Hey there folks.
Welcome to another installment of the Author Interview Series.
Today I have a very talented and funny guy who I would like to introduce to you all, along with his madcap antics, writerly wisdom and anything else he cares to throw into the mix.
Please put your hands together for artist, author, musician and humorist Arthur Browne and buckle up for the ride because things are going to get a little strange. But in a good way.
Arthur, thank you for taking the time to grace us with your presence in this Author
Thank you for having me. I like being had 🙂
Let’s start with your Sci-Fi novels. You are up to three now for your series “The Otherwhere Chronicles”. Tell us what inspired you to write a Sci-Fi series and give us more details on all three of these novels. As I understand it, you have even taken the time to illustrate the characters too on your blog, in an effort to get us more familiar with them and the world that you take us into.
In order to explain what is happening in the three novels…and the fourth one, which I am now editing with a blog friend…it would literally take me as many words as there are in the novels.
I started with the idea that I would create a hero for the entire universe, and all the other universes too, who was completely unhero-like. So I picked me as the main character…not the me in this universe…a me in another of the universes.
But he is still mostly me, if you see what I mean, except that he goes from being a janitor in a Texas-style bar on an alien space station to being the hero in an absurd rescue mission to free hostages taken by space pirates…and then saving San Francisco from being atomized…and then running the biggest human/alien corporation in all history, and then he somehow ends up as the supreme commander of a combined allied defence fleet that has to stand up to a huge invasion from another dimension…all while not really being interested in being a hero.
He is middle-aged, lazy, sarcastic, irreverent, doesn’t take anything seriously, and just manages to muddle his way through, all while his every move is being live-fed to vid-screens all over the universe.
Like I said, he is me. And the funny thing is, that is how I wrote the books. I never thought more than one paragraph ahead… no planning at all…just like he does…and I would end up stuck somewhere with an alien assassin wearing tie-dye… or surrounded by human supremacists and human-hating aliens, and we would just figure a way out together…but not for a few days, sometimes.
You have also written Children’s Books & a detective novel (Double Service). How did you end up going down these particular routes off the back of crafting a Sci-Fi series? What are these particular stories about and are they serious in tone or full of your trademark humor?
Ummm…the way I have described the workings of my mind is by saying I have a head full of crack squirrels. Also, I am all art-side-of-the-brain. I honestly have no idea where my ideas come from. (Which is funny and sort of ironic, if you think about it). I just keep typing…and drawing…and whatever, to try to keep up with the flow. The murder mystery set in World War Two London is not silly at all. I wanted to try one serious book, and I am now working on another, and another children’s book too. The books for kids are very silly, and the artwork is awesome…I will try to get some of the pictures from them in here…but I am a computer moron. (Ed note – Arthur managed to do this, despite his protests at being a computer buffoon and I’ve included them throughout the interview).
For you what is the hardest thing about writing? And what do you feel is the easiest thing?
Writing is not hard for me, except for one thing…a long novel, or worse, a series, is like having a big bundle of strings a mile long, all tied in a neat knot at one end, which is where you start the book, and you give the other end of each string to a crack squirrel, and let them run into a mile-wide forest. Then, all you have to do is walk around the forest, find the other ends of each of the five thousand strings, and tie them all in a neat bundle. Simple, right? I mean, I can’t say an alien has 12 fingers in book one, and then change it to 14 in book four. I did a lot of character sketches…and I came up with a funny accent for each alien, so I could talk to them and get a feel for the real them…I like to live with my characters as I write. But spelling and grammar…those are hard…and I can’t market my stuff. I need an agent.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
Oooooh…Edgar Rice Burroughs…Robert E. Howard…Harry Turtledove does awesome alternate history…I mean, I am a voracious reader, I have a lot of them.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
It is all just in me. I used to tell stories to my friends in high school in this cave in a cemetery where we used to hang out. It is why I have a blog too.
Where do your ideas come from? Do you have a specific routine to help you to access/develop them?
I am nowhere near that orderly. I have no discipline. There are always five million ideas bouncing around in my head…and I paint and draw, I write music, play guitar and sing…I carve tikis, and am learning blacksmithing, and there’s the blog…
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I have the opposite problem. I can’t keep up with myself. I have drawers full of notes for idea that I haven’t gotten to yet.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Uh…see: all my answers above…what the hell is free time?
