Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
I have had the pleasure and privilege of interviewing a brilliant poet and short story writer today. Please welcome Lizzi Lewis as she tells me more about her creative processes, the books she has been published in and gives us insight into her writing motivations.
Lizzi – thank you for joining me today to talk about you and your work.
Thank you for inviting me – I really appreciate it.
I notice that you have just recently published a book of poetry with your colleague HastyWords called ‘Let Me Love You, Anyway: A Poetic Journal’. Congratulations! Please tell us about it in more detail and why you chose to bring this project to life.
The poem was written by Hasty and I as a collaborative duet, over many many months of our friendship. We were both struggling and spent days when we felt as though we were too battered and broken by life to be capable, to be complete, or in any way to be worthy of any kind of love or affection. We were there for each other as we teeter-tottered through those dips of emotion, and as we fought depression and circumstance, and the poem came from that – our desire to reassure one another that it didn’t matter what we were facing, how we felt we were presenting, or what we were (or weren’t) able to manage, but that we loved each other ANYWAY, and that our friendship wasn’t predicated on being able to meet certain standards as human beings (perceived or otherwise), but on the love in our hearts.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
My absolute favourites are Gerald Durrell (whose rich descriptions continue to awe and inspire me) and Lewis Thomas, whose ‘chatty’ yet very deep manner of writing, was my main role model for how I approached blogging. (As an aside, when I changed my name, it was because of my deep respect and adoration of Lewis Thomas that I took my last name…). Other writers I thoroughly enjoy include Madhur Jaffrey, C.S. Lewis, J.K.Rowling, James Herriott, and (very recently but I can’t tell you how it took so long to find this gem of an author) Konrad Lorenz.
Authors who inspire me, who I KNOW PERSONALLY (and some of them even in Real), include Beth Teliho (Order of Seven), Mandi Castle (Dear Stephanie), Andra Watkins (To Live Forever) and of course, Hasty, with her wonderful poetry collections and journals.
This is not your first rodeo when it comes to collaborative experiences. What sort of story genres would you classify your contributions to the collaborative Short Stories books Jessica & Singularity? Tell us more about your stories and the characters in these particular collections.
Ohhh they were tricksy horror, through and through. Thing is, Helena Hann-Basquiat (who engineered the stories, sourced collaborators, and then wove pieces of them all together) is such an accomplished artist when it comes to storytelling, that I can barely remember which characters and stories were mine – they have been taken and blended seamlessly into the whole.
I’ll tackle ‘Bards first, because it’s kind of the favourite younger sibling which gets constantly overlooked. It’s a poetry blog, and it’s a quiet little corner where I and a couple of other poets can pour out our musings and ramblings. I’ve run a few ‘Guest Bards’ series, and they’ve always gone down well, but it’s always been a sedate little place where you sometimes come across something utterly soul-searing.
