Well hello there dear friends.
It’s another week where I’ve risen to the challenge set out by The Reverie Journal. Every Monday they provide a new poetry prompt, so if you fancy writing some poetry and are looking for a theme to inspire you, why not head over there and go crazy!
Wordle Me This – A Poetic Prompt from The Reverie Journal
This week’s challenge was to use a series of 14 words. Usually it is quite a feat to incorporate all words in these exercises but I have decided to give you more bang for your buck because I am such a nice and generous chap.
For your personal viewing pleasure, I have poured blood, sweat and tears (not literally, that would be gross) into knocking up a left and right handed acrostic poem. The only liberty I have taken is with the words themselves, where I have been forced to pluralise in places but I’m sure you will forgive me for this when you get a chance to read it – hope you like it!
(Incidentally for posterity and macho posturing purposes, the words that were tasked to be used in this piece were basement, consolation, curtain, denial, expectations, jittering, mask, obituary, restless, shiver, sway, swollen, tumbling and whiskey).
Finally before we begin, if you fancy writing your own acrostic poem, why not have a go and link your blog post back to The Reverie Journal over here – they give you brief tips on constructing them too:-
Acrostic – Learning New Forms – The Reverie Journal
So without further ado – let’s unleash this beast!
(Wordle picture by The Reverie Journal)
“Left Logically Yet Rightly Creative” by David Ellis
Basements are where we find ourselves, if we want to retreat from an indifferent world
Consolation comes alongside an axe to grind, since everyday life expects us to experience and overcome lows
Curtains are certain to come down on individuals, if their unsavoury motives are summarily revealed
Denial of ideals means we can’t connect to those we care about to see how good we make them feel
Expectations are always too high, demands we foist upon us just to impress others are unreasonable
Jittering from one thing to the next leads to unnecessary stress, the effects are often irreversible
Masks cannot help but slip when there’s nothing for them to grip; they soon start feeling fake
Obituaries are read side by side a heavy heart, the death of any relationship ultimately has tolls to pay
Restless in our endeavours, we’re repeatedly trying to please too many bodies with meagre time, all at once
Shivers run up and down our spines, whether we create them out of either fear or excitement
Swaying to the music when it fizzles in our minds, a defence mechanism designed to slay boredom
Swollen eyes from staying up round the clock, striving to finish off things we passionately believe in
Tumbling in headfirst isn’t the best strategy, unless you enjoy being hurt right from the start
Whiskey provides us a fiery kick but if you don’t like it then any alcohol or sugar rush will work
Meanwhile, on the other hand and flipside of this yin and yang coin
There are tons of cool things down here, silence allows us to focus consciousness in the Basement
Is it such a bad thing if we encounter lows? There wouldn’t be highs otherwise if it’s any Consolation
Trust is in short supply, it pays to keep our minds open wide, we must draw open the Curtains
Lauding ideals as pinnacles of evolution is what we strive for, no more living in the shadow of Denial
Playing to our strengths has consequence of giving everything our best, so we can raise Expectations
Questions we must ask, why are we are we so restless, then fix at the source to avoid Jittering
Hiding in obscurity just to please someone else? If we maintain our true identities, no need for any Masks
Relationships can die but teach us how to live and love stronger than before, new beginnings not Obituaries
A perfectionist is fine but you can’t please everyone all of the time, so be calm and less Restless
Abandon fears and instead, deliver pleasure to your lover, spine tingling affection creating Shivers
Music is soul nourishment, breathing in every note and word, mountains moved, opinions are now Swaying
Cheeks should be engorged from copious smiling and laughing, whereas egos should never ever be Swollen
Pride usually arrives before a fall but we don’t tend to learn anything, unless at first we’re Tumbling
Everybody has a shot at a happy life, true love and laughter, so in honour, let’s raise a toast with a glass of Whiskey
In the end, maybe we all just want the same thing
If we help each other, there’s nothing we can’t accomplish
Want to read other acrostic poems written by me? How sweet – let me oblige, go ahead and follow these links below:-
“Abstract Alliterative Acrostalyptica”
“The Tenderness Of Words (aka Acrostalyptica Part 3)”
Still not enough for you? How about some blog posts from my friends containing stories and poetry that have also been prompted by a series of words? Check out the links below for even more fun:-
