Hello everyone, it’s great to be back in the saddle again – yeehaw!
I was inspired to write a poetic piece today thinking about Daniel Day-Lewis reading poems written by his talented Poet Laureate father Cecil Day-Lewis that sound of aural beauty and take on a wonderful expressive hue of sincerity when Daniel reads them. I tried to imagine what it would be sound like for Daniel to read the words of my piece and the poem flowed from there.
Having had the amazing opportunity to see visit the Poetry At The Palace The Queen’s Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse in Scotland and experience the exhibition, I would urge you to listen to Daniel his father’s poems and experience them for yourself at the link below, where you can also find fantastic readings by Timothy West and Carol Ann Duffy:-
Audio Poetry Readings by Daniel Day-Lewis
And now on to tonight’s entertainment from me, hope you enjoy it.
“Love Who You Are” by David Ellis
I wonder, I ponder
At the splendour of this world
How it can be so beautiful and so fragile
Achingly gorgeous yet coldly brutal
A gilded lily encased with fire in its belly
Ready to explode at a moment’s notice
Unless it’s handled with care and respect
I puzzle over, I dare to reflect
That to love someone
Can be such an enormous gamble
The stakes so breathtakingly high and if it dies
Its death sinks you to profound, rock-bottom lows
Yet it’s always worth the risks involved
Just to taste its sweet essence when it works
Its purity enough for a thousand lifetimes
I contemplate, I deliberate
How time can be so precious
Yet so very easy to waste
On things that don’t deserve it
Procrastination, infatuation, legislation
Heartache, sorrow and unnecessary pain
To let go can be difficult
Yet to stay the same borders on insane
I dwell, I mull over
The tragedies that befall us
Bereavement, disease, war
Famine, murder and divorce
How much stronger we can become
When the occasion is called for
That the human spirit can be crushed
Beaten and even left for dead
Yet like a phoenix it rises from the ashes
I speculate and envisage a desire
For an easier, happier, care-free life
One filled with less stress and less strife
Yet it is our own trials and tribulations
That ultimately define us
Colouring us in, for better or for worse
We carry these scars because we must
This is who we are
This is who we are destined to be
Wearing our hearts and minds on our sleeves
This is the cost of passion, of raw emotions
Love who you are and never look back
Want something more to mull over that (loosely, I tell no lies) ties in with this theme? (Poetry’s beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all)
For more blog posts that take a look at the subjective nature of beauty (is it in the eye of the beholder or not?), why not check out some of the amazing posts from my fellow bloggers below:-
1. Basically Beyond Basic Absolute Beauty
2. Perspectives on life, universe and everything World’s end (literally)
3. Perspectives on life, universe and everything A hole in my heart
4. Really Just Words Ooh La la !
5. Wax’s WorldI am Beautiful
7. gut honest faith What is love?
8. Wax’s World The Great 8: Tips to Make Yourself Beautiful
9. From Balderdash To Epiphany. Morning Beauty
10. The Ambitious Drifter Beauty Is A Personal View
11. Vexing Point Absolute Beauty
12. KindlingWord Fragile, Beautiful, Strong
13. Thoughts of a Misfit Junkie
14. Anawnimiss of an old book
16. Breaking The Yo-Yo Absolute Beauty
17. yi-ching lin photography ouchie
18. psychologistmimi Photograph Psychology: Beauty in the eye of a beholder even if it is a garbage can
19. Just Writing! O Beautiful for Spacious Skies
20. The Undaunted Blue Madness Of My Life ‘BEAUTY’
21. fibijeeves It’s potential – Leave it!
