Hello you wonderful people that choose to read me when you could be eating ice cream.
(You can do both, I don’t mind – in fact I insist, I’m off to find myself a “Feast” right now – now them’s good eatin’!)
This week’s prompt over at The Reverie Journal is called “Making Headlines”. The task is to find a news article and then use that as inspiration for a poetic piece. Fiendish.
Making Headlines – A Poetic Prompt from The Reverie Journal
This reminded me of songs enjoyed in my youth like Steely Dan’s “Don’t Take Me Alive” and Duran Duran’s “The Man Who Stole a Leopard” – there are a number of amazing bands that employ the strategy of pilfering headlines to great effect.
So…challenge accepted ladies of The Reverie – game on! (incidentally, I can just imagine this being sung by Simon Le Bon! When you write poetry it’s almost impossible to stop rhyming)
I’ve selected a story from my local Metro newspaper regarding a raven (how could I not when I am such a massive fan of Edgar Allan Poe) – here we go!
Metro – Raven has feather transplant so that it can fly again
“Dreaming Of Darkness Retreating” by David Ellis
These wings are things I must mend
If I am to fly and soar higher again
With some tender love and care
I may have a shot at banishing shame
Losing myself inside the crowd
But I’ll find my way back out
The road to recovery might be long
Yet I know that I must stay strong
People obsessed with celebrating ruin
Don’t have dreams worth pursuing
Everything is food for thought
Decisions have a consequence
All the freedom in the world
Means little out in the wild
When you’re stranded and lacking strength
Don’t be afraid to ask for help yourself
Take a chance in life, hesitate no longer
This is it and nothing more
Darkness can be beaten into submission
Make friends with fear itself for freedom
Time is scarce, words have power
Bird or prey, the choice is yours
Have you found yourself lost and taking the wrong turns? How did you find your way back out again from the darkness? For more blog posts from my friends on their own experiences with wrong turns, check out the links below:-
1. JestPost – Wrong Turns
2. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Day
3. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Duty
4. tuckedintoacorner – The Path Less Traveled
5. Nilesh Prajapati – Wrong Turns?
6. The Wandering Poet – The dreams in our hearts..
7. tuckedintoacorner – The Hidden Road
8. gut honest faith – Always and forever
9. Beefy’s House o’ Fun – Wrong Turns
10. The Undaunted Blue Madness Of My Life – EXCUSE ME DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO CLASS 2 “D”?
11. The Ambitious Drifter – The Art Of Being Lost
12. The Jittery Goat – A Chevette Odyssey In Michigan
13. The sounds of my summer – Wrong turns – not in the way you might expect
14. risingrave28 – Simple
15. Barryjack’s Place – Left? Right? Backwards?
16. A Little Fluff – I Got Lost in Albany
17. From Balderdash To Epiphany. – The Path Of The Past
18. Where the Road Meets the Wall – Lost?
19. Pippakin Around the World – http://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/wrong-turns/
20. Everyday Adventures – DP: “I want my mommy!!!!”
21. Vampire Maman – Alternate Routes
22. shivansh chaudhary – Smartphone won’t allow me to be lost!
23. thinking out loud – Say Map! Say Map!
24. A Penny For Her Thoughts – Wrong Turns
25. Prairie Views – Searching for the Swedish Church
26. psychologistmimi – Getting Lost while traveling can be a great thing: Seize the Moment
27. God, Nature, School and More – Lost [in myself]
28. The Vibrant Channeled Creator – Lost
29. Active Army Wife – Circles
30. seikaihaâ€™s blah-blah-blah – Wrong Turns
31. A lot from Lydia – Lost in Thoughts of Colin
32. hooray4rae – Yesterday
33. idleandbored2 – Wrong Turns
34. Thoughts from the Front – I’m Making Another Left Turn!!!
35. Indian short stories – Wrong Turns
36. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Wrong Turns – The Demon Bus Driver
37. the girl who thinks an awful lot – Lost in Translation
38. Just Writing! – Lost in Philly
39. SERENDIPITY – OUR FINAL DESINATION
40. Here I am !! – Wrong Turns
41. Being a Huntress – The Wrong Turns
42. Prairie Views – The Short Cut
43. Miscellaneous thoughts – Daily Prompt : Wrong Turns
44. A Slice of Life – Where Am I?
45. kartik kotian – The Time I was Lost!
46. The Walk to Work – Wrong Turns
47. ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND! – The pleasure of getting lost! Daily Prompt
48. falling leaves as they come – is there a way to be lost if you’re on a wandering way?
