Hello again everyone.
This is becoming very habit forming for me.
I’ve been inspired to write another piece thanks to The Reverie Journal (cheers ladies!), this time based on a musical prompt from The Kongos.
You can find the prompt over here and if you have time to submit your own poem before the deadline of this Friday 31st October (midnight EST) then I would encourage you do so!
The Reverie Journal – The Kongos Musical Prompt
And now on with the show – hope you enjoy it folks!
“Making It Out Alive” by David Ellis
Afraid to lose control of this volatile world
Everything feels fake when it should feel real
It’s like someone has broken the handle off
Finding myself washed up on the shores of hell
Wasting my breath, paying good lip service
Thinking with my heart instead of my head
People say if it’s easy, it’s just not worth pursuing
This gloriously, gorgeously confounding thing called love
An ending is still a brand new beginning
Death gives birth to alternative paths
If we embrace light over the accursed darkness
Things might turn out differently at last
Sometimes we struggle
To maintain our own unique edge
We let it get swallowed
Time and again, ad infinitum
Turning our backs on our own strengths
Losing the thread of who we truly are
Don’t deny your dreams and your sense of purpose
Let them rise to the surface without delay
Adoration and passion
Should fill everything that you do
Fear should never come into play
Lions we roar, with each shout it becomes clear
Pushing ourselves to the core of our limits
We’re not going down without a fight
We’ll find our way back, make no mistake
Letting love colour our ravenous hearts
No matter how complicated it gets
We’ll make it out of this thing alive
I need to lose myself in you tonight
Still with me? Since this was made using an epic musical prompt, how about a musical based question – do movies, songs, or other forms of artistic expression easily make you cry?
Check out the links below from my fellow bloggers to see what moves them to tears in the realms of the entertainment world:-
1. From Balderdash To Epiphany. – Morning Mourning
2. gut honest faith – Teeth jerking
3. Vexing Point – Moved to Tears – Really?
4. Really Just Words – Ashq – The Tear that never left the eye
5. Words With A View – Movie Magic
6. Epenthesis – Moved to tears
7. Pippakin Talks Cats, Dogs, Teeth and Claws
8. Bear Tales – Moved to tears …
9. Taking time, making time – Moved to Tears, Miss Saigon
10. crystal blue persuasion – moved to tears
11. psychologistmimi – I came across a dead bird today
12. Just Writing! – Homecoming
13. Ripples N Reflections – Set Fire to the Rain : Moved To Tears
14. Chapter Thirty Confessions – Moved to Tears
15. soul n spirit – ON THE VERGE OF TEARS
16. The Undaunted Blue Madness Of My Life – TEARS? NOT FOR ME!
17. My Daily Minefield – Driven to Tears
18. tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice – Moved to Tears
19. James Clegg – Moved to Tears
20. Minding My P’s With Q – Prompt & Praise – Sisters singing “It is Well”
21. Moved to Tears – The Daily Post
22. Kosher Adobo – Why I Didn’t Walk Down the Aisle to Pachelbel’s Canon in D
23. gillybirds – Kissing You, a song that makes me cry
24. The sound of summer – Moved to Tears
25. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Sob Mob
26. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Beauty and the beast
27. Perspectives on life, universe and everything – Rest without peace
28. A lot from Lydia – Insentient
29. adjustingyourfocus – Let’s Go Bawling
30. Agility|Leadership|Wisdom|Sharing|Learning – Movies that Moved me
31. A Girl In Solitude – Daily Prompt – Glistening Tears
32. I’m a Writer, Yes I Am – “Consider that a Divorce”
33. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Moved to tears – don’t cry for me WordPress
34. Beth Byrnes – Crying me a Rivers
35. All Things Cute and Beautiful – Being Tearful!
36. A Squeeze of Bliss – “The Fault in Our Stars”
37. For what its worth – Tears for Jack.
38. SERENDIPITY – LACRYMOSE
39. Daily Prompt – Everything Makes Me Cry
40. ROUND THE WORD – Not a Cry-Baby
41. Tidlidim – Daily Prompt – Moved to Tears
42. My Simple Life – Sharing the Saddness
43. She’s Rambling – Now I am going to think about this all day
44. theveryspecialblog – The Very Special Blog Makes Me Cry
45. She’s Rambling – To Move Someone to Tears
46. Emily Anton – OUT pouring
47. MillyMollyMandy – So long partner…
48. At my table – A Veil of Tears
49. Life is great – Lacrimosa
50. Lost made me cry – Vintage 1956
51. Flowers and Breezes – Memories Rush Back
52. Daily Prompt – Fly, You Fools
53. THE PRIME DIARY – Moved to Tears – The Art That Touches
54. Destino – Crybaby: Daily Post
55. california tennessee – Heart of Stone
56. joatmon14 – Just Something in my Eye
57. Ryan Erickson – Bringing myself to tears via Harriet the Spy?
58. Prairie Views – Weeping At The Farm
59. Geek Ergo Sum – Moved to Tears
60. New Chapter – Art vs. Humanity
61. airship wreck – When I Need to Cry, I Watch Horror
62. Random Acts of Snark – Moved To Tears
63. The Reluctant Baptist – Cry, Cry, Cry
64. Morrighan’s Muse – You Are Perfect
65. KindlingWord – Something to Cry About
66. Moments Thru Lens – Ek Rishta Aisa Bhi… introduced me to my emotional side
67. | waywordness – | Daily Post
68. Janey Does Blogging – Moved to tears
69. icecandy – Daily soaps and Indian viewers
70. kenyindian – I am a cry baby!