Considerings is rather the ‘main attraction’, and again, it’s just somewhere I spill my thoughts (and a weekly ‘Ten Things of Thankful’ hop) because I wanted a method of honing my writing for readers, and because I somehow thought my thoughts and feelings might be appreciated/relevant/accepted/given feedback. All of the above has happened, in GLORIOUS fashion, and through blogging there, I have made some life-long friends, and am even changing the trajectory of my life to be closer to them. I’ve wended some nonsense and fiction in along the way, and the blog has also become a platform for the #1000Speak movement, which aims to speak out with compassion into some of the trickier aspects of the world we live in.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Research? Ohhhh none at all! I’m very lucky in that so far all I’ve needed has been a head for fiction, for rhythm, and for love.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I’ve written for as long as I can remember. Part of it is the joy of storytelling. Part of it is the ability to unburden myself through words. Part of it is that I *LOVE* to take my readers on a journey of some kind, to steal them away from their consciousness of the surroundings they’re in, and immerse them in mine, through words. That’s how I experience Gerald Durrell’s writing – like full-body immersion, and I LOVE that.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
Oh nothing keeps me motivated during creative slumps! I sulk and whine and bitch about them, and often end up writing a cliche piece about how I’m struggling to write and how much I miss it. For me, when I’m missing writing, I’m usually missing community and people and feedback, because those are the things I’ve come to really cherish as a result of writing. I’m pretty arrogant and I know I can turn out a generally decent piece of writing on whatever, but the interaction and the enchantment…those things I often miss and lament. My friends (who usually have their ears bent, when I’m in one of these phases, poor things!) usually tell me that these things go in cycles, and it’s to do with other people having lives and bigger priorities, and not to stress because it will probably come full circle and be alright again…I think eventually I just write something, get a bit of feedback, flourish on it, and then get the impetus to write something else.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I’m a bit of a gym-bunny, so I spend more time there than I probably should, given the state of the world and the good I have the potential for if I wasn’t so self-obsessed…otherwise, eating, sleeping, reading, or chatting to friends over Facebook or WhatsApp.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
My biggest project at the moment is getting myself to America, where I have a scholarship place waiting for me, to become a massage therapist. I keep having vague thoughts about putting together a poetry book, but then I get sidetracked and it hasn’t happened. I also want to spend more time writing and sending For Real letters, because they matter HUGE.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Seriously though – try different genres and styles of writing, try poetry, write songs, attempt science-fiction. READ EVERYTHING! Get a dialogue going in your head of how you might narrate your day, this moment, that situation…always hone and expand your craft, and hopefully at some point you’ll reach a comfort point, where you can write and publish without tying yourself in knots of anxiety about it, because it pleases YOU.
Lizzi is a Deep Thinker, Truth-Teller and seeker of Good Things, committed to living life in Silver Linings. She’s also silly, irreverent and tries to write as beautifully as possible. She sends glitterbombs and gathers people around her – building community wherever possible. She’s absolutely certain that #LoveWins.
A founder member 1000Speak, she hosts the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop each weekend and tries to #BeReal as often as possible.
Subscribe to Lizzi’s blogs here:-
You can buy her Poetry Journal here:-
Lizzi also has stories published in the following Horror genre Short Story collections:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Lizzi’s Short Stories delve into themes of Horror and Darkness. For more blog posts based on the theme of ‘Darkness’ inspired by the prompt over at The Daily Post, check out the links from my fellow blogging colleagues below:-
