Hello there ladies and gentlemen.
We have made it through another hectic week again! Give yourself a pat on the back and get read to enjoy another treat to finish things off and we can celebrate 🙂
(I will still be here though every day this month doing the 30 Day November Blogging Month Challenge for NanoPoblano, no rest for the wicked or the weekend, at least for a while anyway!)
For the ongoing Author Interview series, we have a guest tonight that I am extremely excited to introduce to you all.
May I present author Neal Davies, as he goes into more detail regarding his Sebastian Cork Crime Thriller series, along with how he comes up with his intriguing mysteries, situations and characters.
Enjoy the show and happy reading.
Hi there Neal, wonderful to have you with us here today.
Hi David, thanks for having me.
Let’s start with your Sebastian Cork crime thriller novel series. You have written two exploits so far and in them Sebastian does not sound like our usual conventional crime fighting heroes. Tell us more about the circumstances behind Sebastian’s inauguration into the murder mystery solving business and why he is such an engaging character for us to get behind in his quest to solve the mysteries that are completely baffling the authorities.
Sebastian Cork is a world renowned and award winning Psychologist who has written numerous books on communication and the art of understanding peoples body gestures. When I write about this fictional character I hope to give readers a gateway into the mind of a noted Psychologist who works as a consultant for the police and how he copes around others with his unorthodox mannerisms. The Sebastian Cork series is an invite into the life and times of a genius who stands out in the new age of crime solving. I think what’s different about Sebastian, is my books take you further than just the solving of crimes, they also give you insight into the relationship he has with his wife and partner and how they respond to a man who can be exceptionally complicated in his mannerisms, and other times kind and thoughtful to the point of naivety, yet never to be underestimated.
If your novels were to be made into movies (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
I’ve thought a lot about this question and although this may seem like an unusual choice, I would have to say Kelsey Grammer. Although Sebastian has seriousness about his persona, Kelsey displays that same unique flair in his character. They both have good hearts but also an untouchability about them which gives them a certain mystique. The person I would have play Sebastian’s wife Cynthia would be Rachel Griffiths as she has that very down to earth style which Cynthia uses to keep Sebastian on solid ground.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
Well for a start I definitely need a proof reader and I’m working hard to better myself in that area and the easiest would be developing my characters as I go. I enjoy setting the characters tasks that place them out of their comfort zones; this also creates new challenges for me.
Who are some of the authors and historical figures that inspire you?
Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes was my childhood hero (and still is).I also enjoy King and Patterson but prefer to read the older classics. As far as historical figures go I would have to say Mandela and Ghandi. Both men had wonderful insight and could see the best way to change negative situations was with passive-determination.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
I constantly use Google to find out what artery to cut, what drug to use, poisons etc and I can’t imagine what hackers would think if they broke into my account LOL!
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I have always wanted to have my own super-sleuth since I was a young boy and would write short stories in my room but writing also helps me with my Chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, as it gives my mind a time out from negative reoccurring thoughts.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I’m not really sure that I get writers block. If I don’t feel I can give my all to my characters, I will stop writing momentarily but I have at least five more of the series in my head and the stories just release as soon as I sit down to write.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
I’m not sure I can answer that question. I am who I am and it’s taken years of events, personal experiences (good and bad) to become who I am and I find it easier to accept that then delve into ‘what could have been’.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I do enjoy my friends on Facebook but I also love researching antiques and road trips.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline for another Sebastian Cork adventure?
Yes at the moment I am working on the third in the Sebastian Cork series (Friends and Consequences) but next year, I’m also looking to put out a new addition of the first book I ever wrote The Galaxy Guide to Adolescents and the Alien Within. It‘s a self-help book dealing with parent and teenage communication.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Don’t ever think the road is easy, it’s not but it’s much better than a life full of ‘what if’s?’
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for spending time with us Neal, we look forward to delving deeper into the world of Sebastian 🙂
I was born in a small country town in New South Wales Australia and my parents moved to Melbourne when I was four. I left school at fourteen to work stacking bricks with my father and brother and went back to school at forty to live my dream of one day becoming a counsellor. I wrote my first book at the age of fifty and have written seven self-help books, one adventure novel and two in the Sebastian Cork series with a third underway.
