Daily Prompt – Far From Normal
by Michelle W. on February 18, 2013
“Many of us think of our lives as boringly normal, while others live the high life. Take a step back, and take a look at your life as an outsider might. Now, tell us at least six unique, exciting, or just plain odd things about yourself.”
Only six???! You’re killing me!
Actually six unusual, unique and/or interesting facts about me is quite a conundrum, in terms of coming up with stuff that you might actually want to read.
I hope you enjoy this little insight into the mind of me – if you don’t then I refer you to point 1 below – watch out, I know Kung Fu!
1. I have garnered several nicknames, the most prominent and long standing has been KungFuDave. My legendary prowess is so great that people believe I can actually do Kung Fu, when simply I used to watch a ton of Jackie Chan films! My brother took Wing Chun lessons and I was successfully able to block/parry some of his moves through ‘muscle memory’ (the brain is a muscle, so it still counts) simply by thinking “WWJCD” – No, not Jesus, Jackie Chan!)
I have always respected Jackie Chan’s philosophy that he was more into the physicality of a scene rather than the violence, he was all about the action/comedy and would only fight if he couldn’t escape. To me, I’ve always seen myself as a resourceful person when it comes to tackling problems, which to me means that he has successfully delivered the message that he set out to do. It’s not about taking down ten guys in a room but how you could outwit them with both brains and brawn. You know – like this:-
Incidentally my other monikers are:-
a). MC EllisD for music – pronounced Em C EllisD (although I once nearly burst into tears when a friend’s partner asked “What is Mac EllisD? Are you part of the Saver Menu at McDonald’s range or are you from Scotland?”) and;
b). Chili Dog, on account of my hankering for jalapenos.
2. Since I’ve spent an awful lot of time in the past watching Chinese cinema (Stephen Chow Sing Chi and Chow Yun Fat films were additional favourites to Chan), I’ve picked up some useful phrases in Cantonese including a smattering of swearwords, and other essential phrases including “Drop your gun!”, “Beat him up!”, “Give me the bill!” and “Run quick, Fatboy!”
3. I have a deep love of dogs (I adore cats and other pets too but I’ve developed a real kinship with dogs). I had a dog for the first time in my life with my ex-partner (she was a lovely Staffordshire Bull Terrier and really friendly…..no, not the ex-partner, the dog). Now that I am single, I’d love to have a dog more than anything in the world but I’ve got nowhere I could keep one. This often leads me into (almost) uncontrollable urges where I want to hug and cuddle every dog I see. Even the ugly ones.
4. As a (now published) writer with aims of being an author, I would still like to be a successful musician too, having recorded a couple of albums several years ago. My dreams of becoming a writer were realised quite quickly when I started applying myself, so I’d like to put my hands to other things. I would love to emulate one of my heroes (Mike Patton from Faith No More) and front multiple bands.
Spreading myself thinner than wallpaper paste doesn’t even begin to cover it but I have faith in myself that I’ll achieve all my goals in the end and if I don’t then you’re hardly going to care, are you?
Thanks for that, appreciate it.
5. I don’t watch television. I still watch TV seasons and films on Netflix but the creative freedom extended to me by not having television is phenomenal – without hours of (mindless) TV, you can truly conquer the world (I mean no disrespect to certain television but there is certainly an unhealthy amount of dross being pumped out to subdue the masses).
I’ll always remember what Bill Hicks once called TV – “Lucifer’s Dream Box.”
I wonder what Lucifer watches in his crib.
“Oh, some of those reality TV show contestants are so annoying, seriously, they can go to hel……no wait, hell no, not in my house!”
6. I have a voracious appetite for comedy, both watching/reading it and writing it, to me there is no greater thrill in life than to make people laugh. If I can make you laugh (OK, some of you……..OK,one of you……maybe) then I can be happy.
So laugh you monkeys or face my terrible ire!
Just let me put this cute little puppy dog down first.
To find out six unique, interesting and or unusual things about my fellow bloggers, try out some of the links below:-
1. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal … its all about me! | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
2. sechs, sei, sex, sé, seis, six unique/different/unusual things about me « Q the Adult
3. Far From Normal, Daily Prompt. | notyethere
4. Far from normal… | Sweet Somethings
5. How I Think Others Perceive Me | Recis Dempayos
6. Daily Post: Far From Normal | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
7. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | The Gozum Show
8. Sammy’s Moleskine
9. Not too far from normal « Spunky Wayfarer
10. Far From Normal « I solemnly swear i am upto no good!
11. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | Queenie
12. Normal? What’s that? | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
13. Daily Prompt: Far from Normal | Mind of Shoo
14. Far From Normal | بيسان
15. Far From Normal or not, or maybe yes… :} | Hope* the happy hugger
16. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « DiaryCube
17. Daily Prompt: Normal Means? Are we Far From Normal? | My Blog
18. I’m As Unique As The Next Guy | The Jittery Goat
19. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
20. Six Unique Things: Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « A YoungEmt’s Blog
21. 6 Things You Might Not Know About Me « alisa alering
22. Far From Normal – Living My Dream « alenaslife
23. (really) Far From Normal – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
24. Ab-Normal | Chasing The Bubble
25. Who’s to Say I’m Normal? | Misifusa’s Blog
26. Far From Normal | Drama Queen Under the Sun
27. Daily Prompt: Your Life is a Reality Show: Far From Normal « From the C-Sweet
28. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal? | The Dirty Dame
29. Six Mundane Observations About Moi | Stuphblog
30. Insight. | ayimas
31. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « cognitive reflection
32. Normalacy is Relative « A Short A Day
33. So Not Normal | ARay of Sunshine
34. Daily Prompt: Far from normal « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
35. Far from normal | The Nameless One
36. Far From Normal: Six Odd Things | A Sign Of Life
37. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | La chica de la burbuja
38. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal … its all about me! | A New Day in San Francisco
39. Created Unique | Clothed With Thunder
40. Far From Normal: A Scaredy Cat Who Speaks With A British Accent? | steph’s scribe
41. Daily Prompt: The Old Normal « One Starving Activist
42. Me. Me. MeMeMeMe. | Sorta Ginger: Ramblings of a Quasi-Redhead
43. What is normal? Daily Prompt response… | toastandgems
44. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « motherofnine9
45. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal, That’s Me! « Lines by Linda
46. Normal… | jaycee68
47. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « ღ Blank Doodles ღ
48. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | Basically Beyond Basic
49. Far From Normal « This Is My Corn
50. An underachieving, neurotic hippie (with hostile feelings towards feminism), who makes yummy food and couldn’t pass on a notepad to save her life. | The Unthemed Nook
51. No Such Thing | Yeahthtsme
52. Far From Normal -WordPress Daily Prompt | The Moments Of My Life
53. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal « hopeforheather
54. Daily Prompt: (Not so) far from normal. | Multifarious meanderings
55. Far from normal or far too normal? « My thought exactly…!
56. Far from Normal – Please Shut Up or Speak Up « melanielynngriffin
57. aprilb – soprano
58. What is this “normal” of which you speak? « Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
59. Daily Prompt: Far From Normal | Purple Whereabouts
60. Daily Prompt Post: Far from normal | The Dork Life