22. Designer Sophisticate Different strokes for different folks.
23. I’m a Writer, Yes I Am Instinct, Not Choice
24. Quotosphere True Beauty
25. Rubber Tyres –> Smooth Rides Absolute Beauty: Picture it
27. Scattered Thoughts Fair Is Beautiful ?
28. Quotosphere Woman
29. Saya..D Poet… Beauty and Beholder……….Daily Prompt
31. The Wandering Poet Un-Edited poem – Across time
32. An Upturned Soul Pluto/Sun – How I Deal with Stress
33. Suzie81 Speaks A Question of Beauty
34. Linda Long Writes! Absolute Beauty Of Life – Daily Prompt
35. Sethu Iyer A Child lost in a fair
36. Lost in Translation Absolute Beauty
37. A Culture of One Some beholders are better than others
38. Awake & Dreaming It’s Not Skin Deep
39. A Little Fluff Absolute Beauty – Repeat after Me
40. mojowritin Buttercups and daisies, all the pretty flowers
41. Bringing worlds together in my kitchen It’s society who’s ugly…
42. warped-mind bellus
43. artishorseshit Graffiti 2530
44. dx0330’s Blog Absolute Beauty
45. Huskey’s Randomness Beauty is Truly in the Eye of the Beholder
46. Blogging 101 Test blog What is Beauty?
47. Rideo, Ergo Supero Heaven to Gaudy Day Denies
48. For what its worth My kind of beautiful.
49. VitalOrgan something Tookish: A Hobbit Experience Pt 1
50. Trablogger Eye of a Photographer
51. Thoughts from the Front In the eye of the beholder…
52. THE PRIME DIARY Beauty – WHO IS JUDGE?
53. Tidlidim Daily Prompt – Absolute Beauty
54. Structures The Shampoo
55. Cautious Realism Absolute Beauty
56. Camembert & Chocolate Natural beauty
57. A MIND COVERED WITH SKIN Absolute Beauty
58. Hope* the happy hugger What is absolute beauty…
59. The eye of the beholder – An Unkempt Mind
60. LifeInCocoon Showing Off
61. My Simple Life Eye of the Beholder
62. A lot from Lydia Beauty Is…
63. Life is great Objective and subjective
64. SERENDIPITY EYE CANDY?
65. Mere Thoughts Absolute Beauty
66. You-can Posts The Beauty of the Beholder
67. Wisdom|Sharing|Learning Absolute Beauty
68. beginnersblessings Absolute Beauty
69. Rodgers That Eye of the Beholde
70. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown ON STRIKE!!!!!!!
71. Green Embers Roses are Red, Beauty is a Beast
72. Prairie Views Beauty
73. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss Absolute Beauty – Be kind to everyone, we do not know what battles they are fighting
74. medicinalmeadows Memoirs – Beauty of Youth
75. From One Crazy Life To Another Mirror Mirror on the wall
76. Flowers and Breezes Are They The Same?
77. bianca . paige . smith You are so beautiful to meeeeeee
78. joatmon14 Inner Ugliness
79. runtrading Love at the first sight.
80. Victory! City of Pgh Will Continue to Offer Domestic Partner Benefits to Employees
81. All Things Cute and Beautiful Being Beautiful!
82. perferviddreams “Beauty lies in the eyes of the Beholder”
83. Monkebus κάλλος
84. Views Splash! You’re Beautiful
85. Angela McCauley Absolute Beauty, Daily Prompt. http://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/absolute-beauty/
