Hey there everyone.
Today I have been lucky enough to share a few words with musician and author Martin Baggen, as he gives us more details on his historical debut novel “In the Shadow of David: The Secret Rebellion” and how it came to fruition.
Thanks for reading folks, here we go.
Hi there Martin, great to have you here with us as our featured guest today, it is an honour and a privilege to be speaking with you to find out more about your book and the man behind it.
Let’s start directly with your novel – “In The Shadow of David: The Secret Rebellion”. Your book is described as a reimagining of the greatest story ever told and a political thriller set in the historical era.
Tell us more about what inspired you to take the stories from The Bible and make them the basis for your epic retelling of events. Was there a certain trigger point in your life that lead up to this or had you always thought that it would be a good idea to make a novel out of it? Please also go into detail as to the nature of your book, the protagonists and antagonists and the set up for the overall story arc.
I thought it would be fun to take a story as well known as the New Testament, and sort of reverse-engineer things beginning with the legend that we have today. I wanted to bring the reader into the real environment of what it might have been like in an oppressed nation…the fear, the anger, and how it can tear apart an entire culture. The primary mover in this story is Miriam (the traditional name for Mary) as she plots and motivates a bold plan for the renewal of a Jewish nation against their Roman occupiers. The story is told from many of the character’s own perspective so the reader is intimately immersed in the mission to reclaim a nation and all of the subplots that swirl around Yeshua (traditional for Jesus) and his devoted followers.
If your novel was to be made into a film, who would you cast in the lead roles?
That’s a very difficult question. A film project is being pursued, but I’ve always imagined the cast would be complete unknowns, save for maybe a famous character actor in one of the supporting roles.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
By far the most difficult aspect of writing for me is the technical side of things…grammar, structure and that sort of stuff. Give me a fist full of commas and I will use ’em all in just a sentence or two. The easiest part was coming up with the story itself. Granted, a lot of this story has already been told, but my part of things came together, and I had a draft written in a matter of a few days.
What sort of research did you do to write your book?
The research was a very daunting task. I wanted to make sure I had things as historically correct as possible. The research came in the form of books, documentaries, and articles. It continued right up until days before the final edit.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I really don’t consider myself a writer. I had a story that I wanted to communicate. My first crack at it was in the form of a screenplay. I realized that to get that story in front of as many people as possible, it had to be a book, with a hopeful film to follow. I think I’m a good storyteller, that is to say, I can sit around with friends and spin a yarn with the best of them. So I suppose my writing process was me essentially attempting to dictate a tale to myself.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
Thankfully, I never had to deal with the dreaded “Writer’s Block” with this book. Let’s see if I can still avoid it as I work my way through the sequel.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Pay attention to Mr Estrem, my high school English teacher. It would have come in handy to have a better grasp of the basics.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I enjoy writing and producing music and performing live when the mood strikes.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
As I mentioned, there is a sequel in the works.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Write it because you want to read it.
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for your time Martin and good luck with your book 🙂
Born and raised in the remote island community of Sitka, Alaska, Martin Baggen had to rely on his imagination to prevent the rainy isolation from stifling creativity. Baggen has produced a substantial catalog of original music. As a first-time author, Martin thought “Why not re-imagine one of the greatest stories of humankind?” And so began the creation of “In The Shadow Of David: The Secret Rebellion”.
A media producer and consultant by trade, Baggen resides in the Pacific Northwest and frequently travels back to his hometown in Alaska.
The next step in the literary/entertainment arena for Baggen is the adaptation and production of his current novel as a motion picture and a possible sequel to the book as well.
