Good day to you all.
I’ve been dying to write a fluffy, off the wall poetic story piece and I threw this ‘Bombay Bad Boy’ together with the help of a prompt from over at The Reverie Journal (thanks again ladies!) and the antics of one Homer J Simpson.
Every Monday The Reverie Journal are cooking up these little prompt blighters, I’m finding that I just can’t help myself when Ole Betsy (me muse) is kicking up a storm and egging me on to write something for them.
The prompt specifically references burning denial (A Burning Denial), so I thought I would follow that concept broadly, cut loose and see what falls out from the monkey tree.
Hope you enjoy the flippant nature of this one, thanks for reading and comments are always welcome!
“Sacrifice” by David Ellis
That last bite of forbidden donut
So succulent and somehow yet
To push it away, it just seems so right
Dining on unconditional guilt
Although, I’d rather feast on the satisfaction
Of denying myself a gym membership
A Rolex watch shining with enough diamonds
To make the very sun itself jealous
Why would I not want one
To wave on my arm and rub in the noses
Of all the other peasants…I mean pleasant people
Even though I can tell the time
At church, at work and on my phone
I must have access to these status symbols
To feed my hungry updates on FaceBook
My hi-octane life can be so damn stressful
Hell, come to think of it
Why should I keep myself from having the latest TV?
With movie theatre speakers so magnificently loud
My neighbours would think I sold the land
To make way for an airport runway
Along with making a meeting place
For angry bikers and truckers to congregate
Revving their engines constantly
Speaking of denial though there was the time
That I could have bought a brand spanking new yacht
With all the luxury accoutrements
Egg timers, heated towel rails, drinks cabinet, the works
However, I went and passed this gorgeous thing up
I would have made an awesomely bad-ass pirate
But I bought medical insurance instead
Well to be honest, that’s what I told my kids
Shouldn’t have spent it all on gambling, fast cars and even faster women
Now I’m sitting here in this hospital room
Nil by mouth and they won’t even feed me grapes
I’d complain but they will take my bed away
Sometimes denial is quite literally a necessary evil
So I guess you could say that I’ve learned a valuable lesson
Say….I’ll give you fifty big ones if you give me that last piece of donut still kicking around?
If that’s not sacrifice, I don’t know what is
For my poor wallet at least
Why are you looking at me like that? Is there donut on my chin?
For more blog posts about sacrifice, hardship and denial (no pain, no gain), check out the pieces from my friends below:-
1. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Skyping: Long after Midnight and 4 Margaritas
2. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Looking for you
3. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Forgotten souls
4. A Teacher’s Blog – 7 Seals – a personal Matter
5. From Balderdash To Epiphany. – With Gain Comes Pain
6. tuckedintoacorner – Pain and Gain
7. Fictions in Flashes – Sliced Skin (Daily Prompt)
8. Vexing Point – Pains and Gains
9. Dancing To The Rain – No Pain, No Gain?
10. davidfetzer6271951 – Pains and Gains
11. Sugar-coating Since ’91 – No Pain, No Gain…
12. Chapter Thirty Confessions – Pain and Balance
13. The Undaunted Blue Madness Of My Life – REALLY?!
14. She’s Rambling – Pain is not always physical
15. Quotosphere – The Secret of Success
16. Awake & Dreaming – No Pain, No Gain
17. helenccsmith – Pains and Gains
18. Rideo, Ergo Supero – Your move, chief.
19. psychologistmimi – A Satisficer I am not: No pain, No Gain indeed
20. hobilari – How To Grow my audience, its a pains and gains
21. Valprehension – Brief Thought: Applying “No Pain, No Gain” to Blogging
22. seikaihaâ€™s blah-blah-blah – Only Pain?
23. Rubber Tyres –> Smooth Rides – Pains and Gains: Fly light
24. Ginger Musings – Bleed to Succeed
25. From Hiding to Blogging – Realization
26. FlippyZipFlop – Pain is my teacher
27. A Penny For Her Thoughts – Pains and Gains
28. The Write Web – My Pain is My Gain, Therefore I Live
29. Charron’s Chatter – gr8 formuLa
30. Indira’s Blog – Daily prompt- Pains and Gains
31. runtrading – Pains and Gains in Trading.