1. The Wandering Poet – A dream..
2. Perspectives on Life, the Universe and Everything – Chase
3. Perspectives on Life, the Universe and Everything – Satan is dead – Andra Gada Loor – bow to the new Lord of hell
4. From Balderdash To Epiphany. – Car Phoned
5. Thoughts of a crooked mind. – The Abduction.
6. The Undaunted Blue Madness Of My Life – THIS SILENCE…
7. psychologistmimi – And then there were five: Through the push of the deafening howling winds
8. Awake & Dreaming – Trio No: 4
9. A ma vie de coer entier – A crisp morning in St Malo
10. Passion through Poetry – Speeding Life
11. Just Writing! – Poetic Justice
13. Jojo Joy’s corner – I got me a new fresh Rythm for my Soul!
14. ParkInkSpot – From the family archives
15. Avalon – Thank You And Good-Bye – A Flash Fiction
16. Designer Sophisticate – Wanna read a crappy limerick?
17. soul n spirit – Trio no.4: Patrick Calling
18. Blogging Mysteriously – Meetings, cab, accident.
19. CRAZY ART – Turbo SAAB
20. soul n spirit – An Unlikely Explanation: Black & White
21. My Moleskine Margin Notes – It’s that morning, that one.
22. My Simple Life – What am I, invisible?
23. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Random
24. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Trio No 4 – Dark Forces at Work
25. Keyboard Pizza – Flash Fiction – The Job
26. Science in Politics – Turn Any Red Light into a Green Light
27. River of Life Flows – Trio no. 4
28. All About Being Human – Mom’s Birthday
29. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Frozen
30. What The Frax – The Days Were Dark Ever Since.
31. Kelly Shaw’s Notebook: Prose writing about my new life on the Mendocino coast, California, and a place to show my Creative Writing Projects. – The Cell Phone
