Hey there everyone.
Welcome to your Monday treat to kick off the week.
For tonight in the Author Interview series, we chat to author Daniel Shand about his debut thriller novel “Fallow” and he shares his own personal motivations to write.
And now – on with the show.
Hi there Daniel, thank you ever so much for being our featured guest here today.
Let’s start with your debut thriller novel “Fallow”. Your book has been hailed as an unpredictable road novel that focuses on two brothers bound by a terrible crime. There is much more to these two nefarious brothers than meets the eye. Please tell us without giving the game away why the antics of Paul and Mikey draw us in uncomfortably but compellingly for the ride of our lives, one page at a time.
I think we enjoy stories about people who are outside the law and we like to witness people unravel. I think most readers will catch on quickly to what’s going on in Fallow, but I think that’s part of the fun.
What specifically compels you to write in the crime thriller genre? Do you have any friends or family involved in law enforcement or is it a particular passion of yours that you tend to gravitate towards?
I don’t know much about the crime thriller genre, I’m afraid. I suppose I just wrote the book I wanted to write and that book was about a pair of murderers. I don’t know what that says about me.
If your novel was to be made into a film, who would you cast in the lead roles?
You would want something pretty intense for Paul, the protagonist. Maybe Michael Fassbender channelling a maniac.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The easiest part is the first draft. For me, there’s nothing better than that. The real work is in the editing.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
Cormac McCarthy was the first big one. You read his fiction and realise that there are no rules, no limitations at all. Obviously, I wouldn’t dare to compare my work to his, but his novels were the first that made me go, ‘I want to try that.’
What sort of research did you do to write your book?
Not much at all, I have to admit — it’s not a very realistic book.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
Because it’s a lot of fun and costs nothing. You can write whatever you like — the only limiting factor is whether you can convince other people to believe in it.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I set deadlines for myself and I’ve become quite good at thinking they’re real.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Reading (of course), going to the cinema, the pub. I’m doing more walking these days.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
I’m working on a novel about a mother and daughter — that’s all I’ll say for now.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Make sure you’re writing the sort of thing you would want to read yourself.
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for your time Daniel, we appreciate it and look forward to checking out your book, along with your future releases 🙂
Daniel Shand was born in Kirkcaldy in 1989 and currently lives in Edinburgh, where he is a PhD candidate at the University of Edinburgh and a Scottish literature tutor.
His shorter work has been published in a number of magazines and he has performed at the Edinburgh International Book Festival. He won the University of Edinburgh Sloan Prize for fiction and the University of Dundee Creative Writing Award.
You can connect with Daniel on the following Social Media channels:-
Goodreads:- Daniel Shand (Goodreads Author)
Twitter:- @danshand (Twitter)
Website:- The Website of Author Daniel Shand
You can buy Daniel’s book here:-
Buy Daniel Shand’s “Fallow” in Canada
Buy Daniel Shand’s “Fallow” in the UK/Europe
Buy Daniel Shand’s “Fallow” in the US/Rest of the World
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well Daniel’s debut is all about witnessing the psychological unravelling of his lead protagonists after they commit a crime and then taking us along for the ride. For more articles relating the theme of ‘Witness’ then check out the links below:-
1. Travel Much? – Flamenco is not just a bird!
2. A Witness to this Time in History – Jared on Earth
3. Desire to be Reborn – mySestina
4. Oculus – jessicasblog45
5. CyberBully – jessicasblog45
6. shame – To the little Southern girl on the beach
7. shame – In my defence
8. Fluffy Pool – Inspiration
9. Theresa Barker – Lab Notes – nearly invisible stitches
10. Standing Up – Eagle’s Wing Ministries
11. She didn’t know her past but knew she could flee the interrogation room – psychologistmimi
12. Making Up For The Days Lost – Melolontha by the River
13. Answer to ‘What is It?’ And Another to Guess! 🙂 – Palpable Pennings
14. Witness: My Own Self Protection Program – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
15. My Mixed Blog – False Witness
16. Water of Rain – Dancing with Shiva
17. Speak Out – StrangeLander2015
18. Confessions of a Curly Girl – Be Not Afraid
19. Crime Writing Prompt Short Story: The Stick up – KimKnight_Author
20. Daily Word Writing Prompt: Letter to a Stranger – KimKnight_Author
21. Copper Cranes – The Hanged Man
22. A Texan’s View of Upstate New York – Sunday Sunsets
23. Fiction in 5 Sentences – Thoughts Uncovered
24. Bizarre witnesses – Stories from A Closet of Errors
25. As I See Things – Right In Front of Your Eyes
26. H DIARY – Weekly Round Up [Witness]
27. kwesi – witness
28. No, Jesus is not all we need – Let The Light In ~ Reflections
29. Understanding the Liberation of Sin Through Jesus – Lance Price Blog 2016
30. Her pink nail polish – zorazebic
31. Websites: Build a Business Site Gebracht door Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
32. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – Tips for Writing Memoir – Simply Step Back and Witness Your Own Life
33. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Staying The Course
34. LIFE, LEMONS, ESCAPADES – DAILY: Witnessing Sacrifices
35. This is Another Story – A Quiet Exit
36. Tell momma I was good – aYoKa
37. Witness Box – a nomad in cyberspace
38. Game of Life – The Chaos Within
39. Witness Then Act – Jacquilane
40. My Rosary Beads – Blog Andrew
41. Purposive Writer – His Witness
42. Shut out – Asleep At The Wheel
43. The purple sunflower – Afterlife Love Story
44. Positieve kijk op het leven door Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
45. “Witness.” – Nomadic Adventurer
46. MY ENDURING BONES – The Quiet Witness
47. Witness – Words in verse…..
48. Twisted Roads of Madness – Day 107 – Witness – Daily Prompt Short Story
49. Frank Prem – Whirley-gigging the coffee
50. Lost Property Repository – Snowflake epsiode 15
51. Word Witness – Blue Loft
52. Twisted Roads of Madness – Day 107 – Witness – Daily Prompt Sort Story
53. XingfuMama – Watching the sunset
54. Wither Or Thrive – When You Witness, You Are Touched
55. My Witness: Richard Seaman – juantetcts
56. Behind The Curtain – Leigha Robbins
57. McClendon Villa – The Witness
58. inspiration in progress – Obvious, Part 2
59. Lakeland Musings by Irwin – To See or Not To See
60. The things we forget to appreciate – Painted in words
61. the road of no light, the map of no road – Kevin Army
62. another quiet muse – Witness… a Dirge
63. Falling in Love with the Villain – World Through My Eyes
64. In the Midst of Wildflowers – Heaven’s Sunshine
65. Witness with Wit-My dear daughter – rupalislale
66. Witness – Skyzcandies
67. Making it write – Amazon
68. Helpless – Bolognese’s Blog
69. Anxiety Pangs – Oh, border!
70. MCG+07-33-027 – Making Sense of Complications
71. manvsloneliness – Day 55 Supplemental: The Man and the Daily Prompt; ‘Witness’
72. Talking to Myselves – How to let your characters write for you
73. artifiswords – WITNESS
74. What I Gotta Say About It – Be The Observer: Know Yourself
75. It’s All in Finding the Right Words – Witness
76. DaringToJess – In Praise of Boredom
77. Meander Marquee – Me and You
78. Witness – Random Thoughts and Musings
79. to witness is not enough – Love it Now
80. Writer 873 – Just Answer The Question
81. What Kind of Cookie Are You? – ONE MORE SHOT PLEASE
82. splendippity – Five Seconds
83. Witness ~ Destroyed – Word Adventures
84. A Day In The Life – Witness
85. Welcome to Mother Willow – Being the witness
86. Making it write – Out of control
87. Le Drake Noir – Motivational ripples
88. Witness – …Illusive…Road…
89. Witness – A Thomas Point of View
90. Fusion in proportion – Mr.Brb_blog
91. SPELLS AND PROVERBS WHICH THE HEART touch THEO HERBOTS PART 3 – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
92. Witness – disue
93. Travel Much? – Roskilde Cathedral – Twise a Queen
94. Poetry of Witness – English Lit Geek
95. BreatheShellyGirl – Witness
96. Fractal Fortress – Daily post: witness
97. How to Fight the Negative to Win a Successful Run – Sneakers on Pavement
98. Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
99. words. – A Witness to this Time in History
100. Was that for real? – Mahiself
101. diving into the deep end – write where I belong
102. Life in a Few Words – Shades of Me
103. Barryjack’s Place – Part of the process
104. B_ up to date – Level of identifying
105. Writing and Works – Free Write Friday -Nonsense From The Other Side Of The Table
106. Like the Lamp – Bearing Witness
107. Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN – A matter of chatter on back steps?
108. Sans witness~smooth sins – Walkthrough.blog
109. copypower – Witness
110. Saskatchewan drinking water measures could be in place for months due to Husky oil spill: official Financial Post – Top Stories – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