You can connect with Neal on the following Social Media channels:-
Facebook:- Neal Davies – Author (FB)
You can buy Neal’s books here:-
Buy the Sebastian Cork books by Neal Davies in Canada
Buy the Sebastian Cork books by Neal Davies in the UK/Europe
Buy the Sebastian Cork books by Neal Davies in the US/Rest of the World
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, Neal’s protagonist Sebastian is superb at his job because of his understating of the human condition. For more articles relating to the the ‘Understanding’ theme then check out the links below:-
1. The elephant in the room – And the penny drops…
2. I Would Rather Read – carpe diem
3. Frank Prem – the man who knew
4. 01 – Nitin’s ARK
5. My Mixed Blog – Overestimating Understanding
6. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – UNDERSTANDING
7. Lack of Creativity – Scott’s website
8. A Simple Note – Love talk: girl and bus analogy.
9. Musings of a Menopausal Maven – Understanding
10. pinkish reflections – In Concert
11. A New Day – From Sand to Gemstones
12. Flash Fiction for the Aspiring Writer: The Dial on the Metal Desk – Mandibelle16
13. “Understanding” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
14. Ad infinitum – Time
15. Understanding – Think Out Loud by Aida
16. Magazine Publication: Female Empowerment – KimKnight_Author
17. In owe – randomtoiletgraffiti
18. Glorious Impact – Understanding
19. canned lover – It’s not about to become, but to be
20. Fluffy Pool – American Nightmare
21. Understanding ~ Falling – Word Adventures
22. LM Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables – onturningpages
23. Blank – Timeandreflections
24. kindergartenknowledge.com – Empathy taught by children’s book.
25. Understand that you don’t understand, understand? – Lindeman Chiropractic…don’t just survive, THRIVE!
26. The Scene…The Silence – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
27. Understanding bird behaviour – As I See Things
28. sixty, single and surviving – The Daily Prompt; rebuilding a life
29. I don’t. – Lori’s Life and Other Stuff
30. Peace, Love, and Understanding – Restless Boundaries
31. Copper Cranes – Altered State
32. Enemies of Understanding – Lisa Jill Singh
33. Joy Write – I understand.
34. Understanding!? – iamioana
35. What is so difficult to understand? – Thirty by Thirty
36. Understanding – Samsara
37. The breath of your love… – maybeiamsure
38. Journey of Roo – Understanding
39. Is He Talking To Me? – Holy Addiction
40. Louiesse – Twists and Turns
41. tuckedintoacorner – comprehension (300)