32. Random Brain Musings – I Think That Was A Cat!!!
33. They, You and Me – Heaven.
34. Jen R Cabaluna – Trio No. 4
35. Blogging Pittsburgh Opera
36. Ripples N Reflections – Blast from the Past
37. Prairie Views – Stores, Chicken and the Weather
38. Transitions – Solitude (Trio no. 4 Daily Prompt Reply)
39. LÃ¶wland – Verbotene Liebe/Forbidden love
40. Life is great – Traffic
41. SERENDIPITY – SO FAR, SO GOOD
42. Pollyanna Press – How To Get To Fiji
43. When My Brain Farts – The Unexpected Visitor
44. Vexing Point – Trio no. 4
45. Flowers and Breezes – JK’s Boots
46. Vintage 1956 – Drive Carefully
47. Ryan’s Writing – It was supposed to be a nice, sunny, normal day
48. I’m a Writer, Yes I Am – Cuppa-Joe at the Cop Shop
49. Rose Glace’s Blog – Opening
50. Rose Glace’s Blog – Opening
51. Theodora Zheng: on WordPress – We Are Hanged For A Reason
52. Deer Radio Circus Custom – Trio no. 4
53. Emovere – It was my boss
54. You’re A Nut, Meg – Look At It This Way (Preferably My Way)
55. life as sirli – My day aka Silver lining
56. A Little Fluff – Trio No. 4
57. Phifi’s Umbrella – Orange is the New Cat
58. Carter Vail – Karma
59. All Things Cute and Beautiful – Being Unsuspecting!
60. My Decade Long Travels – Velvet Skies
61. stream of consciousness – TRIO NO. 4
62. MACBOFISBIL – Photo 101: Day 7 – Landmarks
63. Thoughts from the Front – The Missed Phone Call
64. Another Voice – Pay the Piper
65. Soundless Deep – Barista
66. Sincerely, Loewe – Part VII: Connor and the Accident
67. Me – Who am I? – Borrowed or Stolen?
68. INSPIRING MAX – Taking Control
69. freshpaula – Flight
70. The Gad About Town – Landing on a Rocky Rubber Duck
71. Quotidian Revisions – Causes and Results of the Accident
72. Same train different track – Trio – 4
73. helen meikle’s scribblefest – Daily prompt: I’m off
74. Alphabet Story – W is for Warning
75. Steps Times Two – Deceptively Beautiful Morning
76. Alaska’s Writings – The Haunted Road
77. MACBOFISBIL – Photo 101: Lonely, Lonely Leaf
78. dualdiagnosisparent – Road to nowhere…
79. eastelmhurst.a.go.go – uncle, cousin, ice cream
80. The Quirky Life of P – That bright, crispy morning…
81. Keigh Ahr – Commitments
82. Angela McCauley – The Glory of God in Creation
83. A lot from Lydia – Sleep Deprivation
84. Pepper Connection – Late for Game Day
85. Diamonds – A New Adventure
86. Art My Cat Makes – Knock Knock
87. Julie Powell – Graphic Artist – Bad Day!
88. journeylovengrowth – One Eventful Morning
89. PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS – Tragedy?!
90. verbalexplosion – Fiction from a prompt Part 1
91. Chasing Life and Finding Dreams – The Man No One Wants to See
92. Turn the Paige
93. by LRose – Crisp, Car, Morning, Phone, Speeding, Bright, Call
94. Basically Beyond Basic – Trip No. 4
95. Barbara Pyett – Please smile:
96. Taini’s Writings – A Bad Call- A #DailyPrompt Story
97. Keiko Mulligan – Early Rising Pedal Pusher – #footfetish
98. Test The Cards Promotion – Trio – Speeding Car, Phone Call And Morning
99. Rubber Tyres –> Smooth Rides – Trio no. 4: Deadly morning
100. Lord of the Sick – Daily Prompt – Trio no. 4
101. Gadarene Dream – Best. Luck. Ever.
102. Growing Happiness A Paradigm Shift – To Do Lists need to be Done.
103. RoJo1990 – Our last dawn together.
104. Jottings and Writings – Bad Signal
105. Random Acts of Snark – Trio no. 4
106. orples – [New Post] The Daily Post . Trio no. 4
107. The DNC Project – Life Lessons With JÃºlio CÃ©sar
108. waltbox – Dr. Littlejohn Gets Carried Away
109. The life of T – When we were safe…
110. Colder by the Lake – The Corvette Strategem
111. picturecities – Deadlines: A Character Sketch
112. verbalexplosion – Fiction from a prompt Part 2
113. tuckedintoacorner – idealized
