!
229. Devil Doll Musings – Yes I am
230. Lantern Words – The Battle Fierce