Hello there everyone.
Welcome to the latest Author Interview for this week and I’m sure you all cannot wait to get stuck into the weekend (and to be honest, who could blame you, I’m there with you all the way!)
Tonight, let me introduce to you all author L.A. Cataldo, as she gives us some more background on her debut novel Dark Past, along with providing us with her motivations to write and her tips on writing advice.
Stay frosty friends and enjoy the show.
Hi there Laurie, thank you for taking the time to chat with us today.
Let’s start with your debut novel “Dark Past”. This is a romantic suspense book, so please keep us in suspense no longer and tell us more about the story arc, how your lovers meet and what sort of challenges they are going to face if they are going to beat the odds to embrace true love.
Isabella Lovino moved to New York City to hide from the demons of her past, leaving everyone behind. Her troubled history makes it difficult to get a job, but when an opportunity comes up to work at an architectural firm, she takes it. On her first day of work she bumps into a stranger on the street and her whole world changes.
The gorgeous Jason Hart owns his own architectural firm, but that’s not enough. He knows what he wants, and what he wants is the beautiful Isabella Lovino—the same thing he has wanted since college. When he sees her at the restaurant, he knows he can’t let her get away this time. Will she notice him now?
This couple goes through a lot. So many challenges, trials. The book is still so new, I just can’t spoil it. 🙂
What elements draw you into writing in the Romantic Suspense genre? Is this a genre that you have always been both interested and written in?
I love romance novels. My whole life I dreamed of that perfect man and how it would develop. That being said, in real life, these stories do not happen. So, I would read about it. I loved the direction each story would pull me in. It was like tugging at my heart strings in different ways. I was hooked on the romance genre.
I’ve read a book or two as I was younger but at that time I really never got into reading. My mother was an avid reader. She read every day. I could never understand how she could be so enthralled in all those books. Until, one day at work I was so bored. I started listening to short stories on the radio. They kept my mind at bay. I began to want more. So, I started looking into novels. At that point, I found Audible. I tried my first book and that was it. I WAS HOOKED. I listened to a book every day practically. I could not stop! For a year straight I think I was in la-la land. There are so many fantastic writers out there.
I sat in front of my computer one day and just started writing. I don’t know where it came from or why but I just did it. The shenanigans in my head…I couldn’t stop! All these ideas just poured out of my mind. And there you have it. My first romance novel Dark Past.
I think romantic suspense genre is more inviting. It grabs people and keeps them wanting. I think that is one of the reason I chose that genre. But really, it’s what my mind wants to write. I look at the blank screen and the stories just pour out. It takes on its own direction.
If your novel was to be made into a film (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
This is a good question. I actually haven’t thought about that. H’mm, who would I want to cast? I would love the cover models to do it but I’m sure that is not an option. So I would go with female actress Samara Weaving. Male actor Liam Hemsworth.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The most difficult for me is finding accurate information. When I’m writing it, I just go with the flow. Then, I have to go back and find believable information. Like places, distances, parks, buildings, Etc. etc. That part is the most challenging.
The easiest is just writing it. It flows out of me.
Who are some of the authors and historical figures that inspire you?
I’ll forever love Shakespeare. Jane Austin is another.
What sort of research did you do to write your book?
I’ve searched maps for accurate flow for the book. Checked on restaurants. All different types of places that may be in the book.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I write because I love it! What inspired me…? Listening to audio books. They bring books to life and something with that pulled me in front of my computer screen. They motivated me. I’ve always had the stories in my mind. I find myself re-writing movies when they air. My whole life I played out scenes in my head. I figured why not write it on paper.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I find myself blocking the writer’s block. Ignoring it seems to help. Ha-ha. I don’t even know how to explain it other than it’s a mind thing. When I start to think I have writers block. I block out that part in my mind and just start to write. As if I ignored it. But, other times I find myself going for a walk. Seems to clear my mind or go do something to distract myself.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
I would tell myself to pursue the career I wanted. Also, I was at a modelling agency one day and a woman pulled me aside that worked there. She told me about a part in a movie that I should do. If things didn’t hold me back at the time, which were personal, I would tell myself to do it.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
In my free time, I watch my husband’s band play when they have gigs. Sometimes I go for walks. Oh and yes don’t forget the books stores. I go there every chance I get.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Actually, I’m just about done with editing my second book Dark Presence. Book two in the Dark series. Some exciting things come to play. I can’t wait till it’s published. I also can’t wait till everyone gets their hands on it. Their expressions will light my face in excitement. Oh, you don’t want to miss out on this novel. 🙂
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Don’t give up! I’ve seen a few out there stressed and the pressure on. I see them about to throw in the towel. Don’t do it! Ignore negativity. Just remember why you started to write. Push everything else aside. Close your social media and go do what you love. Remember, I’ll be waiting for that fantastic story to read and you may be holding the key to my next book boyfriend.