114. From Balderdash To Epiphany. – A Sad Dark Poem
115. Fictions in Flashes – Pasta for the Dark Night (Daily Prompt)
116. The Wandering Poet – Where..
117. From One Crazy Life To Another – Thank you, Facebook. Sarcasm is amazing!
118. gut honest faith – Deep Freeze
119. Just Writing!
120. Passion through Poetry – Thursday Dark Night!
121. shame – Sanctimony
122. Thoughts of a crooked mind. – In the middle of the night.
123. The Wandering Poet – Words one may some day speak..
124. A Nameless Space – A Night Full of Dreams
125. Designer Sophisticate – Moonbeam Sunflower and the Chocolate Cake
126. Avalon – Broken
127. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – The darn Cat
128. The Reluctant Baptist – With No-Fault You Have No Say
129. River of Life Flows – Trio No. 3
130. Crappy Collection – Cold storage of shame
131. KindlingWord – The Last Resort
132. A Little Fluff – Trio No. 3
133. Summer’s Third Wind – Three’s A Company: Trio No 3
134. yi-ching lin photography – perfection
135. tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice – Trio No. 3
136. Vexing Point – Trio No. 3
137. Awake & Dreaming – Trio No. 3
138. Ripples N Reflections – TRIO
139. Hope* the happy hugger – My Witty Mom
140. Kat Webber – Trio No. 3
141. Treading Lightly in a Sea of Excess. – Ode to a condimentÂ
142. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Midnight Light
143. PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS – Listen to your body!
144. LiveOutLoudAndProud – Flipping OBSESSION!
145. Under the Monkey Tree – Three Things About Montana
146. SERENDIPITY – DARK AND STORMY NIGHT
147. Ivy Mosquito – Being Me
148. Ryan’s Writing – I cried…
149. sixty, single and surviving – The Noisy Fridge
150. People, Places, and Perspectives. – As Fleeting as Illumination from the Fridge
151. simplygiselle – Spooky Salem
152. Cancer Isn’t Pink – Three in a Row
153. Transitions – Being Fire Poem (Daily Prompt Reply)
154. Carter Vail – What!?! No cake!?!
155. A Day In The Life – Morning Kindness
156. She’s Rambling – Where are you?
157. A Dark Night |
158. All About Being Human – The It was a Dark and Stormy Night
159. Vintage 1956 – Revenge of the Smart Fridge
160. fusion is love – The Beautiful Barmaid
161. It’s a Wacky Life, But Lots of Fun – Grey Fur
162. LÃ¶wland – One-seven
163. soul n spirit – All In Good Faith
164. I’m a Writer, Yes I Am – First Night of the World
165. Not a Punk Rocker – What is “Normal”?
166. Alaska’s Writings – Night Tremors
167. What The Frax – Filipino Kid Problems
168. Musings of a Soul Eclectic – Midnight Raid
169. Vagarious Voyage – Solace
170. My Simple Life – A Crazy Night
171. Carlos Cunha – Portuguese Tupperware
172. Traversing Lines – Trio from One
173. Murder & missadventure – Hollow Well
174. picturecities – Times Square, New Years Eve, 1992
175. fahrenheit519 – Trio No. 3
176. To Wear A Rainbow – What a night!
177. d’zaya – Mystery
178. My Book Self – Trio No 3
179. WORLD YOUTH SUCCESS INSPIRER – I WEPT FOR JOY
180. Flowers and Breezes – One Day of my Life
181. Mojowritin’ – Twas a dark and stormy night
182. Keigh Ahr – In and Out
183. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Trio No. 3 – Fridge talk
184. L5GN – Teatime of the Night
185. itsyouandeverything – Trio No.3 – That Halloween
186. lifesdevotion – A Mothers Story
187. In diesen Augenblick – The Space Between
188. Mindful Digressions – Happy camper
189. Thoughts from the Front – Midnight Snack
190. bhalsop – Trio No. 3
191. R. Sativus – It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
192. Science in Politics – A Dark Night in Yemen
193. The Gad About Town – A Halloween Memory
194. this is my journey – Dream Retrieving
195. wtf Am I On About Now? – Lisa again?