1. Dark World of Musicals – Meg’s Magical Musings
2. Write Now – Darkness
3. Daily Post One Word Prompt 7-8-2016 – A Writer’s Life
4. Inside Darkness – Brenna Pierson
5. A Texan’s View of Upstate New York – Star Gazing
6. Blathering About Nothing – The Gloaming
7. Southern Vampire Series – True_George
8. Feel the Darkness – Being Human, Being Deaf & Everything in Between
9. Indira’s Blog – Darkness -The Daily Post
10. Darkness in Dallas – OnYour Path
11. speaking up for myself – Darkness
12. Hidden – Who Narrated This?
13. Alone – short story – Writing Beyond Ordinary
14. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – DARKNESS
15. simplywithin – Darkness
16. artifiswords – MY DARKNESS
17. Canterbury Convert – Will You Answer His Call?
18. Peyton/Ben #1 – Darkly Dezire
19. One Night – The Chaos Within
20. theblackwallblog – Come out of the Darkness
21. shame – A moon’s memory
22. In the Dark – firelight
23. The Lazy Wanderer – Maybe. Or Maybe Not
24. The Dark and The Light – Incognito Fate
25. Seeking light – collecting moments
26. Darkness – Daily Prompt – ladyleemanila
27. The Light Breaks Through – Dealing With Race In America
28. Brendon Ward – The Valley of the Shadow of Death
29. COW PASTURE CHRONICLES – Darkness has Descended
30. Poem for July’s First 8 Days of Daily Prompt – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
31. Forbidden Darkness – Scott’s website
32. Shut Up and Listen – Views From Around the Corner
33. Mark V. Bettencourt Writer/Producer – Tortured Writers And Their ‘Darkness’ Obsession
34. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – Hello Darkness, My Old Friend – Moon Songs
35. Don’t Understand – Sunken Thought
36. The Light that Shines In the Darkness – Lance Price Blog 2016
37. Life Out of Tunes… – Darkness, Darkness
38. Why are we still afraid of darkness? – Trauma Coach
39. Christine’s Collection – Darkness: Not my favorite thing
40. Darkness – MaeAnnesDiary
41. Purposive Writer – Forever Grateful
42. DARKNESS (AN ODE TO THE #BLACKLIVESMATTER MOVEMENT) – Entertainment Enthusiast
43. Darkness – The absence of light – Theroadandmeblog
44. Word Shamble – The Daily Post : Darkness my ally
45. The picturesque room you need to find – Painted in words
46. Darkness – Voyage
47. Darkness…not really Nefarious! – The artville
48. When Darkness is good for photos – Steve Grundy Photography
49. Not Afraid Of The Dark – The World As I See It
50. Darkness – Ashquill
51. Dude repulsor technology…. – Ramblings of a crazy author
52. Beauty of Darkness – World Through My Eyes
53. Darkness – Inner Whispers
54. BLACK LIGHT – Adarsha Kharel
55. websaladbar – My laptop’s having insomnia
56. Darkness – for art lovers
57. Moonless night – Cassie’s Stories
58. C.A. SANTIAGO – Admit the defeat.
59. Darkness – Inside The Writer’s Closet
60. Through The Darkness – Focal Breeze
61. somawrites – Enticing
62. At the heart of Darkness – Ms Skyfall
63. Petra Omoregie Caroline – Flowers – Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge
64. Darkness – Born to Challenge
65. I’ll be waiting – Karuchan
66. Darkness and Light – YOLOcruz
67. From Darkness to Light. – stephentotheplate
68. Love Endures Always – The Darkness
69. Mr. Johnson’s Blog – Darkness and Hope
70. What the eye can’t see – ink and toast
71. THE LIGHT WITHIN ME – itsjamxii
72. At The End Of The Day – The Room Of My Rib Cage
73. Advanced Darkness – A lot from Lydia
74. Darkness – alexischangestheworld
75. Blue on Black – StrangeLander2015
76. Confessions of a SAHM Site – From Darkness To Seeing The Light: When Tragedy Strikes Book
77. Turning the Light On – From Sand to Gemstones
78. Darkness (daily prompt) – stopbyandmuseforawhile
79. Daily Prompt – Darkness – Short Story – Brandon’s Rambling Writing
80. Fiction/Poem: Prose Poetry – “Screened in Darkness” #introtopoetry #fiction #prosepoetry – Mandibelle16
81. Cliche with an ironic twist: – Stokespeare
82. Darkness In the Old House – blackcattwriting
83. Paradise Lost – Eagle’s Wing Ministries
84. DARKNESS – floatingstories
85. witchlike – Embrace the Darkness
86. Following Him Beside Still Waters – Show Me Light!
87. Musings and My Two Cents – Longing for the Days of Mayberry
88. Bite the Censor – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
89. Darkness – z a y n e e a . n e t
90. recovery to wellness – In the Darkness; On the Fence
91. midnight snack and repercussions (20160707) – Words and Feathers
92. Margret’s Life Journey! – Darkness
93. PSYCHEDELICBAY – Daily Prompt – Day#13
94. Anonymous in Cali – untitled/070716
95. Hello darkness, my old friend – Mistakes and Adventures
96. adarkenedhouse – tlt: ferry ghost town
97. In The Distance… – It Is Still Real
98. Sonder Stories – Call of the Nightingale
99. Mainline_Matter – Master Of Darkness
100. LINES of SHADEAU – Darkness
101. Writing The Girl – Stumble
102. While We Were Sleeping – Survival Skills aka Low Expectations
103. Darkness – WORDS from SONOBE
104. Only 100 Words – TLT: Trapped
105. coldhandswarmheartsblog – Day is day, Night is night.
