Hello again everyone.
I have a treat for you today in the form of a lovely lady, photographer and author – let’s hear what author H.C.Bentley has to say regarding her creativity processes and what drives her as a writer.
Hi there H.C. – thank you for agreeing to be the guest on my blog today.
Thanks so much for having me! I’m excited to be answering questions for your readers. 🙂
Let’s start with your novel Her Last Love (Small Town Hearts Trilogy Book One). Tell us more about the main characters, setting and how this love story sets itself up for a trilogy story arc.
Her Last Love is the story of Lynn, a small town girl who left home to pursue a military career, and Carter, the love she left behind. Lynn comes back home when, after years of serving her country, her career comes to a premature end. She soon realizes her ex-fiance, Carter, is also back and living there as a single father. This novel follows her as she finds her way back to a life and love she’d always wanted.
The Small Town Hearts trilogy is a series about second chances. Each book follows, in turn, Lynn and her two best friends since childhood. Her Last Love introduces us to Lynn’s friends, Kari and Bethany. Book 2, When Love Comes Home (in the final stages of editing now) will share Kari’s story, with Book 3 wrapping up with Bethany.
If your novel was to be made into a movie, who would you cast in the lead roles?
Oh, wow. That’s a good question…and a hard one! I’m a Scott Eastwood fan, so he’d have to be Carter. He’s got that southern style charm thing going. For Lynn, I’d have to say either Christina Hendrix or Dallas Bryce Howard. It’s a toss-up because not only does the woman who plays Lynn have to be able to carry herself as someone who was in the military, she also has to match Carter in looks and spirit.
What is the most difficult thing you find about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
Time tends to be my biggest difficulty. I work full time, still run my business part time, and am raising two teenagers. Some days I feel like it’s a miracle if I even sleep! But, I do manage to carve out time where I can, either during my lunch hour at work, or even an hour or two at night before bed. If you want something bad enough, you figure out a way to go after it.
As for easiest…ideas for stories are easy. I have a list of potential book ideas I keep in reserve. The putting ideas together, making them cohesive and believable can be a challenge.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
I am a huge Nora Roberts fan. Love her work…her characters are always like someone you know. And J.K. Rowling. I very much admire her perseverance when it came to getting past all the rejection so Harry Potter could meet the world!
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
People watching. Lol! I do a LOT of people watching and observing at my job…I work as a cataloguing librarian for my local library. I tend to do online research to fact check and research, as well as utilizing the resources I have through the library.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
Writing is an outlet for me. I ran a photography studio for nearly a decade, and while it was great for a creative outlet, the stress of running a business was killer. But writing…this is something I do for me. And my readers, of course, but the process of getting my work to them is all for me. When I write and really get going, I tend to have tunnel vision and shut everything out until I resurface from the world I’m creating. I kind of love it. Lol!
I started writing as a kid…I was about junior high age or so. I won some national contests and was published. I found I enjoyed being able to create something that someone else could enjoy, even if it was only for a short while.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
In a slump, I work on other projects, or my social media. Or I might crank up my favorite music of the moment, maybe sing along (depending on where I am, of course!). And, if all else fails, I’ll set it aside and let the story circle in my head awhile. More often than not, that gets the ideas flowing again better than anything.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Free time can be very scarce. Lol! I love to travel and don’t do nearly enough of it anymore, but when we get the chance, my husband and I will round up the kids and head out of town for a day or two. Do the tourist/sight-seeing thing and decompress. I’m an avid reader, so you’ll also find me with my nose buried in a book. Also, and I don’t do as much of it as I used to, I love to do crafty/DIY type things.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline? When can we expect a sequel to Her Last Love?
I’m working on wrapping up When Love Comes Home, and it’s due out at the beginning of November 2016 (I’ll get book 3 mapped out then take a break for the holidays and pick that back up after the first of the year. I do have plans for the next book after the trilogy, but it’s still brewing in my mind and not fully formulated yet. I do know it will be a romantic mystery, so I’m excited about the idea behind it and where it could go, though!
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Two things. One, It’s never too late to start writing. I set aside my writing work for nearly 20 years before I picked it up again. Don’t use the passing of time as an excuse.