71. writingindevizes – Galactic loss
72. my dearest cassandra – Why I am Moved to Tears
73. Wax’s World – Goodbye, Papang! ‘Til We Meet Again…
74. Willow’s Corner – Cry me a river
75. life as sirli – Chasing Mavericks
76. ‘Transparent’ Debuts on Amazon, Explores Later In Life Transitioning
77. Thoughts from the Front – I got something in my eye…
78. Steps Times Two – You Are My Sunshine
79. smellslikestrawberries – Moved to tears
80. Beyond the Brush – Art, Movies, Songs … whatever
81. Emotional Fitness – How to Endure the Unendurable
82. MyEatPrayRVing Life – Moved to Tears or cry baby, cry
83. All Those Small Things – One Of Those Nights
84. Expressions – From where I see it
85. eastelmhurst.a.go.go – you’re old enough to know better so cry baby cry
86. The Gad About Town – For Crying Out Loud
87. I Am Woman – RAICILLA
88. Spade Thoughts – 05.09.14 – Crying is an Art
89. From Hiding to Blogging – One-Hearted (ç›¸æ€)
90. Wendy’s Window to the World – Singing through my tears
91. Writing on the Spot – The Journey of Art
92. Overcoming Bloglessness – Fighting Falcons
93. Siena Writes Things – Moved to Tears
94. My Dreams, everything I wish, and my gratitude… – Moved to Tears
95. MULIEBRAL VIEWPOINT – IT MOVED ME TO TEARS
96. Saya..D Poet… – Freeflow…
97. vic briggs – The Serpent’s Kiss
98. Laura Gabrielle Feasey – Monday Muse. The Following Takes Place Between 6:00 P.M and 7.00 P.M
99. Encounter – The crybaby in me
100. Mary Fran – the human touch
101. The Daily Prompt – Moved to Tears
102. A Nameless Space – Moved to Tears
103. Nola Roots, Texas Heart – DAILY PROMPT: Moved to Tears
105. Rubber Tyres –> Smooth Rides – Moved to Tears: Sad Movies
106. Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG – Emotional music to touch the soul
107. bianca . paige . smith – I cry for everything. It’s that simple.
108. robinbirdx – A bit of a crier
109. Ginger Musings – Tear Tracks
110. Sia Positive – Tears of Happiness
111. Emotional Fitness – How to Win Life’s Lottery
112. OSuzyQuilts, Free-motion Quilting and Meanderings – Tearful Moments
113. Lori’s Life and Other Stuff – Moved to Tears
114. debooWORKS – The Fault In Our Stars
115. Shooting Star – Moved to Tears
116. adorablyobnoxious – Daily Prompt – So Emotion. Very Cry.
117. Musings of a Soul Eclectic – Tear-jerker
119. lucile de godoy, on life – Missing
17 thoughts on “Poem / Poetry – “Making It Out Alive””
Awesome as usual… and I must admit, that although I am not much of a crier, my own love songs can sometimes move me deeply.
You’re awesome as usual! I must admit too that your songs made me cry until I turned the volume off and threw my laptop down a deep well. I am kidding of course, My favourite of your is “Walls of Stone”. I dig groovy cats that embrace a variety of creative outlets, it is very refreshing to not limit yourself to one media type.
I spread myself a little thin… but thanks.
Thank you for your visit, and for adding my story to your list, it’s very much appreciated.
You’re very welcome Wendy. Thank you for reading my poem 🙂
Wao…I love this. Thank you so much for all the stories and for visiting my blog. I really appreciated…
It is my pleasure Margret. Thank you for reading my poem too, very kind of you!
Wow! 119 ping backs! This should get you some good responses and several follows. A brother told me once that someone mocked him for crying about a movie, but he answered that he *wanted* and *needed* to cry once in a while to get the emotional buildup drained again. Huh? Oh, well, different strokes for different folks.
Hey there Beth – thank you for reading. I can relate to your brother, it is sometimes a relief to give yourself an emotional cleanse although I always feel like it really has to be something that deserves a good bawl about and thankfully there are not too many of those things around in my life at the moment to set me off 😉 It’s good to be in touch with your emotions, as it can feed poetry wonderfully and expunge any bad feelings that are floating around at the time (or more often than not celebrate the good ones). Have a great day.
Nicely done sir. A compelling post likewise. 🙂
Why thank you sir – cheers for reading and commenting 🙂
Thank you 🙂
Pingback: Come Vote with Me | The Reverie
“An ending is still a brand new beginning
Death gives birth to alternative paths”
Loved these lines. All of it, well done.
Thank you so much Laura – I appreciate your comments, they are my favourite lines too 🙂
Pingback: Making it Out Alive by David Ellis | The Reverie
Pingback: All the Awards | Cupid or Cats