42. Pen Pals… – Misunderstanding
43. Finding Inspiration in Unlikely Places. – byindiablue
44. The Colour of Poetry – Love and Understanding
45. Purposive Writer – The Gift of Understanding
46. shame – Myth
47. Light and Love to Orlando….. – PTSD – The Long Journey Home
48. do you have a studious side 😉 – pins & ashes
49. Indira’s Blog – The Daily Post- Understanding
50. Hope Filled Reads – Understanding Shoe String
51. Margret’s Life Journey! – Understanding
52. Scribbling thoughts – Understanding – Your own limits and boundaries
53. Learning to Understand. – My Wandering Heart
54. AZRYL ALI – Orlando Shooting: Understanding That Hate Is Not The Way
55. Shail’s Nest – Microblog Mondays: The under standing
56. Thinking Hat – Understanding
57. Understanding is the Key of a Healthy Relationship – Close to You
58. 24 (A Poem) – stephentotheplate
59. Prompted – It’s a dangerous world.
60. Kimberlee K. – To All the Girls I’ve Ever Compared Myself To
61. DAnger! – Pebbles
62. INSPIRING MAX – Understanding
63. Understand- Tribute to Orlando – The Looking Glass
64. Understandings – Sundragonlady’s House of Burgesses
65. Understanding Wedding Photography – Writing Rhythm
66. Musically Reviewed – Comprehending Tragedies
67. ReidCurrier.com: a new website, a new idea – ReidCurrier.com
68. Mainline_Matter – Basic G-Code Understanding
69. Finding Hope Ness – Crazy people commit mass-murder
70. bridget blogs – Understanding instead
71. To Stand and to See – StrangeLander2015
72. Violence – World Through My Eyes
73. A Vast Untamed Wasteland – A lot from Lydia
74. The Six Foot Jew – Local Picketers
75. ideas and culture – Cultural Understanding
76. Small Towns – I don’t think I’m looking for too much in a man
77. The Last Blog Available – ‘Immature Understanding ‘
78. A Glimpse into My Journey – Be more understanding
79. The Medici Files – What I Need From You Is…
80. From Romeo to Juliette – writealineblog
81. Understanding – Rhapsody in Blue
82. indian macgyver – Lucky Dog
83. UNDERSTANDING IS IDEAL – agurlblog
84. My Little World – Understanding
85. The art of understanding – persuasion2015
86. An Understanding with the Divine – caffeinetoyourdecaf
87. LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE – Empathy is a key for understanding
88. Crystal Lynn’s Journal Blog – Fragmented Identity: sentenced with the name of a child rapist…
89. Travel Much? – Happy Mother’s Day!
90. LOOKISM isn’t understanding – melaniesharesherlife
91. Understanding… – Mychoice360
92. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – A Certain (Lack of) Understanding
93. Lack of Creativity – Scott’s website
94. A Better World: The Power of Understanding – Lance Price Blog 2016
95. Understanding – Her Concealed Thoughts
96. B_ up to date – Sorry!
97. Understanding – Image & Word
98. The Seminary of Praying Mantis – Endure …
99. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 – Understanding human relationships
100. A World Filled With Love – withlovefromshannon
101. Maid’s Day Off – (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?
102. Not as you may know me – Just me and us blog
103. coldhandswarmheartsblog – At odds? No.