32. I’m a Writer, Yes I Am – You Can See the Summit, but…
33. Corinthia Lynne – Daily Prompts: Pains and Gains
34. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Pains and Gains – I have plenty of pains, where are the gains?
35. joatmon14 – No Pain, No Change
36. Just Writing! – Double, Double, Toil and Trouble. . . .
37. Precious Marks Upon the World – Thorn Removed: A Journal Entry
38. Exposure – No Pain No Gain
39. tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice – Pains and Gains
40. Pippakin Talks Cats, Dogs, Teeth and Claws – Walk it!
41. terry1954 – Pains and Gains/ The Daily Post
42. cockatooscreeching – Does pain really equal gain!?
43. Angela McCauley – I Agree With The Statement “No Pain, No Gain.”
44. ROUND THE WORD – No Pain, More Gain
45. Agility|Leadership|Wisdom|Sharing|Learning – No Gains Without Pains….
46. yi-ching lin photography – dialogue
47. January’s Dream – Wrestling Jacob
48. The Daily Blabber – Reach for Our Dreams
49. soul n spirit – No gains without pains
50. tornin2’s Blog – There has to be pain to achieve greatness
51. Shooting Star – Pains = Gains + Greatness
52. SERENDIPITY – PAIN AND GAIN? NO SUBSTITUTE FOR USING YOUR BRAIN
53. Designer Sophisticate – That which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
54. Daily Observations – Painless Greatness….WP Daily Prompt
55. MC’s Whispers – On the tip of a pointe
56. Destino – i don’t need your rocking chair: daily post
57. Define Greatness – Vintage 1956
58. Tidlidim – Daily Prompt – Pains and gains
59. Willow’s Corner – Actually, no
60. Insach – Flying without falling??
61. Rodgers That – No pain, no gain
62. adjustingyourfocus – Making Room for Courage
63. Prairie Views – No Pain = No Gain? That is the question?
64. Away with Words – Pains and Gains–On Bikes and Bugs and Being Tough
65. endeavour – Pains and Gains
66. A lot from Lydia – On Childbirth
67. eastelmhurst.a.go.go – have to and get to
68. Flowers and Breezes – The Voyagers
69. Wiley’s Wisdom – Belong To Your Dreams
70. Kat Webber – Pains and Gains
71. helen meikle’s scribblefest – Daily prompt: Depends how you look at it
72. Never Finished… – Slump Busting: At the Halfway Point
73. Writing on the Spot – No Pain, No Gain?
74. Saya..D Poet… – Pains and Gains …Daily Prompt
75. My Author-itis – Pain Free
76. Awl and Scribe – Pains and Gains
77. when Silent Speaks – No pain, No gain?
78. Nola Roots, Texas Heart – DAILY PROMPT: Pains and Gains
79. Random Acts of Snark – Pains and Gains
80. You gotta write to be a writer. – It’s all in our heads
81. california tennessee – Hardship vs Happiness
82. The ‘Pen’lightenment of the soul – NO PAIN ,NO GAIN
83. Notes to self… – Notes on self.
84. It’s Mayur Remember?
85. a little bit brave – pains and gains… it hurts to grow
86. bianca . paige . smith – No pain, no gain… KNOW pain KNOW gain
87. Ritika Khanna – Pains and Gains
88. MillyMollyMandy – No Pain, No Gain
89. FeedLine – No pain, no gain
90. All Things Cute and Beautiful – Being Great!
91. The Reluctant Baptist – No Guts, No Glory
92. aBodyofHope – Leg Warmers + Dyslexia = All Gain
93. erraticpandemonium – No Pain No Gain
94. Basically Beyond Basic – Pains and Gains
95. field of thorns – Soul
96. crashcoursedummy – hopelessness
97. adorablyobnoxious – Daily Prompt – Pains and Gains
98. Pain and Gain – The Crumpett Files
99. CCEO Corporation of America – No pain, no PewDiePie.
100. As Time Goes on Real Eyes Realize Real Lies – Success Without Failure
101. A Day in the World of Dance – Work
102. Circadian Introspection – 05.Sep.2014