106. Peaceful Journey – Stop the Madness, It’s Time
107. Artifical – Her Concealed Thoughts
108. Suddenly Single… Minded – Hello, darkness – my old friend
109. you too have a dark side – Love it Now
110. The Inkwell – Dark and Light
111. Words with Wolfgang – Finding the Dark
112. Today’s Tomorrow – The Darkness.
113. kStan(ly) kSays – the I of the storm
114. Seif Salama Karem – DARK THOUGHTS
115. Our Great Revolution – Fantasy Raconteur
116. Dark Hatred – Vivid Dreamer
117. Darkness ~ Stars Always Shine in the Dark – Word Adventures
118. Peace and Quiet – Onto My Next 40 Years
119. Light vs Darkness – writealineblog
120. Eu o amei – Fenix Verde
121. A Life In A Day – Thank You, Darkness
122. Fluffy Pool – You Wish
123. strokeofaquill – [Quillstroke] [Amarentia] Darkness
124. The Paradigm Shift from Darkness to Enlightenment – Author Tony Damian, RMT, CMT on Self-Healing
125. Lantern Words – The Bragging Darkness
126. Footsteps in the Dark #3 – writealineblog
127. MY ENDURING BONES – Carmilla’s Cupcakes
128. Teddy and the Night – OXENTROT
129. Darkness – writealineblog
130. Writing Web – Daily Prompt for July 7, 2016
131. Return – Sugar-coating Since ’91
132. The Best of the Dark Side: Music from the Past 25 Years – theturtleoffice
133. Masked – DisappearFromReality
134. Darkness – Image & Word
135. writingandgoals – Darkness response
136. Lakeland Musings by Irwin – Darkness
137. another quiet muse – Darkness… Fall, Falling, Fell
138. B_ up to date – Minds of madness
139. Screaming Nights – As it Comes
140. Laughter Brothers – Replace Darkness with Light
141. Power of darkness – powerofmovies
142. Writer Sanctuary – Paradise Consumed: Part 4
143. Darkness of the Soul – Daniel Amatiello
144. Poem- Why can’t you find me? – jotabouts
145. The Black Economist – darknesSpace
146. Brendon Ward – Justifying Keeping Matters Under Wraps
147. Within Darkness – Cameron D Hamilton
148. Starlight – Ripples N Reflections
149. light at the end of the tunnel… – maybeiamsure
150. Darkness – Daily Prompt
151. “Darkness” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
152. Hawk’s Happenings – Moonlight and Shadows
153. The Sleeping Reading Beauty ~ book reviews – Up to You
154. Darkness Consumes. – TheTattooedBookGeek
155. A Darkness Over Our Country – Writings from the Heart
156. They, You and Me – abyss…haiku
157. thelonerose – Anger or my dark side
158. The life of a modern teenage girl – Hello darkness,
159. Living a Double Life
160. Prompt for the Day: “Darkness” – Saint P. Blogging
161. Ruminations of an Old Soul – The Moment I Lie Down
162. Hillary’s Law calls for Parental Notification
163. Darkness of Light – Sundragonlady’s House of Burgesses
164. Dark Matters – RANDOM THOUGHTS
165. Darkness – Awordseeker
166. Prisoner #writephoto – Fantasy Raconteur
167. Flowers and Breezes – Darkness
168. Unfold The Sky – I know it’s not Halloween but….
169. Darkness with a silver lining – 100 Shades of a woman
170. /SCARED OF THE DARK/ – /the perks of being jam/
171. Anton’s Ideas – THE DARKNESS OF DEPRESSION
172. E. Denise Billups – I’M NOT AFRAID OF THE DARK
173. Enduring darkness – Sisters in Grief
174. Daily Word Prompt: Darkness – BlessedDaily
175. A hole in the ground – mistspell
176. Relax – I’m clueless.
177. Prey. – intertwinethestars
178. Jibber Jabber with Sue – Ocean and Land
179. Darkness inside of us – carolandsite
180. DARKNESS REDEFINED…… – likhitha998
181. Passing Darkness – Some More Fiction
182. Diary of a Married Woman – Mirror Image
183. my 4-legged bodyguard – my sweetpainteddreams
184. The Best Is Yet To Come – Call Me Incorrigible
185. It’s not Real ! – This Is Me Thinking