You can connect with Martin on the following Social Media channels:-
Facebook:- Martin Baggen – Author (FB)
Twitter:- Martin Baggen – Author (Twitter)
Website:- In the Shadow of David: The Secret Rebellion – Website
You can buy his book here:-
Still want more? Well, there is a prompt over at The Daily Post called ‘Prophecy’, which seems relevant. For more articles on this particular theme then click on the links below:-
1. Saint P. Blogging – Prompt for the Day: “Prophecy”
2. My stars are very much confused – snowqueensvt
3. Card of Grief by Jane Yolen – Intense Mode
4. Layers – Pleasure
5. shame – Bedtime story
6. Breaking Fate – Vivid Dreamer
7. Prophecy – rupalislale
8. Prophecy – Think Out Loud by Aida
9. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – PROPHECY
10. Prophecy: A Releasing Gift – Eagle Wing
11. Mystery of prophetic dreams – Journo-Express
12. The Accurate Prophecy – Let Me Stay Among The Stars
13. The Gift Of Prophecy – Pappy’s space
14. Prophecy – Scott’s website
15. Vexing Point – Prophecy
16. tuckedintoacorner – prophecy + fence
17. “Prophecy” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
18. Yes,They Are So… – Inner Whispers
19. The Syllabub Sea – Prophecy
20. Don’t Say I Didn’t Warn You – Sundragonlady’s House of Burgesses
21. Mainline_Matter – Jazz Prophecy
22. PROPHECY – A RELEASING GIFT – Eagle Wing
23. The Advice – The Chaos Within
24. Living in ‘Maybes’ and ‘Almosts’. – A prophecy from the past.
25. Life Signposting – Prophecy
26. Stepping Out in Prophesy – The Wandering Elephant
27. Purposive Writer – The Prophecy They Told Me
28. Prophecy : A Great Tool for Storytelling – World Through My Eyes
29. Self-fulfilling prophecy – guavarilla
30. Le Drake Noir – Nice sunset
31. Meant to be: your will. – Pen Pals…
32. Prophecy Prompt – Short Story – Brandon’s Rambling Writing
33. Dear you, to the faulty wiring who caused the spark, – somerberry
34. helen meikle’s scribblefest – Daily prompt: How to waste democracy
35. Prophecy – Inside The Writer’s Closet
36. sheetalbravon – Breaking news!
37. MY ENDURING BONES – Look Into My Crystal…I Mean Facebook Page
38. Musings and My Two Cents – Coming Soon
39. PROPHECY-“ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN JUST ONE DAY” – lifeinfinity
40. The Hidden Chalkboard – No Prophecy = No Faith In God
41. Inter-Dimensional – Karuchan
42. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown
43. Oracle – StrangeLander2015
44. Fate – Stokespeare
45. bigmindtalks – Prophecy
46. Petra Omoregie Caroline – Trees and dreams: What we expext with confidence becames prophecy.
47. Talia’s Writing Nook – Prophecy
48. themomfred – What a Friend I Have
49. Prophecy – disue
50. GodsGrace – Prophecy [The Daily Prompt]
51. Finding Hope Ness – Look inward, Angel
52. another quiet muse – Prophecy… A Cup of Coffee
53. Fluffy Pool – Learn to Fly
54. GodsGrace – Prophecy
55. Read and Write Here – Prophecy? What Prophecy?
56. The New York City Prophecy- Why We Do Need Our Boats Before the Currents – The Looking Glass
57. Leanne Murphy – Ten words #3
58. coldhandswarmheartsblog – Prophecy
59. The Prophecy Trope… – mythicalmusingsblog
60. Recap: The First 6 months of 2016 – ideas and culture
61. The Hair Lab – I know you do not know
62. ruminatorsite – The Compass
63. A Sunken Thought – I’m Lost!
64. Manifest – Savory, Spicy, Sweet
65. Christine’s Collection – “He’ll Never Succeed At Anything”
66. Jaded Psychodelicide – Case Study: A Near Sighted Clairvoyant
67. Lucid Wine – How Many Prophecies Are We Living?
68. We need a vision. – CHARIZE SANTIAGO
69. Cage Dunn: Writer and Author – Prophesy
70. The Good Feminist – D-Day or Independence day?
71. The Sleeping Reading Beauty ~ book reviews – glances from the inside
72. Prophecy/Drink ~ Unraveling – Word Adventures
73. The Power of Thoughts – Little Miss Understood
74. Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored – The Great Scout-ini Reads Tea Leaves