49. This Thread Sucks – The Wrong Street
50. ROUND THE WORD – How Moms Get Lost
51. Life’s Journeys Unfolding – Wrong Turns – The Car Park at the Mall – Short Term Memory Glitches
52. FlippyZipFlop – Daily prompt: Wrong Turns
53. Flowers and Breezes – Till We were Lost
54. Traversing Lines – All’s Well Ends Well
55. Robert Jepson – Finding the Way Home
56. Wright Outta Nowhere – Wrong Turns Down Dark Alleys
57. LWNE – Yesterday I Lost My Mojo
58. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Lost in Iowa
59. Daily Prompt – Lose Yourself in the Moment
60. My Eclectic Existence – Wrong Turn!
61. melanielynngriffin – Wrong Turns: Hold the Map Loosely
62. the FLAVORED word – I don’t think Robert Frost was talking about foreign language –
63. Enchanted Life – Losing Myself
64. Half and Half – I Got Lost In The Dating Pool
65. Joie De Vivre – Lost
66. Quod Ero Spero – That’s no moonâ€¦
67. Insach – Wrong Turns.
68. Destino – Lost: Daily Post
69. Stories for the Heart – Queen of Shortcuts
70. Looking4GodToday – What’s your direction of travel?
71. CafÃ© Jess – Surrounded by Giants
72. THE BORDERLINE PERSONALITY BLISS AND MESS – Lost By My Own Will
73. agonyandecstacy – Finding the Way Back
74. Mostly True Stories of K. Renae P. – Haiku: Barcelona
75. Life’s Daily Dose – Wrong Turns
76. eastelmhurst.a.go.go – the long and winding road
77. Mere Thoughts – Wrong Turns
78. The Daily Prompt – Wrong Turns
79. Finale to an Entrance – Lost in the Spiral
80. A place to be – IT’S AN ADVENTURE
81. crystal blue persuasion – last time i got lost
82. A.C. Melody – That Was a Wrong Turn
83. marbles, dandelions, string – Red Rain Boots
84. Jill of all Tirades – Wrong Turns
85. Mindful Digressions – Auto-pilot
86. Willow’s Corner – Lost is as lost does.
87. Virginia Views – A Global Positioning Rebellion
88. sawyer sundries – Postaday: Daily Prompt
89. My Other Blog – Wrong Turns
90. Barbara Pyett – Lost/ Wrong Turns
91. (A Day in the Life) Un Giorno Nella Vita – Wrong Turns
92. A bouquet of roses – Wrong Turns
93. A Bipolars Writings – Just Golden
94. Rambling On – Wrong turn into a magical place
95. Test The Cards Promotion – Lost Once In Mountaineering
96. Le Drake Noir – Nature hides but don’t forgets
97. tyastlc : my thought and my feeling – In The Middle Of Nowhere
98. Duniya Ku – WRONG TURNS: The Lost Tribe
99. Basically Beyond Basic – Wrong Turns
100. The Fearful Dragon – Wrong turns
101. meracorner – When God Lost His Wayâ€¦
102. greyzr – The Princess and Her Hart
103. alightningbug – Exits and Wrong Turns
104. Barefoot on Rainy Days – To be Lost Again
105. Chimerical Chicanery – Why canâ€™t we let go of our past?
106. The Daily Post – Wrong Turns
107. That’s My Answer! – Daily Prompt from WordPress: Wrong turn
108. My Life Story – Re: Wrong Turns
109. Bookmole’s Blog – How Long?!?
110. My Author-itis – I Knew I Should’ve Taken a Left at Albuquerque
111. Wiley’s Wisdom – Lost and Found
112. life as sirli – two-in-one
113. Chasing A Dream – Empowered by default
114. Synchronicity – Wrong Turns
115. adorablyobnoxious – Daily Prompt – Wrong Turns
116. Jackie Cangro – The One With A Cappella
117. thenibloggedit – Wrong turns
118. asterretha d. – of uncertainty and discomfort
119. Nique Lektra – Hide and Seek
120. Life with Tess – Wrong Turns
121. matrix professional staffing solutions inc – Wrong Turns
11 thoughts on “Poem / Poetry – “Dreaming Of Darkness Retreating””
Cheers mate – glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Loved it… but I like to think I am never lost… I am exploring… I am taking the long way home, the scenic route…
Thank you Art 🙂 – Also taking the scenic route is all well and good until you are caught short or need to get back for an episode of “Cake Boss” then all bets are off!
Glad we see eye to eye Captain
r to r
Wonderful! Thanks for linking my post. 🙂
Thank you Anna – glad to be promoting your work again 🙂
Pingback: Headlining: The Vote Off | The Reverie
Well done sir. You bring the truth to life on this piece 🙂
P.S Check out my poem and tell me what you think?