Daily Prompt – Seconds
by Michelle W. on February 22, 2013
Describe the most satisfying meal you’ve ever eaten, in glorious detail.
I’ve taken my time with this prompt because food for me is such a glorious experience all the time, every time. There is no point explaining my best time when it comes to food because there have been too many, with many more to come!
(Although if you want some kind of indication of how I would describe what my best meals are like, you might as well try this:-
So, let’s subvert the prompt, whilst keeping in with the theme (broadly) and may I present a story for you to feast upon.
If you fancy seconds, I’d like to also take the opportunity to mention that this story has been inspired by and is a love letter to another truly excellent story by Lorrie at “circles under streetlights” (Follow her blog at circles under streetlights), who wrote a lovely, hugely entertaining story about the feelings of broccoli (Broccoli Gone Bad) – no broccoli is allowed to go bad in my house, it’s the law!
A Little Bit Of What You Fancy (by David Ellis)
“I’m the best she’ll never have!” Mr Scotchy Egg wailed, spraying pork crumbs everywhere.
“Don’t take it so hard son, it happens to the best of us. When she’s on a diet, she doesn’t take any prisoners!”
“That’s alright for you to say, Mr Grilled Chicken in a deliciously low fat white wine flavoured sauce but you do the vertical mambo with her a couple of times a week!”
Mr Grilled Chicken admired his perfect sculpted form in the fridge mirror.
“I admit that she has good taste and I’m in really good shape, there is hardly an ounce of fat on me at all but we’re all made different, we all have our own particular appealing qualities. You for example my friend are in the Finest Food range after all.”
“That’s just a label, a box they put me in, it doesn’t really define who I am, I’m not sexy at all, I know I taste good but I don’t particularly look good.” Mr Scotchy wiped a perspiratory tear from his packet.
Ms Spaghetti & Meatballs pulled the strands out of her eyes. “You think you’re bad Scotchy – look at my split ends, no-one is going to fancy this!”
Mr Grilled Chicken looked at her appraisingly, with much fondness and a twinkle in his eye.
“Ms Spaghetti, my Italian love, there is no way that anyone could simply not fancy you any day of the week!”
Ms Spaghetti blushed the colour of light parmesan and shook her soft curls, sending peppered dandruff everywhere.
“How saucy Mr Grilled Chicken!”
“You’d better believe it Bella Donna!”
“Jeez you two, why don’t you get a room!” Mr Scotchy Egg looked on at them enviously.
Ms Spaghetti & Meatballs frowned. “There’s only one other room in this motel and the air conditioning is broken – we would freeze to death! They never seem keen to fix it…”
Suddenly a door slammed out in the netherworld and noises punctuated the door, startling them in their tracks.
“Is it our gracious queen?” Mr Scotchy whispered, looking hopeful.
Mr Grilled Chicken craned his head. “I think it is her but she has company, who could it be?”
They all kept quiet and still until they heard the giant voice speak.
“You got anything to eat Tracy? I’m famished.”
“I think I have a scotch egg in the fridge.”
Mr Scotchy Egg could scarcely contain his eggcitement.
“I came to the party looking to leave with the prom queen but I got her best friend instead! See you on the other side guys!”
A light blinded them for a second and then he was gone.
Mr Grilled Chicken watched him go wistfully – “I’m glad he made it, he only had one more day left and he would have had an appointment with the big, black, silvery thing outside – no-one gets out of there alive!”
Ms Spaghetti & Meatballs looked into Mr Grilled Chicken’s eyes.
“Just you and me then honey?” She smiled and twirled herself around seductively.
“Should be – it’s Saturday today and she doesn’t do the weekly shop until tomorrow.”
They cuddled up together and dreamed every meal’s dream of being offered up on a smorgasbord platter with five types of cheese and wine by the bucketload. A world where ‘Diets’ were the name of an unpopular British folk duo band from the sixties that no-one cared to listen to.
A bottle of champagne cheekily bubbled up next to them.