111. Be A Witness – Bitter Sweet
112. Turn That Radio Up – You Really Got Me
113. The Hidden Chalkboard (The HC) – The Rise of a Global Crisis
114. Memories of Monsters – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
115. Tip for Writing Memoir – Simply Step Back and Witness Your Past – Blog to Memoir
116. Shell Games – Please Call the First Witness!
117. Encounter – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
118. A witness – Awordseeker
119. You are my Witness – Onto My Next 40 Years
120. Waldeinsamkeit – The ink drop
121. Riley Central – #Diary ‘The Real Output’
122. Unrequited – Caillen James –Author
123. An Upturned Soul – Stepping Through a Virgo Door
124. a bliss of birds – All I Could Do Was to Sit, Sit, Sit, Sit
125. Crossing Colorado – Do You Need a Fitness Trainer to Succeed in Health?
126. Lisa’s Journal Blog – Witness
127. The Gad About Town – Bearing Witness
128. I Will Fight Site – it was AMAZING !!! or was it ???
129. debooWORKS – An Old Friend
130. Fallen Leaves – atrangizindagieksafar
131. The Showers of Blessing – Life’s Currents
132. K. Phoenix – Witnessing An Abused Love
133. Annette’s place – Daily prompt/witness/8/26/2016
134. Writer Sanctuary – 5 WordPress Tools Every Site Should Have
135. Opportunist vs Optimist – The Cliffhanger Chronicle
136. Mysteries of Life…You and Me – Watching in Silence
137. wordsareallihavesite – Witness
138. SERENDIPITY – WITNESSING HISTORY
139. Nieuwe Gezegden en Spreuken door Theo Herbots // New Proverbs and Sayings by Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
140. Meet Me in Nevada – What Happened?
141. They Don’t Really See Her – Odyssey In Atlantis
142. A Howling Hound – littleflamesblog
143. We all are witnesses – Writer’s Blog
144. The Date – Postcard from a Pigeon
145. Sure Scribbles – The Notebook.
146. Life with Jess – Can I Get A Witness?
147. Daily Post Prompt: Witness – The Happy Wordcrafter
148. Haiku: Witness To The Magic – whippetwisdom.com
149. Southern By Design – My Journey In Faith
150. I witnessed his presence but he wasn’t there. – An Incorrigible Optimist
151. You Called Yourself Father ****** – Insidious Temptation
152. The Witness – Rambling Kori
153. Trash Day – A lot from Lydia
154. Witness – Covert Novelist
155. A Place Called Here :Witness The Bipolar Mind – curiousitygotmecom
156. The Terrorist – a short fiction – ARJUN SHIVARAM
157. Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep….. – In a Perfectly Imperfect World
158. No Witnesses – shiftinbeauty
159. Kimberlee K. – The Olympics & the Human Spirit
160. The Witness – undressed curlie girlie
161. Michael J. Fite – What Will People Witness About You Today?
162. Mainline_Matter – Witness Fact
163. Witnessing A Milestone – My Second Act, Scene One
164. Conclusion – indisputably inconclusive
165. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: The Feline Witness
166. What’s the Wall, Anyway? – Where’s the Windmill?
167. Liar Liar – writemebad
168. kStan(ly) kSays – five fingers
169. Shell’s Studio – Witness to Ginger Ninja
170. sixty, single and surviving – Can I Get a Witness?
171. Heaven or Hell – Ms Skyfall
172. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Witness
173. Liar Liar – writemebad
174. Does my bum look big in this? – indisputably inconclusive
175. Finding Hope in Our Homework – Unlearning
176. Be careful who you subpoena ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
177. Madeline Scribes – When good magic goes bad
178. iamdeltapositivenegative – Witness
179. Eyes and Ears above all else – dorkyglassesblog
180. Witnessing Miracles – Ripples N Reflections
181. There Are More Poets than Stars in the Firmament – last rites of the condemned
182. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – The Daily Witness
183. Relax – In whatever ways we do..
184. Peaceful Journey – I Bear Witness
185. Colombia witnesses peace finally. – wizard3417
186. A Week in Sydney – wanderlustandcoffeelover
187. I Believe! A Post about the Reasons that I Believe and about Why I Write & Paint – Can I Get Witness? – Blog to Memoir
188. It’s All in Your Perspective – Just Writing!
189. Fly on the wall – MyBlog
190. Original-Dante – Morning Hue.
191. The Poetry Channel – Transience of Self
192. Naked Eye – life’s journey
193. vertical combustion – the stars are always watching
194. The Pink dress – Life at 17
195. The most beautiful Sunrise – mum’s going nuts
196. A Haiku – This Sub Rosa Life – Witnessing Hard Work
197. humble wordlings – maggy liu
198. Lost Property Repository – Are Your Parents Home?
199. Zombie Flamingos – That’s all I got…
200. My Children’s Public Meltdowns and the “Best sort of Mummy” – Adopting Star
201. My mind – Bloggers Paradise
202. prompt: witness – my body is of book leather and contains a painful religion
203. RAH’S MIRROR – The Checklist I’ve Been Searching For
204. Stop the Bus, Sing! – clunkyshoe
205. It was Obvious Yesterday – Justus Books
206. Witness This: Birthday Free Book Giveaway! – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
207. Now I Can See – Pete Gardner Psalms
208. Devil Doll Musings – Add It Up
209. Who is watching? NSFW – Asleep At The Wheel
210. Too Much Thigh – Part 2 – A mile in my shoes
211. Modern society – MeRoar
212. Ideas for Teaching Ag – Witness
213. WITNESS – My QuotesVilla
214. The End Of The World – psychedelicwizard
215. thelonerose – Witnessing Janet’s sense of humour
216. Trauma – indisputably inconclusive
217. Passion through Poetry – Another Day
218. Our Random View – Witness
219. Boring Bug – Self- Doubt
220. kristinakoti – Unknown Variable
221. The Wandering Poet – Witness to time passing by
222. Eulogy for an Abandoned Blog – Bits of Poems
223. I wrote a book. Now what? – That is disgusting