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for spending time with us Laurie, we can’t wait to go check out your work and have a fantastic weekend 🙂
L. A. Cataldo’s books combine Romance, Thriller, Suspense with humor. Her approach to writing is fast paced, love, some dark, and emotional impact. They’re engaged to grab you and keep you wanting.
She is a romantic at heart. She believes that a true romance can become reality. Or maybe in one’s dreams.
She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and 2 sons, and a bunch of dogs running around.
She was raised in a large family of Sicilians. Mother was an avid reader which caused her love for books.
You can connect with her on the following Social Media channels:-
Facebook:- L.A. Cataldo – Author (FB)
Goodreads:- L.A. Cataldo (Goodreads Author)
GooglePlus:– L.A. Cataldo – Author (GooglePlus)
Instagram:- L.A. Cataldo – Author (Instagram)
Twitter:- L.A. Cataldo – Author (Twitter)
Website:- The Website of L.A. Cataldo – Romance Author
You can buy Laurie’s books here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, it is obvious from Laurie’s book that her protagonists should be together, even if it is not immediately apparent to them as they work through their issues to allow love to flourish in their lives. For more articles relating to the theme of ‘Obvious’ then check out the links below:-
1. Coordinates – guidedbygreatnesspart2
2. Le Fool is will now be Le Happy, yes he shall be – Le Happyone
3. Twiggy-Girl – Taking it easy to get faster
4. The Blacklist season premiere – jessicasblog45
5. American Gothic 2016 – jessicasblog45
6. shame – To the little Southern girl on the beach
7. Obvious order of things – snowqueensvt
8. Fluffy Pool – Married with Children
9. I wrote a book. Now what? – The FAB pencil
10. Flower Clocks – Chapter 002: The hero suddenly proposed to me, but . . .
11. Shiver me timbers, “it’s cold in Sri Lanka?” – Uma’s life and thoughts
12. I wrote a book. Now what? – Over used and oft abused.
13. Making Up For The Days Lost – Melolontha by the River
14. Madeline Scribes – you are not alone
15. The Hillary Conundrum – LazyHaze
16. Louiesse – On Chances and Changes
17. Obvious – StrangeLander2015
18. The View From My Window – So Obvious…
19. As I See Things – Right In Front of Your Eyes
20. Stating the Obvious – just a little magic
21. Taking Faith Seriously: The Truth Behind Every Joke – Lance Price Blog 2016
22. poetry || clarity denied. – mind JO business
23. Obvious – “Bajan,” Chinese Style
24. Images of love – zorazebic
25. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Staying The Course
26. Bittersweet Sensations – the lady kept her mouth shut
27. Day-To-Day Photography – Obvious
28. It’s All in Finding the Right Words – Obvious
29. artifiswords – OBVIOUS
30. The Showers of Blessing – Life’s Currents
31. Awl and Scribe – Obvious
32. What if obvious isn’t that obvious. – An Incorrigible Optimist
33. Modern society – MeRoar
34. Purposive Writer – Living Life One Day At A Time (Caroline’s 30 Days Sunrise Photo And Health Challenge: Day 28)
35. theblackwallblog – An Old Letter of Youth
36. Sequel to report Translator Tool //Vervolg op bericht Translator-Tool // Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