186. i know now – the emptied notebooks
187. addiction. – lemonadeletter
188. Dark Hearts Love, too – somerberry
189. As I See Things – A Step Out of Darkness
190. Chahna Ahuja – DARKEST CREATURES
191. Fleeting Darkness! – Some More Fiction
192. Darkness… – IntenseMagic Creates
193. Touch A Heart – atrangizindagieksafar
194. What’s Done in the Dark: Forbidden Treasures Part 2 – In a Perfectly Imperfect World
195. The Gad About Town – Hello Darkness, My Good Buddy
196. saymeags – Darkness
197. Darkness – Journey of a Happy Girl
198. our heart of darkness ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
199. Prompt for the Day: “Darkness” – Saint P. Blogging
200. Milners Blog – Gothic Abbey
201. The Dark Irony in My first blog post – in the world of aga
202. Why Write? An Answer… – Where’s the Windmill?
203. kristinakoti – Somebody calling …?
204. ATG Successful Living – Dark Success
205. SERENDIPITY – WHAT LURKS IN THE DARK?
206. a cooking pot and twistedtales – Piercing the darkness…
207. 2 Lines – Topographical Heart
208. Musings of a Menopausal Maven – Darkness is the Enemy
209. Life with Jess – Guided By Stars
210. Sara Ackerman, author – A Nighttime Poem
211. Queen of a Full House – Darkness
212. That Sinking Feeling – mahakkhurana
213. In the Midst of Darkness – eddaz
214. Cozybooks – Walking: A Writing Excerpt
215. Darkness – Caillen James –Author
216. Someone Like Me – Notes of a Dirty Young Woman
217. Dark Truth – Weaving Notions
218. Darkness: Is there anybody out there? – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
219. The Vampire Butterfly – Geek Ergo Sum
220. paperdollsletter – Dark Past
221. Rachel/Bea – darkness.
222. Martha L Shaw – He Will Guard The Feet Of His Faithful
223. What Rhymes with Stanza? – Assumptions about Assumptions
224. The Sun Always Shines The Next Day – Specscladeyes
225. The Failing Buddhist – Tamonata Sutta: Darkness
226. Why darkness is a blessing – Miss Gret
227. Heartbeat ! (CHAPTER 3)Exchanging the darkness – exploradors!!
228. The Medici Files – The Only Terror I Know
229. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Feline Darkness
230. Dark – thepoeticturk
231. Staring into the black – sci.casual
232. Awaiting the Flame – prettyflyforawhitemom
233. Let the Light In ~ Reflections
234. rhymeagination – NIGHT
235. ~Time Out with Ju~ – Darkness is what I have Entered
236. Escaping the darkness – findingyourowntruthblog
237. Live-Life.. – Play time troubles
238. Full-Time – The Dark
239. That Dark (K)Night… – The Cricket Freak
240. Embrace Darkness – Think, Dream, & Believe
241. Darkness – disue
242. The Sun Always Shine The Next Day – Specscladeyes
243. Untitled – Barryjack’s Place
244. Travel Much? – How I lost Sir Nerdalot
245. Post Graduate Glitter – The Darkness Will Not Prevail
246. squareonewriter – Darkness Prompt/ Good Charlotte
247. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Darkness
248. To Lead. To Wade. Darkness – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
249. Nature & Travel Photos – Daily prompt : Darkness
250. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Noctern
251. Travel Much? – Hello darkness / favourite pick up lines
252. Black Wispiness – Heaven’s Sunshine
253. He’s A Friend – itstrueiamamazing
254. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 – The darkness inspires false imaginings
255. Your Love is My Summer Night – Let Me Stay Among The Stars
256. Giggles & Tales – Darkness – The Daily Prompt!
257. Darkness – wordsareallihavesite
258. Beware of the Darkness! – hashtagtrustyourinstincts
259. Who’s That Actor? – Damien at the Speed of Life
260. wordsandmorewords – How many more?