196. Unfiltered Consciousness – Trio No. 3
197. Droplets of Life – Perfect Imperfection
198. The Wind Rose Blog – DAILY PROMPT
199. eastelmhurst.a.go.go – to deal with boredom
200. thepauser – Thursday Stretch: Joe’s Girl
201. Radio Circus – Trio No. 3
202. Steps Times Two – The Forgotten
203. Willow’s Corner – There are times…
204. Dodger Blue World – Trio #3 A Dark night, Ice Cream and Tears
205. My happiness is an allegory – Longing
206. Shoot the Messenger – Pre-Halloween Special: Ten Horror Movies That Will Change You Forever
207. Away with Words – Garlic Verbosity
208. Just Cycling Through… – Dark Night, Fridge and Fake Tears
209. And Now for Something Completely Different – Daily Prompt – Trio No. 3 – The Lament of the Failed Murderer
210. From Hiding to Blogging – Braking before Dawn
211. Wiley’s Wisdom – A Change of Scenery
212. Pepper Connection – Big things come in threes
213. Simplexvita – Trio Post
214. The Shaeri Journals – Midnight Snacks…
215. Zezee with Books – Is There Someone in My House?
216. U Be Cute – Nature
217. thepennedjournal – The Birthday
218. 1874: First Impressionist Exhibition – Le Gourmet (The Greedy Child)
219. Life..Love..Tears..Purpose.. – Trio No. 3
220. The Seventh Heaven – [Fiction] Midnight-Snack Mate
221. In The Moment – waiting in the night
222. Notes Tied On The Sagebrush – Trio No. 3 – Esmeralda the Good Witch and Candy Bar Pie
223. Gunslinger Poet – buffalo tears
224. A collection of all things amazing – Emotional – Dark and Cold in a Fridge
225. Jojo Joy’s corner – Devilish or Angelic are we truly closer to be ?
226. endeavour – Early Morning
227. The DNC Project – Black Cat Jack
228. Random Acts of Snark – Trio No. 3
229. OSuzyQuilts, Free-motion Quilting and Meanderings – Because . . . Mom’s not here to verify
230. Beauty is found everywhere.
231. Destino – Trio: Daily Post
232. Christine’s Collection – Oct 31st Newsing & Musing
233. Yve’s Corner – Cold of the night
234. A lot from Lydia – Hotels
235. Bloggerama24 – Trio no. 3 : A sad, sad night
236. Basically Beyond Basic – Trio No. 3
237. Opal Alexandria
238. thoughts and some happenings – Continuing my Habit
239. Test The Cards Promotion – Trio – Dark Night, Fridge And Tears
240. adorablyobnoxious – Daily Prompt – Trio No. 3
24 thoughts on “Acrostic Poem / Poetry – “Left Logically Yet Rightly Creative””
Hey, nobody uses words together whether they go together or not better than you… Ha
Except maybe for you 😉 Just started reading your first novel, I’m really looking forward to how it turns out
Yay, because I am editing number three
Don’t forget to write a review at the book patch
I will write one there and on Amazon
Yay… Thanks buddy!
Will do. Also don’t forget to vote over at http://www.thereveriejournal.com if you have not done so already. This poem is over there and since you liked it, I’d appreciate a vote 🙂
I am working on. The ipad again… The computer will jot connect with the internet. I will try.
You sound like. William. Shatner. Good luck, it is only there until midnight EST then voting closes. Front page, if you scroll down you will see a list of entries including mine. Thsnks buddy, appreciate it.
I hate the ipad for anything but games
Games improve everything
You are way ahead
Well done sir. The shifts and all. Also isn’t acrostic supposed to stand for some thing?
P.S Check out the poem that I made I turned 20 on Wednesday so I wrote a piece on my birthday cake. So check it out and tell me what you think.
Thank you Franz my main man 🙂
My acrostic stands for taking two distinct opinions based on which side you are looking at, so whilst the left hand side is how we react logically, the right hand side is looking at things more creatively, along with being more flexible and going along with the flow. I understand that the left brain/right brain theory has been debunked but I still like the nature of the concept of looking at things through the lenses of logic or creativity.
You are right in that typical acrostics have words/meanings that read down but I like to break the rules and build monster ones that follow patterns or other avenues to keep things interesting and fresh.
Happy Birthday for Wednesday! I will head over and take a gander at your poem soon.
Awesome well keep doing what your doing man. XD . And stay tuned and happy thanksgiving!
Pingback: A Wordy Vote #2 | The Reverie
I love your take on the acrostic and combining it with the prompt worked wonderfully for you. You’ve created something amazing.
Thank you Laura – these are so much fun to build, particularly when they are complicated – the restrictions on the structure can enhance your own creativity when building it!
I find myself wanting to retreat to the basement figuratively if not literally much of the time. ‘Tis a very mean world we live in.
Thank you so much for your visit to poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com and for your kind comment on Mo and Cie’s poem. It means more than you know!
Pingback: Left Logically Yet Right Creative by David Ellis | The Reverie
Like the Acrostic idea: will try this (if I remember) next!!
You really should – they are my favourite type of poem next to haikus! 🙂
https://shilyot.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/emotions-in-reverse/ not sure if it meets the form 😦