Hello there folkerinos.
Here I am, still plugging away at NaPoWriMo and seeing if there is any chance that I can catch up and get back on track.
The prompt for Day 10 was to challenge yourself to write something about simultaneity.
I think it is a big enough challenge pronouncing this word, let alone using it in a poem.
I mean, let me just……simulteenynoo….simultanooknittygritty…
simulacrum….(mmmm rum)….slimeandmintsbubble…..Simba! No!
(See what I mean? Words are hard!)
Never mind, let’s get cracking and see what happens!
Photo by geralt from Pixabay
“What Our Own Identity Should Be” by David Ellis
Layers upon layers
Constants and variables
Cultures and communities
Breaking communication barriers
Histories now exist
In both the past and the future
Experiencing nostalgia and déjà vu
Time traditional no longer rational
Stepping outside oneself
Taking on a whole new essence rather than just appearance
Substance through taking risks and treating others as equals
Still want more? That’s OK, I got your back, fam! Have some more Day 10 entries from an enchanting and very talented poetic community 🙂
1. Wastepaper Basket – Forcing a square peg into a round hole
2. Ladyleemanila – I is for Inverted Refrain
3. Scrambled, Not Fried – Would-Be Multi-Tasker
4. THOUGHTS OF WORDS – Mean(the)while…
5. grapeling – it could be that – against / 9
6. PAUL SCRIBBLES – 09:22 10/04/2018 101
7. Unassorted stories – Would you pray to me?
8. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Simultaneous: NaPoWriMo 2018, Day 10
9. ORDINARY AVERAGE THOUGHTS – The technical term for it is ‘piling on’ – National Poetry Writing Month 2018, Day 10
10. MY FEELINGS MY FREEDOM – NaPoWriMo Day 10: Resplendent Morning
11. My Author-itis – Nonstop
12. Jane Dougherty Writes – Ladybird
13. April’s Thirty – 10.
14. method two madness – Sunflowers
15. Tidbits by Shannon – mother’s game
16. What Rhymes with Stanza? – To be, or never was…
17. barbaraturneywielandpoetess – Sliding Doors and Posies
18. JIM’S LITTLE PHOTO AND POEM PLACE – NaPoWriMo 2018-10 — Day 10, a Bad Pony Poem
19. Flutterby’s NaPoWriMo – 2018 DAY 10 – TANGENTIAL
20. 1st Non-Manuscript – Charlene Delfin’s second blog – Day 10: 6 Years Since We Met
21. RIVRVLOGR – Truckin’
22. KATIE STATEN – NaPoWriMo #10 – Cameras
23. palimpsestic possibilities – morning muriel, mother, et al.
24. Ileea (Swedish but Google Translate is your friend) – Aprillyrik dag 10 – Ännu ett glas
25. The Great Unknown – NaProWriMo Day 10: Market District, Japan, 1945
26. MUOLLO – More than a name. – We Make An Art Out of Fooling Ourselves
27. Poetic Pixels – So Many Working Retail
28. WHAT LIFE SAID TO ME – NaPoWriMo 2018: Day 10- New Mornings, Beautiful Minds, Interfering Mobiles (Multiple things are happening at once)
29. inktuition – a poem for cute wise monkeys
30. Zouxzoux – River of Music
31. HOSKING’S BLOG – Caffeine Fuels Day
32. S.T Marie – NaPoWriMo – Poem #10
33. MY OWN GARDEN OF VERSE – MEIN GARTEN DER GEDICHTE – NAPOWRIMO 10: HOUR GLASS
34. Yesterday and today: Merril’s historical musings – Questions for a Traveler, NaPoWriMo, Day 10
35. EAT ALL THE WORDS – these are my explosive action scenes
36. Experience Writing – I is for Ignivomous
37. Gloria D. Gonsalves – NA/GLOPOWRIMO DAY 10: THE DAY IS MUSIC OF NIGHT
38. erbiage – At the end of the Raritan Valley Line
39. Voiceless Fricative – While I Wait
40. Poetry by Hasen – One Cold Evening
41. Rhyme and Reason – Poetry Meets Film Reviews – The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)
42. Summer Blues – A Poetry Blog – In the News
43. Closed Captioned For The Thinking Impaired – Santana (NaPoWriMo Day 10)
44. kavyastream – The Cove
45. Frank J. Tassone – HAIKAI POETRY MATTERS – My New York: A City Love Affair
46. ORIENTATION::QUILTER – Day Ten, NaPoWriMo
47. Orangepeel – Poetry and Miscellany by Bruce Niedt – PAD Day 10: Darkness and Light – Simultaneity
48. QUEST FOR WHIRLED PEAS – NAPOWRIMO 2018 – DAY 10
49. Purple Mountain Poetry – DAY 10: A BOOK SPINE POEM
50. CLAIREVETICA – JACK’S INSIDE
51. words in your eyes – NaPoWriMo 10 – Nothing Happened
52. Real Momma Ramblings – I Just Need a Moment…or Two
53. SOUL STRUCTURED LINES – NAPOWRIMO CATCH UP FOR DAY 10: NIGHT LIFE
54. Author Emily Ramser – Monday Afternoons
6 thoughts on “NaPoWriMo / GloPoWriMo 2018 – Day 10 – “What Our Own Identity Should Be” by David Ellis”
Words are very hard indeed.
Yet, at least in writing, you have mastered them. 👌👍
I can’t tell if this month is getting harder or easier as it goes on but I’m sure I will relish the challenge and be sad once it is over. TY for the support Matt my good friend 🙂
No worries. I suppose the ease is determined as much by inspiration as it is by the prompts you choose to follow.
Yeah, in the past I have looked elsewhere for inspiration if I am stuck. Usually the prompts themselves need to be combined with something else, like another theme or reason for the story itself. However, I’ve been too tired this month to resist a lot of them though, which tends to give me focus and the desire to come up with a solution. I think the most inspiring prompts are the ones that give me some kind of direction but allow me some freedom of expressions. They are some pretty vague ones that don’t help much and I guess when that happens you have to reach deep within yourself or go on a prompt shopping spree and see what ends up in your basket to play with on the day in question.
There’s something special about this one David! Can explain what, but I love it. I gives me space to think, maybe that’s it. I think it does exactly what you describe about prompts you like.
TY very much Angela. I think there is a lot of push and pull with this poem, the idea of how there are many different layers of understanding and interpretations of our own selves and each other, butting heads with establishing are own individual identities in this world, which leans towards the prompt in terms of simultaneity 🙂