37. Why Are You Vegan? – London Vegan Bunny
38. The purple sunflower – Afterlife Love Story
39. Sun and Moon – Alchemy of Story
40. Little joys – Life of Di
41. so very very obvious … – writemebad
42. It’s obvious – He is just not that into you – escapingperfection
43. Le Drake Noir – Obvious beauty
44. Spider Web – Street Biter
45. Obvious – It’s Simply an Addiction
46. The Syllabub Sea – Obviously…
47. In a long distance relationship now – Ms Skyfall
48. Obvious Feeling – Freedom From Home – Breath Math
49. “Is it that obvious?” – Abi&Stella
50. What’s That Noise – Asleep At The Wheel
51. Obvious – Live, Laugh, Love Writing.
52. imagined america – Trailblazers
53. MY ENDURING BONES – What Do You Want To Be For Halloween?
54. What’s that noise? – Asleep At The Wheel
55. So Obvious. – CrossGear
56. Devil Doll Musings – I Try
57. Intelligence From the First Plane – Oh, border!
58. obvious – Morrighan’s Muse
59. Gamboling Problem – Miniature
60. Poem: Trying too Hard (NZ National Poetry Day 2016) – It’s Mayur Remember?
61. Positively Un-broken – Spiders
62. Cinders and Ashes – Bolognese’s Blog
63. Finding Me – The lack of self-love is obvious
64. The Voices (poem) – Who I Was
65. kindergartenknowledge.com – Sort of Obvious About Football.
66. inspiration in progress – Obvious
67. Julie Powell – Photographer & Graphic Artist – Daily Post – Obvious
68. Lisa’s Journal Blog – Obvious
69. Ob(li)vious – writemebad
70. No Brainer! – a nomad in cyberspace
71. another quiet muse – Isn’t It Obvious?
72. authoranonblog – Self Destruct
73. Light Motifs – My Little Soul Dude
74. Annette’s place – Daily prompt/obvious/8/26/2016
75. Today’s Prompt: Obvious. A story of an old chair. – websaladbar
76. My kinda town….Chicago is – By the Wayside
77. Petra Omoregie Caroline – Sunrise or sunset? Day 15 Caroline’s sunrise photo and health challenge
78. Coke Zero starring U.S. Olympian – By the Wayside
79. La Grande Delusion – Making Sense of Complications
80. Obvious, or not? – As Told by Ali
81. Daily Post Prompt: The Obvious Beauty of Children, A Poem – Sumyanna Writes
82. domestic diva – A Magic like No Other
83. Thorns – aYoKa
84. Giggles & Tales – The Daily Prompt – Obvious!
85. Meander Marquee – Missed the obvious
86. The Obvious Omnipresent – rupalislale
87. Vijftig Likes in minder dan een maand / Theo Herbots // Fifty Likes in less than one month / Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
88. Leandra Knott Poetry – Obvious Mystery
89. manvsloneliness – Day 54 Supplemental: The Man and the Daily Prompt; ‘Obvious’
90. Art Mimics Life – Filbert & Smudge
91. The Well-Informed Namer – Daring Daedalus
92. Obvious- Daily Prompt (1st attempt) – All Things Steph
93. Target blood glucose levels for Type 2 Diabetes – Come in, sit down
94. In Summer’s World – OBVIOUSLY IT’S NOT SO OBVIOUS
95. The Blush Of Truth – Leigha Robbins
96. Autism in Our Nest – Opportunity Knocked
97. Looking Back – Odyssey In Atlantis
98. lemonadeletter – life course.
99. obviously not obvious – Love it Now
100. Out my Kitchen Window ~ Healing Voice – Word Adventures
101. Underwear vs. Inner-Ware – findingbreathless
102. The unanswered question – Painted in words
103. ‘Training’ – The Last Blog Available
104. Meet Me in Nevada – Driving in LV
105. Ryan Lochte? Obviously – Mac’s World
106. No I don’t do decor| the not so obvious role of an event manager – demiguardsa
107. Life in a Few Words – Not So Obvious
108. Modern society – Nomad 2.0
109. Common Pursuit – Law and Order
110. Musings of a Random Mind – Nothing Left to Hide
111. Runner’s Fartlek – Sneakers on Pavement
112. copypower – OBVIOUS
113. Daily Post – Obvious – Girls just wanna have fun
114. Rattle, Rattle – Justus Books
115. Penz4Lipz – Oblivious to the Obvious
116. Epiphany – Mind Cleanup – Summer edition
117. Obvious – A Thomas Point of View
118. Is it Obvious? – …Illusive…Road…
119. Flowers and Breezes – Obvious
120. Proverbs and sayings that touch the heart // // Theo Herbots Day 2 – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