261. White People Don’t Get It – Sydney David
262. Light at the end of the tunnel… – clumsyandsilly
263. Mind Palace – This Is What Darkness Promised
264. Awl and Scribe – Darkness
265. Common Pursuit – The Only Constant
266. Disabled vs Specially-Able – Eloraquence
267. theblackwallblog – Find Your Light Thru the Darkness
268. Turn That Radio Up – I Know it’s Over
269. a little bit of me – my darkness
270. kStan(ly) kSays – darkness at the hands of the blue
271. Random Brain Musings – Poetry still Escapes Me.
272. Renata Bandelloni – Luce
273. Impromptu Promptlings – Where do YOUR monsters live?
274. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Darkness
275. Daily Prompt – Catherine’s Blog – In The Darkness
276. Coloring Outside the Lines – Darkness
277. The Undiscovered Country – HemmingPlay
278. kindlysparkles – Darkness
279. Trouble Comes – HemmingPlay
280. The mask – Respōk
281. Claire de Lune – Zelda Reville
282. Before the Light – Pete Gardner Psalms
283. Meow’s nightlife – Meow
284. The Patient. – mindtranquilityblog
285. writing prompt and the void – the journal i never wrote
286. Out of the Darkness – Help Thyself!
287. Out of Darkness – My Second Act, Scene One
288. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – In the dark
289. The Not Too Shabby Blog – Descent Into Darkness
290. Lost in the darkness – guavarilla
291. Lives Matter – Angela Montijo
292. new2writing – The Truth is not Always Beautiful…
293. Lucy’s Journal – She couldn’t even recognise herself in the mirror anymore.
294. 83 Unsung Heroes – No Means No And The Burden Of Proof
295. The happy Quitter! – Has this World gone mad?
296. myfavouriite – Concealer tips for the darkness of eye circles
297. Darkness & My Disappointment: Daily Prompt – KimKnight_Author
298. Sean Hogan – Living in a Bottle
299. La Tour Abolie – Three Black Dogs
300. Like the Lamp – Things About Him
301. sixty, single and surviving – Hearts of Darkness
302. devildollmusings – Save Me
303. Walking in the Woods – mySestina
304. kStan(ly) kSays – having nothing to do with pink
305. Joy Write – Pain Free
306. Darkness: displays the beauty of light – vibhutiastharediffmail
307. Cloak of Darkness: Little Black Riding Hood – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
308. Zombie Flamingos – Kitten Thursday – yay!
309. slideaways – looking over the edge…
310. Yellow Goals – Truck and Me
311. Just a Thought – littleflamesblog
312. A Vibrant Palette – A dark world
313. the15thday – life’s weird.
314. The Goodness of Darkness – rupalislale
315. Katy Trail Creations – Our View
316. Serendipitousbloom.com – Inspirational quotes about darkness
317. The Darkness – Daily Prompt – A Book Nerd
318. Where to draw that line! – pins & ashes
319. True Darkness – farrahstyles
320. Le Drake Noir – Blinded by the dark
321. Passion through Poetry – Darkness Descending
322. poetry penned in moon dust – A Child’s Perspective #poetry #onewordprompt
323. Stillness of the attic – zorazebic
324. happymeerkatreviews – Lost in Darkness
325. Frank Prem – at Koko Black
326. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Darkness
327. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: darkness
328. Roaring Thunder & Bolts Of Lightning – ESCAPE INTO WORDS
329. A Little History – Just Writing!
330. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Harlem Crush: Still Beauty
331. A personal reprieve – She Who Hears
332. Darkness – The Daily Post – D.B. Mauldin
333. Designer Sophisticate – Nocturnal requirements.
334. NAMASTE. – Untitled Feelings
335. Vexing Point – Darkness
336. Growing Toward the Sun – #Throwback Thursday:You Don’t Know My Life! (And Other Things About Being Judgmental)
337. Bad day! – Magic of this moment
338. The Wandering Poet – DP Prompt ~ There is beauty even in the dark
339. Boring Bug – Chasing Shadows