Daily Prompt – Mentor Me
by Michelle W. on February 17, 2013
Have you ever had a mentor? What was the greatest lesson you learned from him or her?
Thanks for the great idea, ozarkmountainhiker!
I’ve had several mentors in my professional life that have given me some really good support, coaching and advice. They gave me the ball and allowed me to run with it.
The greatest lesson that I’ve ever learned from mentors is that you take what you need and then make it your own. You make it your goal to strive to surpass their teachings with your own hard work and practice to make them proud that they have encouraged you to be the person you are today.
But you don’t want to hear about this because it’s no fun and my mentors are probably not going to read this anyway.
So once again, I’m doing something else.
What I’ve learned from Famous Mentors In Life
Let’s analyse what I have learned from some of the most famous people whose wisdom and advice I regard as life mentorship:-
1. John F Kennedy.
“Forgive your enemies but never forget their names.”
Damn straight John! The only difficulty I’ve found with this is asking for the name of my nemesis when he jumps in front of me at the pub, chip shop or taxi rank.
That’s why I speak softly now and carry a big stick – you should see how full my address book is now!
2. Winston Churchill.
“Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others.”
I think the working ones in the office are the longest since they are the most boring but thankfully alcohol and/or sweets are your friends. I see my friends often 🙂
“A picture is worth a thousand words.”
A pity that my drawings are so bad they don’t look any better from outer space *sigh* Pass the wine, I’ll see you in a thousand words time.
4. St Francis of Assisi.
“For it is in giving that we receive.”
To which I reply:- “Yay! Presents! Gimme!”
Of course the joy is in the giving, particularly if you are giving crap to people you don’t like.
“I bought you this sweater, trust me it will look great on you, pink and orange with blue spots is very puke…I mean you. Now, what have you got me – cash I hope!”
“An honest man is always a child.”
Hey Socrates, honestly it looks like you were right on the money there pal – it’s the part I was born to play baby!
6. Abraham Lincoln.
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”
And how many people you p*ss off.
I’m proud to say right now that in that respect I’m winning.
7. George Washington.
“Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.”
I cannot be bought for love nor money.
What I can be bought for is money in exchange for the love of a Krispy Kreme Dreamcake donut.
I think honesty is important in any relationship and it is imperative to establish what a person’s minimum bribe level is.
I like to think I have some integrity – you can’t just buy me off with a plain Krispy Kreme donut with no juicy filling – what kind of man do you think I am!
8. Groucho Marx.
“I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.”
Television – yes. Netflix however…….to quote McBain from The Simpsons:-
Captain:- “In this town McBain, we go by the book!”
McBain (pulling out gun and blowing a big hole in it):- “Bye Book!”
And finally another sterling piece of advice from JFK:-
“The greater our knowledge increases the more our ignorance unfolds.”
Ah yes, I get you, I understand completely. The smarter I get, the stupider I am…..Wait, what?
For more posts about the Mentor Me subject, why not try some of the links below:-
1. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | Only the Best | Loading…
2. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | Musical Foodie Love
3. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me Birdie, Poetry to ee « Lines by Linda
4. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me « JUkk
5. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me « A YoungEmt’s Blog
6. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | cdvisions inspirations
7. Mentor Me | The Nameless One
8. Mr. Bales, Me, and The Sixth Grade | The Jittery Goat
9. Daily Post: Mentor Me | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
10. From the impossible | Phelio a Random Post a Day
11. Enlighten, Guide and Motivate | Misifusa’s Blog
12. My guide… | Hope* the happy hugger
13. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
14. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me – Vinay Sir | My.Vivid.Visions
15. Daily Prompt: Lead, and I Follow « One Starving Activist
16. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
17. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me « Talker Huge
18. No Ordinary Teacher | Through the Peacock’s Eyes
20. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | Basically Beyond Basic
21. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me – waldina
22. The nominees are: drum roll please… « theseeker
23. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | A Journey to a Healthier Living
24. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | بيسان
25. There’s always someone who knows more!! | Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
26. Daily Prompt: Mmmm, Mento’s | Sammy’s Moleskine
27. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me …to listen, to be positive … | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
28. Daily Prompt: You Mentor; Me Protege « From the C-Sweet
29. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me – In Honor of My Mentor « Cytherean Dreams
30. Can you have the opposite of a mentor? « Being Special
31. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me « A Western Buddhist’s Travels
32. My Mentor | A Sign Of Life
33. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | The Blogging Path
34. Remembering Rusty | Wiley’s Wisdom
35. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me, or Lack Thereof | The Wondering College Student
36. Imagine Having a Mentor « Now Writing Every Day
37. The Smartest Man I Know – 19 Days | fromrigstoriches
38. A rule to live by | Angel Frouk
40. Daily Prompt: Mentor Me | Learning, Running, and Writing
41. Mentors: The Freshmaker – A Daily Prompt Post | Edward Hotspur
42. Mentor Me | Drama Queen Under the Sun
5 thoughts on “Daily Prompt – Mentor Me – What I’ve Learned From Famous Mentors in Life”
I’m afraid I’m less of a man — er, woman — er, you get my point — than you; I *can* be bought off for a Krispy Kreme Doughnut.
And I am not ashamed of that fact.
Great post, and good quotes! (:
Thank you – glad you liked the post Erica and that you can also be bought off with a Krispy Kreme treat – they certainly unlock a lot of doors with people, they should rename them “Ambassadonutors”!
Haha I second that motion!
I enjoyed reading this 🙂
Thank you – your custom is always welcome!