121. Southern By Design – Thank You Generation Obvious
122. Christine’s Collection – Obviously
123. Obvious – Image & Word
124. Obvious – Awordseeker
125. prompt: obvious – ode to the stargazers
126. Signs of Life – Caillen James –Author
127. I didn’t know it! – Ever wondered why…
128. The Poetry Channel – Anima Mine
129. Jibber Jabber with Sue – The Oh-So Obvious Signs of….
130. wordsareallihavesite – Daily Prompt:Obvious
131. Too Much Thigh – A mile in my shoes
132. Echoes of the Silent Spring – a brave new science
133. mama bear – know my heart
134. Love Bubble – mokita dreams
135. She – Volume 11 : Designed By Me, For Me – Specscladeyes
136. the15thday – …did i drop it, kick it, or merely lob it in the sort-of right direction?!
137. To Wear A Rainbow – In my eyes
138. Love and War : Part 2 [DWPrompt] – The Cliffhanger Chronicle
139. Confessions of a Curly Girl – Maybe
140. Nostalgia – The ink drop
141. the FLAVORED word – The one piece of advice a writer needs
142. Chris Writes – I Wish It Were More Obvious
143. The Millennial Generation: Overtaking the Baby Boomers? – Writings from the eart
144. Light & life – Need Some Cooks in this Editorial Kitchen
145. An Invitation to Love Once More – stephentotheplate
146. Obvious – Covert Novelist
147. Writing and Works – The Day The News Made My Blood Boil
148. Obvious – Words in verse…..
149. Writer Sanctuary – Can Fitness Really Improve Your Writing?
150. FaithWalkingHebrews11:1 – The Not so Obvious Obviousness
151. Common Sense and obvious – persuasion2015
152. Lissom – indisputably inconclusive
153. Laurel Grove loves… – My first Tinder trap: one woman’s tale
154. THE WAY I WAS SEEN – littleflamesblog
155. The Blindly Obvious? Magic Eye! – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
156. Happy Birthday US National Parks – Nomadic Adventurer
157. How Blue is my Sapphire – ARJUN SHIVARAM
158. Alpha Butler Charlie – Goodbye, husband
159. SERENDIPITY – IT’S OBVIOUS … ISN’T IT?
160. There Are More Poets than Stars in the Firmament – obviously she’s not natural
161. Travel Much? – Tokyo much? Manga-Mania
162. Oblivious to the Obvious – Views From Around the Corner
163. In the blink of an eye – pix to words
164. Obvious? – Pippakin Talks Cats, Dogs, Teeth and Claws
165. Rhemas of the Heart – Denying the Obvious
166. 83 Unsung Heroes – Obvious And Ambiguous
167. Original-Dante – Clarity.
168. kStan(ly) kSays – his heart was on his sleeve
169. Peaceful Journey – Is It Obvious?
170. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: The Obvious feline
171. Today’s Face of Evil – A lot from Lydia
172. Impromptu Promptlings – It all begins with me… (Sandbox Writing Challenge 53)
173. multiplemyelomaandme – Let’s Do It
174. Lamont and Dude Ponder Obviosity – Where’s the Windmill?
175. Your Choice – Pete Gardner Psalms
176. Chronicling life & recording thoughts – It is obvious that…
177. Obvio – Blog do Palhao
178. Life with Jess – I Don’t Get It
179. Crossing Colorado – Do Steps Really Matter When Trying to Be Fit?
180. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Isn’t it Obvious?