Tell us more about any of your further upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
I do, thanks so much for asking. I am doing another kid’s book. I am writing an adventure novel about princesses that I hope will steal that genre back from fairy tales and the freekin’ Disney Corporation…and…you know…stuff…
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Yes…don’t do it…run screaming…it is like pulling your own soul out of yourself… through your smallest orifice…Seriously, don’t force it. Don’t follow rules. Don’t rush. Don’t go for word count, or get hung up on schedules. Write what you want to, what you know. But most of all, the characters you make up have to be as real to you as anybody in your life…(which will piss those people off)…get to know them, talk to them, pretend they are with you while you are doing stuff. Wonder what they would do in different circumstances. Feel them.
And that’s a wrap – thank you for your time Arthur and for being a very entertaining guest, along with sharing all of your amazing characters 🙂
A.H. Browne was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area.
If you want to find out more about him or interact with him then he suggests moseying on over to his blog at Pouring My Art Out.
Or you can contact him on Twitter here:- Arthur Browne (Twitter)
You can buy all of Arthur’s books in paperback over at The Book Patch via the link below:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, Arthur is a funny guy and the jokes are never far him whenever he is around. For more blog posts on the theme of ‘Jokes’, check out the links from my fellow bloggers below:-
1. Travel Much? – An Irishman goes into a bar…
2. The Rules of Thoughts – jessicasblog45
3. Dialy Prompts August 2016 – My Garden Biodiversity
4. If Only, I Could Turn Back The Clock (part 5) – Uma’s life and thoughts
5. burntbreakfast – Day 16-27:My Complicated Muse
6. Light Motifs – I Was Only Joking!
7. Monsters by Kristen – Frog Monster likes swampy places
8. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – WORD JUMBLE
9. witchlike – Anne Boleyn Speaks
10. How to find a Husband! – The Constantly Puzzled Mind
11. Faith Unlocked – A Bear Walks into a Bar . . . . .
12. Le Drake Noir – Triple in the mountains
13. The Not So Funny Vegan Joke – London Vegan Bunny
14. Zelda Reville – Siesta
15. Lol your head off! – A Beginner’s Blogger Diary
16. “Joke” – Nomadic Adventurer
17. Bolognese’s Blog – Morning Coffee
18. Another Day – Making Sense of Complications
19. Aug 2016 Daily Prompts – My Garden Biodiversity
20. Daily Press One Word Prompt – Joke. – A Writer’s Life
21. tortoiseshelltotebag – Yes You!!
22. Cosmos dark humour – Oh, border!
23. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – I Ain’t No Joke
24. Southern By Design – A Laughing Matter
25. The Joke’s on…. – “Live Free & Love On Purpose!!”
26. A (slightly longer) word on joke – ioanaazoica
27. W4W: Some kind of joke – Word Shamble
28. To rock bottom? Or a floral bed? – maybeiamsure
29. When a hiker tries to be fun… – Bum Tales
30. Red Mountain Motel – Joke’s On Me Daily Prompt–Joke
31. Life is not a joke. – LIFE,LOVE &MUCH MORE
32. pray, eat, sleep, repeat – A Good “Discussion”