And two, just write! Too many people worry about getting it perfect on the first draft. That’s silly…there’s a reason it’s called a draft! So just sit down and write. Let the words flow, create your characters, and get the ideas onto paper. You can – and should – go back and fix what needs to be corrected, tweaked, filled in, etc., later.
And that’s a wrap!
Thanks for having me! It’s been fun! 🙂
H.C. Bentley is a veteran of the U.S. Army, as well as a part-time professional photographer. Her life is filled with books – she is not only a writer and an avid reader, but she is also surrounded by books in her job at her local library. She is currently working on her second novel, and resides in Kentucky with her husband and two daughters.
You can connect with H.C. Bentley on these Social Media platforms:-
Subscribe to her newsletter: H.C. Bentley – Subscribe to my newsletter
Website: The Website of Author H.C. Bentley
Blog: Author H.C. Bentley – Blog
Facebook: H.C. Bentley – Author (FB)
Twitter: H.C. Bentley – Author (Twitter)
Instagram: H.C. Bentley – Author (Instagram)
Pinterest: H.C. Bentley – Author (Pinterest)
Goodreads: H.C. Bentley – Author (Goodreads)
You can buy her book at the following outlets:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, H.C.’s novel is all about embracing second chances and there is a prompt over at The Daily Post called ‘Rebuild’. For more blog posts on the theme of rebuilding, check out the links to the pieces by my fellow bloggers below:-
1. My Little World – Rebuild
2. Fallen Angel – Luminous Feathers
3. Rebuild – Little April Shower
4. A House with a Coffin – mySestina
5. The Gluten is Real – Rebuilding Solitude
6. shame – Monsoon salt
7. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – REBUILD
8. Rebuilding from the Ashes – defiantweb
9. On-line but not on-line – JulianneB
10. Word Prompt Poem:Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien – KimKnight_Author
11. Kathy’s Blog: Healing from the Loss of a Parent – Five One-Word Prompts, One Post
12. Maine Forest Cafe – Recyclesaurus
13. My Mixed Blog – Rebuild The Engine
14. Vexing Point – Daily Prompt:Rebuild
15. The dark ages of Colonialism. – JUST A WRITTEN THOUGHT
16. “Rebuild” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
17. writeintent1 – The Capacity To Be Alone Is The Capacity To Love!
18. Daily Sketches, June 13-15 – DEAN KEALY
19. Rebuild – jheart2hearty – Struggle
20. Fluffy Pool – Magda and the Cottage
21. ReBuilding SunShyne 😉 – Sundragonlady’s House of Burgesses
22. Becoming Roots – Rebuilding the human spirit
23. Flash Fiction for the Aspiring Writer: The Dial on the Metal Desk – Mandibelle16
24. Struggle ~ Resurrection – Word Adventures
25. Rebuilding my self esteem. – maliahsmommy1010
26. Window on my world – Rebuild-thoughts in
27. Rebuild – wordsareallihavesite
28. As I See Things – The Other Life
29. My rebuilding project! – When I thought I was fat
30. Rising like a Phoenix – Thirty by Thirty
31. Restar – Let Me Stay Among The Stars
32. It’s a dangerous world. – Phoenix
33. Weeding The Garden – It’s Time to Rebuild in Order to Be Great
34. Writing and Works – Pieces Of You
35. This Is Brayoh – Please Don’t Part 1
36. Rebuild – Awordseeker
37. tuckedintoacorner – power, 1.2 (150)
38. COLORED LINES “CHAPTER 17 – REBUILDING THE PAST” – Singledust
39. Journey of Roo – Minority and Majority
40. Rebuild – River of Life
41. Shail’s Nest – Saying no
42. Joy Write – Turning Point
43. Renata Bandelloni – Rebuild
44. helen meikle’s scribblefest – Daily prompt: Hatred is a flawed foundation on which to rebuild
45. NAMASTE. – The Teen’s Digest
46. Gloriously Tacky Girl – Rebuilding after Losing Myself
47. Doodles and Scribbles – Whispered Yearning
48. The Fantastic Pond – Life in Harmony! – Success in Spry
49. Pen Pals… – Bridging the gap
50. Hiking – When the Door Closes
51. Hi India – Pure music from India’s desert
52. The fluidity of life – My life…or so I think
53. Purposive Writer – Rebuild Your Bridge
54. This is Crazy – A lot from Lydia
55. Starting Over – Scott’s website
56. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Pooch Pool Promenade
57. Time to Rebuild – StrangeLander2015
58. rebuild – guavarilla
59. Rebuild: Divorcing a Pedophile – Crystal Lynn’s Journal Blog
60. Secrets of rebuilding self – Lisa Jill Singh
61. parse . my . brain – AI: Rebuilding the Human Experience
62. snow treasures – What was I to do?