181. Obvious really! – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
182. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – With a camera everything is obvious
183. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN – Baggage handlers waiting for flights
184. Perceptions Unplugged – Obvious
185. It’s Obvious…I Hate My Job! – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
186. Say the Obvious One More Time! – Gripping Black
187. A Shattered Dream – atrangizindagieksafar
188. Let The Light In ~ Reflections
189. Is a Strong U.S. Dollar good or bad? – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
190. Obvious – antonellacostablog
191. Michael J. Fite – Do You Obviously Change Your Goals Or Change Your Action Steps?
192. First Dance – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
193. You also want the translation program as the site of Theo Herbots? – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
194. obviously obvious ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
195. Sometimes, Words Are Not Enough. – Your deevibes
196. a bliss of birds – Can These Broken Wings Learn to Fly?
197. Bare Soul – Let Me Stay Among The Stars
198. Southern By Design – Generation Obvious
199. “…I Wouldn’t Lie To You About That.”~HIM – Insidious Temptation
200. The Well-Informed Namer – Elowen
201. Isn’t that obvious? – A Walk in the Woods
202. rhymeagination – OBVIOUS SECRETS
203. Le Happyone – Le Fool is will now be Le Happy, yes he shall be
204. Ideas for Teaching Ag – Obvious
205. Obvious Smiles.. – My valiant soul
206. Viper Pit Memoirs – Fears of Obvious Provenance
207. Success Inspirers’ World – Your destiny is obvious to me (Add a line or more No 64)
208. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – It’s Obvious
209. Into The Wild – CANEST
210. Riley Central – Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop: ‘Tattle Management’
211. Obvious – disue
212. Obvious Mercy – Redhead Reflections
213. I wrote a book. Now what? – It’s funny you said that…
214. Mainline_Matter – Feeding Obvious
215. Sweet Corn (haiku) – genusrosa
216. Martha L Shaw – DON’T KEEP IT SECRET!
217. Oblivious Obfuscators Obviously – Monkebus
218. Current Reading – English Lit Geek
219. Devil Doll Musings – When I Get You Alone
220. Perhaps – indisputably inconclusive
221. Full-Time – Muse
222. My Bag… and My Mind! – Random Thoughts and Musings
223. Obvious – Asleep At The Wheel
224. Hidden in Plain Sight – My Second Act, Scene One
225. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: obvious
226. Come – Bloggers Paradise
227. Do we really need that? – The DADgum Blog
228. Obvious eh? – mum’s going nuts
229. How my fascination with Sherlock Holmes began – Wanderlust
230. La Tour Abolie – Blinding glimpses of the obvious
231. Trying to be positive – Obviously I love you….
232. Week 32: About a curse – writing blog
233. Learning to Be Alone Is How We Prepare to Be Together – Blog to Memoir
234. kStan(ly) kSays – in awe of the older among us
235. RAH’S MIRROR – Obvious
236. Zombie Flamingos – Na na na na na na na na (theme from Batman here)…Kitten Thursday!
237. The Obvious – LIVING AND LEARNING
238. Courtesy Mommy! – The Cliffhanger Chronicle
239. The Ambitious Drifter – Schrodinger Missed The Obvious
240. OBVIOUS – My QuotesVilla
241. Incredible Pie – What can you do to convert your ‘Pseudo Admirers’ into your ‘Fans’!(on wordpress obviously, in real life don’t even try!)
242. Race doesn’t exist, but we do. – PsychPerspectives
243. Lost Property Repository – Snowflake Episode 14
244. On the Park Bench – Heaven’s Sunshine
245. An Encounter with Hades – Khayal
246. Could you not see the obviousness? – The Mistful Mind
247. Word Origin: Obvious – Justus Books
248. Nothing is… – lucarna
249. kristinakoti – Corner of gratitude
250. A letter so special from a wife to her husband.. must read – mySestina
251. Don’t Emphasize the Obvious – Just Writing!
252. It’s pretty obvious – Will She Be Back
253. B_ up to date – Obviously obvious
254. Even Baby Steps Can Take You Somewhere – The Martian Princess Chronicles
255. memories – Anger
256. Lost Property Repository – Obvious
257. Shell’s Studio – It’s Obvious
258. The Wandering Poet – Clearly a good day to visit ^.^
259. OBVIOUSLY – curiousitygotmecom
260. Boring Bug – A piece of mind (Shout Out)
261. Lantern Words – He Is Obvious
262. Like the Lamp – Coordinates
263. Aubade/Serenade – Bits of Poems