33. A Canoe, a Rowboat and a Helicopter – Whispers in the Wind
34. we search for memes-jokes (Dronexit#22) – a nerd’s confession: when-iam-68
35. Is it a joke? – manipurikeisham
36. Lost Property Repository – Jokes
37. Derelict Heart – Is This a Joke?
38. Blue Bell – No Joke – Believe Has Been Our Main Word This Year
39. Purposive Writer – Life Is Not A Joke
40. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Joke
41. I Hope You Were Joking – Martha’s Daily Writing
42. Head To Toe Beauty For You – Is it really funny?
43. Jokester – Mac’s World
44. The wonders – Painted in words
45. The Hidden Chalkboard (The HC) – No Time for Jokes
46. inspiration in progress – A Serious Joke
47. Narutomath96 – A nice joke
48. witchlike – Shakespeare’s Humor
49. I believe my 4 year old thinks I’m a joke – My Daly Bred
50. Joke No More – StrangeLander2015
51. Katy Trail Creations – Paper Bag
52. JOKES APART…. – breathingpark
53. Lemurian Light Oracle – Just Relax…What a Joke?
54. I Insist – A lot from Lydia
55. Laugh 🙂 – ideas and culture
56. Jibber Jabber with Sue – “Picture It: Sicily, 1922”
57. Joke – Odyssey In Atlantis
58. Make Fun of Yourself – Scribble With a Sparkle
59. If Only, I Could Turn Back The Clock … – Uma’s life and thoughts
60. Nikewrites Blog – Hell Hound
61. laughing flower – images of heaven
62. Jesus the Comic… – Eagle’s Wing Ministries
63. Caledon Acres – Welcoming the goats and Annie
64. Water of Rain – Ghosts in Amber
65. Fly Mom of Somewhere… – prettyflyforawhitemom
66. April’s Perspective – It Needs to be Said
67. artifiswords – WHAT A JOKE!
68. Love Story – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
69. Unserious – Ayoka
70. Laurel Grove loves… – Funny – but not ha-ha funny
71. Running Joke Signs – Sneakers on Pavement
72. Marvelous Musical MashUps – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
73. Daily Post Prompt: Joke – The Happy Wordcrafter
74. Joke – Mrs Reckless Writes
75. XingfuMama – Are you kidding?
76. Anchor – This is Nobody’s blog
77. theblackwallblog – Mount Holly, Vermont #1
78. Success Inspirers’ World – Don’t joke!
79. Can you let it go? Do you want to de-clutter your life? – Bee Organized with Pamela
80. recovery to wellness – Suicide and Mental Health Are NOT ‘Jokes’.
81. Mainline_Matter – Joke Classics
82. Eden of Knowledge – Baby joke
83. Joke : a sense of humour – Explore with Mafaza
84. theblackwallblog – I Was A Modern Woman
85. prompt: joke – polka dot purse
86. Jokesters – Vivid Dreamer
87. Shared Journey: The Joke’s on Me-My Stint at Hooters – Bienestar Miami
88. Barryjack’s Place – Laughter is the best medicine
89. Not Funny — Lamont and Dude Discuss Humor – Where’s the Windmill?
90. Are We – A Short Conversation
91. You’re Kidding, Right? – Onto My Next 40 Years
92. wordsareallihavesite – Joke
93. Motivational videos Brought to you by Theo Herbots // Motivatie- video U gebracht door Theo Herbots – Wie is Theo Herbots ? // Who is Theo Herbots?
94. Mullet or Die: I inspired Will Ferrell? – One Sojourner
95. Original-Dante – The Time I Almost Lost My Blog.
96. It started with a joke! – Vaishnavi
97. Writer Sanctuary – Is It OK To Add Humor When Writing a Client’s Piece?
98. Joke – Awordseeker
99. Online Diary Entry: New Contract Has Begun – Damien at the Speed of Life WP
100. Common Pursuit – Pleasantly Intrigued
101. So He Gave You A Ring – The Untold Want
102. Broma – apserranoblog
103. Writing Web – Daily Prompt for August 9, 2016
104. Indira’s Blog – Joke- The Daily Post
105. Saint P. Blogging – Joke: The Prompt for the Day
106. April’s Perspective – Funniest Joke Ever
107. Making it write – Three pigs
108. JOKES OF THE JOKER S’ LIFE – thepunkpenblog
109. Wide Eyed In Wonder
110. Two dyslexics walk into a bra…. – Dangerspouse
111. They, You and Me – no joke….
112. manvsloneliness – Day 39 Supplemental: The Man and the Joke
113. Life with Jess – I’m Going to Last
114. Insach – Not a joke.
115. My Reflection – From Sand to Gemstones
116. Joke – Covert Novelist
117. Joy of Jokes – rupalislale
118. thelonerose – Customer service
119. Eating weeds – zorazebic
120. Prompt for the Day: “Joke” – Saint P. Blogging
121. this is cruserbladezz – Funny joke
122. Congratulations to synchro diver Daniel Goodfellow and partner. – FINAL ENDS
123. Zombie Flamingos – Monday morning
124. Let’s Hear It for the Jesters – Views From Around the Corner
125. Joke – The new-ness
126. Think About It – You’re Joking, Right?
127. Flowers and Breezes – Joke
128. Charlie R. Claywell – Humor Is Always In The Eye Of The Beholder
129. Once Upon Your Prime – 10 Practical (Tactical!) Jokes To Play On Male Folks!
130. Writcrit – What a day it was!
131. Musings of a Random Mind – Look @ Her Picture! Then Ignore
132. No Joke…. – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
133. The BreakUp – cirque de la nuit
134. Why So Serious? – Wanderlust
135. Children’s humor – Geek Ergo Sum
136. 83 Unsung Heroes – Heard The One About The Unfunny Joke?