104. Understanding a new culture – world4womencom
105. powerofmovies – The power of understanding
106. Common Pursuit – An Understood Understanding
107. Today’s prompt – Understanding My Diabetes – Come in, sit down
108. Musings of a Random Mind – a coming out story
109. Behind The Books – DisappearFromReality
110. Understanding a killer? – Diary of fantastic discoveries
111. Life: Understanding – Sapphire Elisha
112. Writer Sanctuary – How to Successfully Work From Home Online
113. Understanding: How Should I write? – Dreamer’s Paradise
114. Understanding What is Important – jesuslovemercyandme
115. In Mourning – A Life In Transition
116. Accepting Unanswered Questions – Writer in Progress
117. Understanding – The “Serenity Prayer” is not just for addicts. – transcribingmemory
118. Zombie Flamingos – I think Sunday should be Randomness Sunday…
119. [Poetry] Diamond Mine – Let Me Stay Among The Stars
120. Gypsum Moon Vintage * Rocks * Style Blog – Real Life, After All
121. Positive Side Of The Coin – Inspiration : Learning For Life!!!
122. How to do Understanding: Step by Step Instructions – Welcome To Gen Y
123. Can I Tell You A Secret? – The Talkative Dreamer
124. Willow’s Corner – Help me try to understand…
125. Maybe a Fox by Kathi Appelt & Alison McGhee – Parabatai Reviews
126. theshivasponder – WORLD TEACHES
127. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Understanding
128. Daily Propmt: Understanding – wordsareallihavesite
129. Hi India – Understanding The cat of Mahabalipuram
130. June 12 – OPTIONAL POETRY
131. Jibber Jabber with Sue – All Things Personified…I Bet You Do It Too
132. Monkey on my back – An Extraordinary Ordinary Life
133. Faith Unlocked – Beyond our Understanding
134. A Natural Understanding – whippetwisdom.com
135. Tolle Lege – The Jolly Beggar – The Lord’s hidden servants by J.C. Ryle
136. Prompt for the Day: “Understanding” – saintpblogging BlogJob site
137. Giggles & Tales – Understanding – The Daily Prompt!
138. They, You and Me – material world….tanka
139. Prompt for the Day: “Understanding” – Saint P. Blogging
140. Yes, There Needs to be Gun Control. Here’s Why it Won’t Happen. – Ellies Little Adventure
141. Lucid Wine – Perspective or Understanding
142. Well that’s odd… – Unforgivable Understanding
143. My musings from South London – The importance of survival shelters
144. Understanding a Complicated Mind – Her Snippets
145. Crossing Colorado – Can I Lose Weight By Walking?
146. Understanding – The Inkwell
147. Growing Toward the Sun – Gun Violence Through The Eyes Of A 13-Year-Old
148. SERENDIPITY – UNDERSTANDING YOUR PINGBACKS
149. Self-improvement: Understanding the situation you are in – Say Yes To Greatness
150. 8 years later… – purpleorangesite
151. Sure Scribbles – Heart of Gold
152. Flowers and Breezes – Undestanding
153. Success Inspirer’s World – An understanding spouse
154. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – Any Fool Can Know. The Point Is to nderstand – Einstein
155. To this point of understanding – Oh, Noisy Mind
156. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 – Understanding delinquent parents
157. Charron’s Chatter – Over-state
158. Days.. – Kindergarten teacher diaries
159. Little Bitty Eagle – ASSAULT “TYPE” WEAPON
160. Fiction Friday Kayllisti’s Quill – Magic School Prompt
161. Lamont and Dude Discuss Understanding – I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
162. Awl and Scribe – Understanding
163. UNDERSTAND & ACT – jeffdicksonblog
164. Growing Toward the Sun – How We Are Dealing With Gun Violence: The Definition Of Insanity
165. Random…Yet Not So Random Thoughts Of Mine – Changing Your Personal Interpretation: Keys to Better Understanding
166. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Feline Understanding
167. Understanding-Daily Prompt – Fluffy to Foxy
168. What Rhymes with Stanza? – Coming to Agreement
169. Understanding you and me.. – skyravens
170. Self Love Sunday – elbowsandtongue
171. Understanding – thepoeticturk
172. The Gad About Town – A Moment of Understanding
173. we have an understanding – Singledust
174. Le Drake Noir – Why
175. Night sky is black – Jane Dougherty Writes
176. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Understanding it all?
177. Understanding – bookyglover
178. Still can’t say NO – Magic of this moment
179. Understanding Mom ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
180. ruminatorsite – Some things can’t be understood
181. polyglot for life – 10 reasons why trying to understand others will make your life so much happier
182. Flow is Harmony – Kurtis Lunz
183. Coming to Terms – by EMILY
184. a.matter.of.interest – The Disappearance of Language
185. The Hillbilly Blogger – Define Understanding – Momma
186. Get Your Paddles Out – The Pinging Has Resumed! – along the side of the road
187. Daily Prompt; Understanding – tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
188. One Line Sunday- Understand this – In my world
189. Understanding – My Second Act, Scene One
190. speaking up for myself – The Feast
191. A Sunken Thought – Little To No Sense
192. Understanding #TheDailyPost – Of Glass & Paper
193. Growing Up Into Harsh Realities – Desertedroad
194. kStan(ly) kSays – acknowledgements…
195. the15thday – quite frankly i never want this to be understood as the norm
196. Ahmeli – The Devoted Doctor
197. Magnanimous Word – Ode To Pingbacks
198. When I’m Under Standing – Pete Gardner Psalms
199. Growing Toward the Sun – Shoulders Can Be Distracting
200. Understanding – heart2go
201. 83 Unsung Heroes – I Gotta Feeling
202. La Tour Abolie – Spock -v- Spock, 2106
203. Senseless hatred – zorazebic
204. thelonerose – Understanding doesn’t make it easier
205. Icesabel – In your shoes
206. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: understanding
207. Hot White Snow – Connected
208. The Dark Night – Sithu’s
209. Lessons from the Roof of Africa – Get Lost!
210. Before Dawn in Early Summer – HemmingPlay
211. Designer Sophisticate – Not this shit again.
212. Lantern Words – Understanding It’s Right