63. simplywithin – Rebuild
64. Rebuild the cracks … – Mychoice360
65. Rebuilding What’s Been Lost – Cloudy With a Chance of Polka Dots
66. Rise O’ Spirit Of The Light…. – PTSD – The Long Journey Home
67. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Rebuild
68. Success Inspirer’s World – What must you do?
69. Traversing Lines – Exhale
70. coldhandswarmheartsblog – Lost in anger, Rebuild in love.
71. The Last Blog Available – Status Updates
72. Rebuild – A Tribute to my Father – Team Sequoia at Lifetree World
73. to rebuild – chandeliersandcinders
74. Rebuild to Rejoice – mindeology
75. Rebuilding your wardrobe – Stylishly Us
76. Rebuild? You have no fucking idea. – Emma explains it all…badly
77. Remove Head from Assets, THEN Drive! – JUST Shave YOUR Legs!
78. INSPIRING MAX – Rebuild
79. Just Notes – Rebuild or build anew?
80. That Girl From Last Friday – Word Exorcist
81. Lucid Wine – Renovate your Reality
82. When “Sorry” is Not Enough – writealineblog
83. Citta – That which is conciousness – Sakhya: True friendship. Part I
84. Chase’s Thoughts And Viewpoints – The “Rebuilding” Spirit
85. Throwback to Extreme Makeover – ONE MORE SHOT PLEASE
86. thelonerose – On hold
87. Eden of Knowledge – Rebuild -Embrace your new life
88. La Tour Abolie – Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do…
89. Rebuild – Her Concealed Thoughts
90. ReBuild Me – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit
91. Rebuilding after the slaughter – Diary of fantastic discoveries
92. Le Drake Noir – Use to
93. Five Important Pieces of Breakup Advice – Mars Gone Mad
94. At the Brink – Unebelle’s Musings
95. Mary 2.0 – Rebuilding Connections to the News
96. another quiet muse – Rebuild… Little Green Frogs
97. Giggles & Tales – Rebuild – The Daily Prompt!
98. Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored – Build Me Up Buttercup
