I have a genuine treat for you all today in that I have had the pleasure of interviewing a very prolific and talented author for the “Author Interview” series over here at the realm of TooFullToWrite.
Michael Robertson is the author of several series of gripping novels – Crash, New Reality, The Alpha Plague & The Shadow Order. I caught up with him to find out more about his own work ethic, introduce us to his worlds and discover what inspires him to write his brilliant books.
Michael – thank you for taking the time to interview with me.
Let’s start with who are some of the authors in your genre and/or in general that inspire you?
I love lots of authors. One of my favourite books of all time is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I’ll read anything Irvine Welsh puts out. I’m currently reading Fight Club, which is wonderfully well written. Also my buddies at Phalanx Press – WJ Lundy, Darren Wearmouth, HJ Harry, Allen Gamboa, Owen Bailie, Rich Baker, Carl Sinclair and Keith McArdle.
Tell us about your stories and the characters. What sort of story genres would you classify your books as covering – action, romance, thriller, etc.
Crash (books 1-5) is post-apocalyptic horror. It’s full on and one of the main characters is a complete psychopath. It’s not one I’d recommend to people because it can offend.
New Reality (books 1-3) is a sci-fi / dystopian story. It questions the subjective nature of reality.
The Alpha Plague (books 1-5) is a 28 Days Later style post-apocalyptic story.
The Shadow Order (just one book at present) is a Guardians of the Galaxy style space opera.
You write a lot of books that are a series. What are your thoughts on writing books as a series and how do you plan the overarching themes for them?
I read a lot of comics, so I like episodic story telling. I tend to have a general idea and know where the story will end. As for themes; while the main story will have its own theme, I like to have a separate theme for each book.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
I listen to a lot of current affairs podcasts. Watch documentaries. Read books. Crash was inspired by places like The Democratic Republic of Congo and reading books on what happened in places like Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. Although I couldn’t go as dark as the reality of both of these examples.
If your novels were being made into a movie or television series, whom would you pick to play the lead roles?
Let me pick The Alpha Plague for this – Rhys – Simon Pegg (in a serious role). Vicky – Jennifer Lawrence. Brendan – Michael Fassbender. Larissa – Anna Gunn. Dave – Idris Elba. Why not, eh?
Do you tend to outline books ahead of time or are you more a seat of the pants variety of writer?
Outline. Always. I’m tempted to try and pants a book but I worry I’d have to do major edits because I wouldn’t see the structure until after I’d written the book.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I love stories. I consume stories in whatever medium and think how I would tell them differently, or notice what I love about them and try to capture that in my work. I love how stories make me feel and want to try to recreate that.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I get tired, but I’ve been lucky to not feel blocked yet. I write every day and even if I don’t feel it, I still write. I can always edit later. Having kids and bills keeps me motivated. For me, writing is a job like any job. When I don’t feel motivated to go to work, I still have to go to work. I can’t be at my best every day and that’s okay.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I love to read, walk, watch films, but mostly spend time with my kids. They’re two and a half and six years old. They keep me busy.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on any further sequels to your ongoing series or are you considering tackling any other genres?
I’m currently writing the first draft for The Alpha Plague 6, which will wrap up the series. I have Crash V coming out next week and after that The Shadow Order 2. I also have a project I’m working on that I want to write the first few books in the series before I release it. It’s a space opera.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Write. It’s the only way to get better and it’s the only way to get a book out there. Ignore the fear. Ignore the inner critic. Ignore other people’s negativity, and write. Once you’ve done that find good editors and learn from them. A good editor will make you and your book infinitely better.
Michael Robertson is a writer of many stories. He predominantly writes science fiction with a darker edge to it. Since his late teens, Michael has written stories of all kinds and finally started publishing in 2013 after having a short story accepted by HarperCollins. He hopes for each story to be better than the previous one and wakes up grateful every day for his growing audience. A father of two young children, them and his partner make everything worthwhile.