86. Millie’s Musings Absolute Beauty: Blame evolution for your insecurities
87. It’s not the packaging – Vintage 1956
88. Raspberry’s Daydreams Absolute Beauty
89. life as sirli Beauty
90. Pippakin Talks Cats, Dogs, Teeth and Claws
91. Liberating My Creative Soul Ivy Mosquito
92. Pigeon’s Blood Ruby. Absolute Beauty
93. Jana Van Felt Beauty
94. TyroCharm Aging Beauty
95. Ramblings of a Confused Teenager Absolute Beauty (Daily Prompt challenge)
96. thoughts and some happenings Following the daily post
97. Mauvora Absolute Pretty
98. Dreamer Girl What is beauty?
99. Destino The Fairest of Them All: Daily Post
100. Shooting Star Mesmerizing Beauty!
101. Wandering PurposefullyIs Beauty in the Eye of the Beholder?
102. No Empty Words You’re Beautiful
103. Cool 2 be Blogger Beauty in absolute
104. Thoughts of a crooked mind. Can you handle the truth?
105. Happiness Is Contagious … Wonders of the Word
106. Am I a writer yet? Narcissism
107. stream of consciousness ABSOLUTE BEAUTY
108. Away with Words Beauty and True Love
109. Ali Abbas On Beauty – For Emily
110. InsachDiamond in the rough.
111. unitedindependence Absolute Beauty
112. Ace of Spades 16.09.14 – Beholding Beauty
113. Steering with my elbows Beholders for Sale
114. Seif Salama Karem Beyond the Road of Life
115. aNadventures Don’t be ugly
116. The Gad About Town ‘Beauty is truth, truth beauty …’
117. Morrighan’s Muse Beauty, Undone
118. Pepper Connection Love Creates Beauty
119. Thinking Diagonally Body acceptance, “ugly” people, and Tinder
120. XxJustMyWayOfThinkingxX Beauty.
121. writingindevizes Beauty in a cupcake
122. Steps Times Two There Is Beauty
123. ….on pets and prisoners….. daily prompt: absolute beauty
124. Willow’s Corner
125. RESUÉLVETE Brillo en todas partes
126. U Be Cute It’s a beautiful world
127. Title Holder – Traversing Lines
128. U Be Cute A Specious Blossom
129. morganorchard Behold the Beauty Within
130. Pollyanna Press The Beauty of Good Design
131. Cats, Coffee, And Life At Random For 365 Days Day 38: Beauty? The Ugly Afghan
132. dashsmith Daily Prompt
133. Robert Jepson How Do We Judge Beauty?
134. eastelmhurst.a.go.go those darn transcendentals
135. Turn the Paige Beautiful Dreams
136. 50.2.fifty You Are So Beautiful
137. Treading lightly in a sea of excess. Absolute beauty
138. strong>ANITA’S OWL CREEK BRIDGE Absolute Beauty
139. Apparently Anna Has Some Explaining to do Real Beauty is More Than Skin Deep
140. macbofisbil Beauty is a matter of opinion
141. riiseaboveall Mirror Mirror On the Wall.
142. Lourdes Mint’s Mid-Life Miracle Day 114 (Daily Prompt):
143. Ramblings of a College Introvert Subjective or Relative?
144. My Other Blog Absolute Beauty
145. A Nameless Space Absolutely Obsolete
146. Musings of an Adventurer Absolute Beauty- Daily Post Challenge
147. Rima Hassan Beauty
148. Rima Hassan Creation of Beauty
149. yi-ching lin photography pizza
150. dandelionsinwind Absolute Beauty
151. Random Acts of Snark Absolute Beauty
152. Mae Lee Stories Her Absolute Beauty – His Story
153. Staying in Focus Staying in Focus: Absolute Beauty: Beauty in the Heart of the Beholder
154. Wendy’s Window to the World Beauty is there we just have to look
155. River of Life Flows Absolute Beauty
156. yi-ching lin photography mix and match
157. yi-ching lin photography meet me in the study
158. adorablyobnoxious Daily Prompt – Absolute Beauty
159. yi-ching lin photography endurance
160. Wissem Chaabane Autumn in our eyes
161. yi-ching lin photography juxtaposed
162. thoughts and some happenings Autumn is not here yet
163. Scribaross Beautiful bacter
19 thoughts on “Poem / Poetry – “Love Who You Are””
yay #45!! lol thanks for linking me
You’re welcome Huskey 🙂 I liked your article, especially the header picture, now there’s some real beauties there! Following your blog now, look forward to reading more of your posts.
Thank you for including me in your piece. It’s beautiful! haha. I look forward to more poetry from you. You gained a follower 😉
You’re very welcome Wilsar and glad to have you on board!
I am on 104 and amazed that you linked to my post,thanks a lot.
I just loved this line “How it can be so beautiful and so fragile”.Great.
You’re very welcome for the link Jafar, glad to be able to promote your work! Sorry you are so far down, this is just because of when you posted your piece compared to others. Thank you for the compliment and for taking the time to read my work, it is very much appreciated.
Thanks for linking me….i must say, youve written a beautiful piece!
You’re very welcome Preksha, it is my pleasure and such a kind comment too – thank you 🙂
Im in love with this one
What a lovely comment from a very lovely lady – thank you, you have made my day 🙂
So glad for the shout out because that’s how I found your great blog. Following!
You are most welcome Animar – thank you for following me, I hope to entertain and astonish in equal measure!
Stupendous… and can I just say that nobody loves who I are more than I, who I are…
That’s true. Plus as your loyal minion, nobody loves me more than you.
You just keep telling yourself that… HA!
It’s a crazy kind of love. I blame the squirrels.
Thank you Dawn, glad you see the optimism in this piece. I got inspired to consider a number of issues that affect people and you should always feel comfortable in your own skin and with who you are, you should never let anyone take that away from you.