“Here’s to making new friends tomorrow – I heard on the grapevine she is going to have a naughty day and get some chocolate cake!”
They all sighed in contentment – it was the naughty days that really made life worth living.
You still want more? Seconds not enough for you? Well how about thirds, fourths, fifths, hell, all you can eat from my fellow bloggers below 🙂
But first – read this, it tickled me pink! Shakespeare and mayo, what a combination!
1. Seconds! – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
2. Seconds(and not just the food) « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
3. Ilya Fostiy. Food of the Gods | Philosophy & Photography
4. Food. | Hope* the happy hugger
5. Do you know the land where the lemon-trees flower? | Q the Adult
6. I Want Seconds! | Misifusa’s Blog
7. A Truly Satisfying Meal | Tony’s Texts
8. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | cognitive reflection
9. The Daily Post:Seconds! | Angrezikabutar
10. Daily Bread: Seconds | Sammy’s Moleskine
11. Writing challenge: Seconds | La chica de la burbuja
12. Burgers, Fries, And A Fat Lady’s Smile | The Jittery Goat
13. mmm, delicious | thematticuskingdom
14. Mouth Watering Seconds! (DP) | Elizabeth Los
15. Seconds and probably thirds… | Spunky Wayfarer
16. Daily Prompt: Seconds « Mama Bear Musings
17. Seconds? Yes please! | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
18. An unemployed morning | Pigments of Life
19. Daily Prompt: Seconds! … Tonights meal … its 2:03 am …You will have to wait | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
20. All you can eat! | The Nameless One
21. Eat to Live. | ayimas
22. Warning: Wet Blanket Post « Sorta-Ginger
23. Food Satisfaction « Adventures of an Aussie Girl in London
24. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Phenomenal Lass
25. Daily Prompt: Seconds | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
26. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Completely Disappear
27. Daily Post: | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
28. Bathe me in this | theloneshewolf
29. Daily Prompt: Thanksgiving Feast | One Starving Activist
30. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
31. Love in Laughter | Wiley’s Wisdom
32. Daily Prompt: Seconds! JoAnne’s Chicken Fried Steak | Lines by Linda
33. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | awaiting demolition
34. The Daily Prompt 22 « julianawoo47
35. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | A Hedonistic Wander
36. Satisfied with Steak | This Thread Sucks
37. Best Meal Evar!! | Stuphblog
38. Seconds! or I wish I could have stayed all day… | Ramblin’ On
39. Daily Prompt: Seconds! « DiaryCube
40. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | A Western Buddhist’s Travels
41. The Best Meal I Ever Had | mycookinglifebypatty
42. Daily prompt: Seconds? Yes, please! | the importance of being serbian
43. Daily Post: Seconds – Please Sir I Want Some More | midlifemusingsblog
44. not your average memories… | sat n’ all that
45. Nutella | Purnimodo
46. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | The Blogging Path
47. The Fondue | Someday I Will Learn
48. Can’t Get Enough of Your Love | Life With The Top Down
49. My favorite restaurant is in a gas station | Anna’s anecdote
50. Seconds! | Drama Queen Under the Sun
51. Friday Feature: Lidia’s Italy | DP: Seconds! | Life with the Girl Next Door
52. Daily Post: Seconds – Thank you sir, I’ll have another! | From the C-Sweet
53. Food, Glorious Food | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
54. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Basically Beyond Basic
55. Any Meal | Chasing The Bubble
56. Thought for Food | Mike Sensitivity
57. A day of sweet, sweet indulgence. | Zen Scribbles
58. Sugar, spice and all things nice… A few of my favourite foods! | Travel Making Kai 🙂
59. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Moving Notion
60. Sugar and Spice and all things nice… Seconds! | Travel Making Kai 🙂
61. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | huntprayerpoems
62. Daily Prompt: Seconds! | A Feast for Me | Loading…
63. Fresh, clean and green | F. scribbles
64. A Foodie. A Wino. | Cat’s Chinwag
65. 23:2 Daily Prompt: Seconds! | Family Photos Food & Craft