Connect with him on the following social media sites:-
You can buy his books by clicking on the links below:-
The Alpha Plague 1 – (Kindle Edition is Free if you go to his website and sign up to his mailing list)
The Alpha Plague 2
The Alpha Plague 3
The Alpha Plague 4
The Alpha Plague 5
The Alpha Plague Boxset – Books 1-3
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well since Michael is my guest today then the The Daily Post prompt of “Guest” seems appropriate. For more blog posts relating to this theme by my fellow bloggers then check out the links below:-
1. Guest – Bolognese’s Blog
2. A Texan’s View of Upstate New York – Sort-Of Craft Night
3. My Mixed Blog – Guest On Planet Earth
4. No Place like Home? – stephentotheplate
5. Alice in the Country of Hearts Manga Series Overview and Review – Intense Mode
6. Reflections of a Scottish Landscape Photographer: Just A Pack Guest Blog – Karen Thorburn Photography
7. Week 28. Ends at sunrise – writing blog
8. Guest – KarynDimpho
9. Supernatural – jessicasblog45
10. Inside the Mind of Isadora – Nurture Yourself – A Parable – the Guests
11. Iamabloggertoo – An Uninvited Guest !
12. A guest… Only – Ms Skyfall
13. A Day In The Life – A Journey and A Guest
14. We are a guest on this planet – Samsara
15. Fluffy Pool – I hesitate to be unkind
16. A Writer’s Mind – An Unwanted Guest
17. Sue Vincent – Daily Echo – The Cave – KL Caley #Writephoto
18. This, On Purpose – The Uninvited Guest
19. LONGLEAF STORIES – How I Learned to Drive in Scotland
20. A Momma’s View – Be My Guest
21. Bolognese’s Blog – Guest
22. “Guest” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
23. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Guest
24. married with a view – Guest House
25. Sandmanjazz – One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer
26. The Sleeping Reading Beauty ~ book reviews – Yes Sir! Dessert Sir!
27. Laurel Grove loves… – The day it snowed in San Francisco?
28. somawrites – Caress me
29. kwesi – Guest
30. Guests – Angel or Devil?
31. Awl and Scribe – Convene
32. Welcome – The Chaos Within
33. Guest – The Vile Mint
34. Purposive Writer – Cottage Guests
35. guest – guavarilla
36. the microatoll – Host-Guest Chemistry
37. Uninvited Guest – collecting moments
38. Seeking light – collecting moments
39. mybalanced ~mind~body~soul~ – Guest
40. Travel Much? – Beautiful Sejero, Denmark
41. The Uninvited – True_George
42. Guest – Gourmet’s Test – rupalislale
43. tuckedintoacorner – time + grow + guest
44. Can I Come Home? – Spilled Ink
45. Jesus: The Unwelcome Guest? – Eagle’s Wing Ministries
46. imagined america – I Could Be Your Guest (if you want)
47. A few days’ moonlight – The Commonplace Chronicles
48. Razan Masri – Cana of Galilee
49. The Sailing Guests named Poets – travelmusicweb
50. Guest of Honour – Sanch Writes
51. The uninvited guest – greyandgreyer
52. GUEST – bodylevive
53. Uninvited – Who Narrated This?
54. Leanne Murphy – Ten words #9
55. Guest – The Mistful Mind
56. Louiesse – Guess?
57. Success Inspirer’s World – Do you like to be a guest author?
58. revenant (20160712) – Words and Feathers
59. Indira’s Blog – The Daily Post- Guest
60. Moving Day – Onto My Next 40 Years
61. Birthday OOTD – ONE MORE SHOT PLEASE
62. another quiet muse – Guest at the Party
63. Be My Guest – CecesTravelingStars
64. Finding Hope Ness – It’s not easy being Orange
65. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – GUEST
66. Guest – Words in verse…..
67. MY ENDURING BONES – The Knock On Maisie’s Door
68. Under the Stairs – Karuchan
69. GuestÂ – whatamberthinks
70. Serendipitousbloom.com – Lovebirds
71. I never said I wasn’t a hypocrite. – blackfatfemmewrites
72. Unfold The Sky – Refugee
73. Daily Prompt – Guest – Short Story – Brandon’s Rambling Writing
74. July 12 – OPTIONAL POETRY
75. Rob’s Surf Report – Tanka Tuesday 2016.07.12 —
76. Frank Prem – the exuberance of my aunt
77. Guest – Open Window in a Closed Space
78. GUESTS IN THIS WORLD! – breathingpark
79. Nature’s Guests – Mac’s World
80. Confucius Temple and Huilongtan Park – My Crazy Graced Life
81. “…Honoured Guests…” – Lindeman Chiropractic…don’t just survive, THRIVE!