99. Peaceful Journey – Time to Rebuild
100. LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE – Now is best the time to rebuild yourself
101. Life with Jess – Enough Is Enough…..
102. Let Me Burn – Fantasy Raconteur
103. When to Fix and When to Throw – somerberry
104. Almost like a hangover – icicle
105. Under Construction – Stacy Muthoni’s 5 Steps to Rebuilding Your Life
106. orlando, islamophobia & unity – Okay, Shalom. – rebuild
107. Rebuilding Old Memories – Desertedroad
108. Grand Cleric Anastasia – Dreamer’s Paradise
109. Rebuild Life – Writer’s Blog
110. Zombie Flamingos – And it begins…
111. Monday Moment – Americana – Dutch goes the Photo!
112. Indira’s Blog – The Daily Post- Rebuild
113. Prompt for the Day: “Rebuild” – saintpblogging BlogJob site
114. Common Pursuit – Build Again
115. Rebuilding Your Business When It Is Failing – Karmen Clair
116. Well that’s odd… – Rebuilding Helen of Troy
117. Prompt for the Day: “Rebuild” – Saint P. Blogging
118. ruminatorsite – Life is always rebuilding
119. Rebuilt Identity: In Progress – Alex Clark-McGlenn
120. Writer Sanctuary – Is it Worth the Effort to Fix Old Blog Posts?
121. somawrites – precious rubbles
122. Live-Life.. – My love I am glad you reached safely..
123. Live-Life.. – Planting PlayDate
124. Renewal – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
125. Faith Unlocked – Rebuild the Temple
126. Mostly Monochrome – Rebuild?
127. Musically Reviewed – Rebuilding
128. Charron’s Chatter – Yellow Ribbon at Knee
129. A Sunken Thought – One Brick At A Time
130. The Australian Sojourner – Wild Roses and Lavender
131. Lantern Words – Able To Rebuild
132. B_ up to date – Luckily
133. Flowers and Breezes – Rebuild
134. Survive. Mourn. RebuildÂ – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
135. PET Scan Machine and Sri Lanka – World Through My Eyes
136. Mainline_Matter – Rebuilding Custom Work
137. 83 Unsung Heroes – Rebuild And Relabel
138. “The City was in ruins.” – PhaseChanges
139. Fairytale gone bad – the sky is literally falling down – Magic of this moment
140. Success Inspirer’s World – Start to rebuild
141. If Only You Knew – Ripples of Truth
142. Rebuilding in Cuba – Sydney David
143. Suddenly Single… Minded – Lonely and looking; s companion – movies, walks, talks, dine around
144. Rebuild Yourself – After the End of a Relationship
145. Rebuild broken pieces – Weaving Notions
146. Rebuilding Burt Munro – ARMY OF THE FALLEN BIKERS
147. After ORLANDO: Rebuild with Inclusion NOT Exclusion – freshlookweb
148. The After Effects Of Sexual Assault :Trauma Continues – curiousitygotmecom
149. Rebuilding vs. Remaining Damaged – See Her Different Colors
150. REBUILD YOUR FAITH – ladypastorpreneur
151. Life Lessons you learn in preschool – Onto My Next 40 Years
152. Awl and Scribe – Rebuild
153. Relax – He ain’t heavy.. wait, yes, he IS
154. Kimberlee K. – To All the Girls I’ve Ever Compared Myself To
155. Martha L Shaw – LOOK FOR THE BEAUTY!
156. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 – Rebuilding bonds of mutual support
157. A Burst Balloon – BiteSize Writings
158. More than One Masterpiece – I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
159. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Rebuilding Your Life after the Death of a Loved One
160. sixty, single and surviving – The Daily Prompt; rebuilding a life
161. Rebuilding with You – The Jolly Beggar
162. Rebuild – Red Mountain Motel
163. Construction – Jenica
164. The Cat Chronicles – Feline Rebuild
165. THE HABIT OF REBUILDING – agurlblog
166. kStan(ly) kSays – again and again and again
167. [Flash Fiction] Burnt Edges – Jade M.Wong
168. Sure Scribbles – Shattered Dreams!
169. Time to Rebuild – Writings from the Heart
170. It’s time to rebuild your self esteem – Say Yes To Greatness
171. Copper Cranes – Altered State
172. Rebuilding Sand Castles – wordsonwings
173. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – We are rebuilding – daily service will be resumed as soon as possible
174. Coloring Outside the Lines – Me 17.0
175. SERENDIPITY – LIFE IN A POST-APOCALYPTIC SMALL TOWN
176. Hiroshima – Just Writing!
177. Crossing Colorado – 8 Top Things that Will Stop Your Weight Loss
178. Rebuilding Our Roots. – MotherOfThree Narratives
179. The Morning After – My Second Act, Scene One
180. Rebuild – TheTattooedBookGeek
181. the15thday – sunny morn shall wave the rainbow flag extra high today
182. charlesewaugh – Rebuilding Through the Ages
183. soulizer – The power to rebuild
184. not at home – Abandoned; Bright New Future
185. A secret life for me – destruction is a blessing
186. Bloody black kite – Jane Dougherty Writes
187. Rebuild – heart2go
188. Rape – zorazebic
189. rebuilding what exactly? ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
190. The Answer to Marriage Is Soccer – Unlearning
191. she Rebuilt the house with a Coffin – mySestina
192. rebuild from nothing – Singledust
193. shame – Utopia at ten thirty am
194. Hot White Snow – My Life in a Brick
195. Rebuilding from the Ground Up – Good For You!
196. The Wandering Poet – DP Prompt rebuild
197. Rebuilding Coventry again, and again – Geek Ergo Sum
198. Travel Much? – Iceland – great fire gods and hellmouths
199. Building Blocks – Pete Gardner Psalms