75. Haiku: Prophecies – Fantasy Raconteur
76. My spirit will haunt you – Mr.Brb_blog
77. Wife and Mother – By the sea.
78. Not for me – Words in verse…..
79. La Tour Abolie – No prophecy at all, just sadness
80. thelonerose – I’m grateful for…
81. kStan(ly) kSays – those “p” words
82. B_ up to date – The end – Thanks!
83. Delicate Little Thang and Buffalo Gal – Could this Blog be a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?
84. Poem- Prophecy of our Children – jotabouts
85. Twists and Turns about Musicals – Meg’s Magical Musings
86. Musings of a Random Mind – Could I Be A Space Alien?
87. Gothic Vadess40 – Isaiah 53:4-11, NLT
88. His prophecy… – Writing belly
89. Awl and Scribe – Prophecy
90. A not so scary view of the future – Geek Ergo Sum
91. Canterbury Convert – We Saw It Coming
92. One More Thing – Pete Gardner Psalms
93. Music is Prophecy – folie plusieurs
94. Relax – Visionary
95. The Brave but Silent! – Palpable Pennings
96. Martha L Shaw – FORTELLING OF JOY
97. Knowing The Real Prophesy – eddaz
98. Zombie Flamingos – A last outing with my Aunt before she leaves
99. Daily Prompt; Prophecy – tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
100. somawrites – Bad Bye
101. Giggles & Tales – Prophecy – The Daily Prompt!
102. ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
103. powerofmovies – Power of prophecy
104. kStan(ly) kSays – if it’s good to be gone
105. Prompt for the Day: “Prophecy” – saintpblogging BlogJob site
106. Self Fulfilling Prophecy – Culture Eighteen.
107. SERENDIPITY – PROPHESY – FIRE AND ICE, ROBERT FROST
108. Prompt for the Day: “Prophecy” – Saint P. Blogging
109. The Reluctant Scribbler – Prophecy
110. A step in the right direction – clumsyandsilly
111. The Gad About Town – Auden’s ‘The Way’
112. Prophecy – Tell Me What to Write
113. Common Pursuit – From Across the Wall
114. Mind Palace – Our Prophecy
115. Self~Alchemy: A Prophecy Unfolding – Author Tony Damian, RMT, CMT on Self-Healing
116. Travel Much? – Brexit Tea
117. Joes-Fotowelten – Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm
118. Life is a Truth or Dare : Prophesying the FUTURE! – exploradors!!
119. The perils of riding a rickety bus – alone – Hi India
120. How Political Should You Get on Your Professional Blog? – Sweat, Tears and Digital Ink
121. CHAPTER # 20 – THE PROPHECY OF THE BLUE KINGDOM – Singledust
122. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – And the Words of the Prophets Are Written on the Subway Wall — Songwriters As Prophets
123. Microfiction: Guardian – Jane Dougherty Writes
124. Lamont and Dude Consider Prophesy – I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
125. thelonerose – Market day
126. The Uncoventional Pyschic – farrahstyles
127. speaking up for myself – Atonement?
128. PROPHACY – crystalessence1
129. Give glory – zorazebic
130. Sandmanjazz – Small Prophet, Quick Return
131. Anonymous in Cali – middle initial
132. Write Tribe: Dreams – Festival of Words – Day 7 – pins & ashes
133. Fortune-telling. true or false. – life’s journey
134. Predictions, why bother? – My Second Act, Scene One
135. Sean Hogan – Believe
136. Annette’s place – Daily prompt/Prophecy/6/25/2016
137. The Phenomenon that is Prophecy – introvertedactivistblog
138. Self fulfilling – Mistakes and Adventures
139. Fulfilled – Just Writing!
140. Culture Chronicle: Ramadan in Egypt – Get Lost!
141. Growing Toward the Sun – SATURDAY SUNSHINE: Ice Cream Shop Grows Toward The Sun
142. Daily Prompt:Prophecy – wordsareallihavesite
143. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Awe Dysfunctional Prophecy
144. Designer Sophisticate – Your own worst enemy.
145. Mind Fuck: Manipulation by Terror after Leaving the EU! – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
146. 83 Unsung Heroes – Memories And Feels
147. Prophecy – The Daily Post – D.B. Mauldin
148. Lantern Words – He Fulfilled Prophecy