82. Guest – blackcattwriting
83. multiplemyelomaandme – The Mouse Who Came to Visit
84. where it’s black and blue – How To Be A Student (Daily Prompt – Guest)
85. LINES of SHADEAU – Guests Among World’s Family
86. Mainline_Matter – Turkish Guests
87. truffle – images of heaven
88. guests and their importance – wanderlust from pa
89. Lowland – Unwelcome Guests
90. Gluttonous Guest – ifidontknow
91. Be My Guest – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
92. Guest – z a y n e e a . n e t
93. coldhandswarmheartsblog – Just work, food and shelter
94. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – The Unwanted Guest
95. Giggles & Tales – Guest – The Daily Prompt!
96. Cage Dunn: Writer and Author – A Guest
97. What happened to the wine – Mr.Brb_blog
98. Guest – Scott’s website
99. Demon Guests – Vivid Dreamer
100. Ruminations of an Old Soul – Looking Through A Dirty Glass Window
101. Old House – Where’s the Windmill?
102. April love letters – Painted in words
103. Guest – Gathering Pearls
104. Sunshine and Brotherhood Awards – whippetwisdom.com
105. Le Drake Noir – The way we are
106. Royal Treatment For Food Lovers – mokita dreams
107. Unrequited love – writealineblog
108. April’s Perspective – Good Guest or Bad
109. Welcome Guests – This Sub Rosa Life
110. ~Time Out with Ju~ – Guest
111. Guest – ansiblechambers
112. A Guest to New Situations – Culture Eighteen.
113. Guest – Image & Word
114. Up Close and Personal with Wildlife @ Olympic Game Farm, Sequim, Wa |
115. Yellow Goals – Guest on earth
116. Jeny’s jars. – at a steal.
117. Advice from an Awesome Manager
118. Barryjack’s Place – Welcome to My Back Yard
119. A Post From the Past: ’10 Reasons Roller Coasters are Good for You’ – Damien at the Speed of Life WP
120. Daily Prompt:Guest – wordsareallihavesite
121. Diary of a Married Woman – Unexpected Guest
122. happymeerkatreviews – Daily Prompt Poetry: Welcome
123. Heavenly Guest – Nichelle Lei
124. Gothic Vadess40 – To Welcome a Jedi…
125. Experiments in Poetry and Prose – Passenger Seat
126. ATG Successful Living – Famous African of the Week: Nassef Sawiris (Egypt)
127. Revisiting home, in the hills of Uttarakhand – Later Alligator
128. artifiswords – UNWELCOME GUEST
129. Writing Web – The Uninvited Guest
130. Unwelcome – short story – Writing Beyond Ordinary
131. Home – The Life of Jan – Daily Prompt 7/12/2016
132. (g)Host – StrangeLander2015
133. A special wedding guest – Let the Light In ~ Reflections
134. Guest- My Love Forever – eddaz
135. icky guests ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
136. E. Denise Billups – I’m Just Passing Through
137. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – Come Into My Garden – Let’s Sip A Cup of Tea
138. Plan B – Somewhere Down the Road.
139. hoosiersunshine13 – A job well done
140. a haiku for my guest – Praise Word Spaces
141. TEN GUESTS OF MR.OWEN – likhitha998
142. Welcome, Welcome, Well… – A lot from Lydia
143. My Selfish, Unwelcome and Destructive Guests – Mama’s Talking Stick
144. The Failing Buddhist – Like A Guest Who Refuses Food
145. Guest ~ Going Home – Word Adventures
146. Dark Arts – Fantasy Raconteur
147. Petra Omoregie Caroline – Unexpected visitor and a struggle to find the way home
148. unwanted guest. – lemonadeletter
149. Elusive Beaver – Heaven’s Sunshine
150. Terrible Haiku Tuesday – Hi India
151. Thriving Hope – The Encounter
152. Be My Guest – YUDITH’S Journal
153. Huesped – apserranoblog
154. A Fly (a poem) – Think, Dream, & Believe
155. The happy Quitter! – The familiar Stranger
156. rhymeagination – GUEST GUIDE
157. Relax- Oh, do come in. Wait.. maybe not!
158. kristinakoti – ALBANIA- Code of Honor
159. Insane Savings N More – Annoying Guest
160. Permanence – Her Concealed Thoughts
161. 83 Unsung Heroes – Social Semantics
162. Martha L Shaw – YOU ARE MY HEART
163. Jibber Jabber with Sue – Guest in the Sky
164. Conversation, Discussion, and Debate – vet67to82
165. Canterbury Convert – A Guest At The Table
166. Friend in the Mirror – Lance Price Blog 2016
167. The Guest is Inside – Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky
168. Unexpected guest, 3 years ago – Word Exorcist
169. Your invitation is revoked, Sir. – Awkward Babble
170. Family – Explore Pets
171. Common Pursuit – At Our Best
172. The Guest – Introverted n’ Proud
173. ReidCurrier.com – The Hallway
174. SERENDIPITY – HERE’S YOUR HAT, WHAT’S YOUR HURRY
175. Guests: A Wicker Hug For You – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
176. Company – Some More Fiction
177. Get Out of My House: Take Control of the World Around You – theturtleoffice
178. Sara Ackerman, author – The Gift of Service
179. Royal Invite – writealineblog
180. Guest Starring: Chas Rad – The Rad Blog
181. myfavouriite – First guest in disneyland
182. Tarpa aka Tiger – speaking up for myself
183. Be Our Guest – Inner Whispers
184. Family, friend, guest, or enemy?
185. Our own kind of magical – Lipstick & Miracles
186. You over stayed your welcome – findingyourowntruthblog
187. A Life In A Day – The Heart Attackers
188. kStan(ly) kSays – lily’s lawn wedding
189. I’m a Customer, Not a Guest – My Second Act, Scene One
190. Life with Jess – Help Me Please!
191. Guest of the Beast – wordsonwings
192. Honest voices, honest guests – Selah Ministries
193. Guest #TheDailyPost – Of Glass & Paper
194. Guest – PDX Magazine – The Writing Portfolio of S.McKeown
195. Michael J. Fite – Do You Want Motivation and Inspiration To Be A Guest In Your Life?
196. witchlike – Friend, Foe, or Otherwise?
197. Prompt for the Day: “Guest” – Saint P. Blogging
198. Be My Guest – Ripples N Reflections
199. ‘Rude Door Locks’ – The Last Blog Available
200. devildollmusings – Not Breathing
201. adarkenedhouse – #tuesdayuseitinasentence: un[quench]able
202. thelonerose – GUESTS
203. sixty, single and surviving – Guests
204. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Guest
205. GATECRASHERS – Threewheelergran
206. Peaceful Journey – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?
207. Free Printable Travel Itinerary – Get Lost
208. Zombie Flamingos – Scenes from a Monday walk
209. Vexing Point – Guest
210. Guest – calliemm
211. Guest – Daily Prompt – I Am Anxiety Written
212. Mothers – Jane Dougherty Writes
213. Lost Property Repository – Guest
214. the15thday – oh my days this is all just too much. please go. now.
215. Dear Guest – Best Relationship Advise Q&A
216. Invitation – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
217. Might be OK, I Gues – tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
218. kStan(ly) kSays – asleep in the cellar
219. Crossroads – lovelyricism
220. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Peach Bunny Mama
221. The Bat – Just Writing!
222. Designer Sophisticate – Don’t overstay your welcome.
223. Growing Toward the Sun – Person Of Interest, I Love You So Much
224. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: guest
225. Fantasy dinner party – Geek Ergo Sum
226. Being the Me kind of Misfit – itstrueiamamazing
227. Bed of Eden – zorazebic
228. The Wandering Poet – DP Prompt ~ Unexpected guests shopping?
229. Don’t leave your luggage behind – Meow Keela
230. Boring Bug – Respecting the Idea of Respect
231. I was the host.. my Guest was a Ghost – mySestina
232. Passion through Poetry – Guest
233. Thank you! – pins & ashes
234. B_ up to date – Guests at Africa Reframed
235. new2writing – The Cave – #Writephoto