137. SERENDIPITY – DON’T YOU HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS?
138. Michael J. Fite – What Is The Value Of A Joke In Your Life?
139. eclations – The Owl and the Pussycat
140. Le Happyone – Can we now please treat mental illness seriously?
141. SERENDIPITY – Evil Squirrel’s Nest Comic #221 – FROM 7/21/16
142. sparksfromacombustiblemind – JOKE
143. MY ENDURING BONES – Dirty
144. The Six Foot Jew – Say My Name In Jewish
145. Sketch of U.S. Economy in 2016 – The Mono-Economy of the New Millennium
146. Just Joking… – The Mistful Mind
147. Sandmanjazz – Tears of a Clown
148. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Out-joked
149. Dear NBC . . . – Ellies Little Adventure
150. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: A Feline Joke
151. Laughter Heals and Closed Comments – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
152. Joke – Caillen James –Author
153. B_ up to date – The joke was on me
154. The Jokes on Me! – Food, Wine & Spirit Guru
155. Lakeland Musings by Irwin – Better Write it Down
156. Joke – Tuba
157. Hide Them – A Short Conversation
158. How To Exist – A Short Conversation
159. Do Not Annoy The Writer – Visual Jokes
160. Practical Things – A Short Conversation
161. kStan(ly) kSays – negative space
162. Kimberlee K. – A Literally Sick Rap Song (feat. Tupac & Dr. Dre)
163. sixty, single and surviving – A Little Levity, Please.
164. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Tell me a joke
165. I Have Pretty Strong Convictions, I Guess – Punchline
166. Science Traveler – Did Nikola Tesla Play a Practical Joke on Mark Twain’s Birthday?
167. The happy Quitter! – Are these prompts a joke?
168. JOKE – My QuotesVilla
169. rhymeagination – A BEAUTIFUL JOKE
170. Hot White Snow – The Joke
171. My Simple Blog – Snowmen
172. Sink or Swim – Bloggers Paradise
173. Tippy Toes – My Second Act, Scene One
174. Lost Property Repository – The Missing Joke
175. Joke II – Image & Word
176. My Kind Of Jokes – firelight
177. kStan(ly) kSays – he mumbled as he ran
178. Passion through Poetry – I Was Only Joking
179. La Tour Abolie – The Falling Upwards of Fish
180. The Ghost’s Joke – mySestina
181. School – indisputably inconclusive
182. kStan(ly) kSays – mistaken identity
183. Poem: Irony – andrewhalteromniblog
184. Pete Gardner Psalms
185. Take it off – writemebad
186. Frank Prem – naming the purchase
187. Opposite Poem – Bits of Poems
188. Why did the chicken cross the road? – PsychPerspectives
189. Passion through Poetry – Hahaha!!
190. Frank Prem – butcher’s paper
191. Did you hear the one about the pickled prick? – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
192. the15thday – considering the weekend just gone…
193. My Favourite Joke – wanderlustandcoffeelover
194. Jeanne Robertson – Just Writing!
195. Devil Doll Musings – A Joke, yes really!
196. Life – It’s A Joke, It’s All A Joke – themanbehindtheglass
197. Frank Prem – duck chocolate and tapas
198. Joke – Image & Word
199. Ghost in a Bar – Postcard from a Pigeon
200. Glorious! voice coaching – The other poems of Spike Milligan
201. Halfway True – life’s journey
202. Standup – indisputably inconclusive
203. Three men walk into a bar… – yasminmay
204. alexjwise – Joke
205. Response to Daily Prompt- Joke – greyandgreyer
206. Frank Prem – telephone dumplings
207. Growing Toward the Sun – The Time I Thought They Forgot My Birthday
208. The Wandering Poet – DP Prompt ~ It’s all fun and games for these rascals!
209. Designer Sophisticate – I’d never make a very good comedian.
210. Hot White Snow – Executing One Final Joke
211. Unmotivated Enthusiast – The power of naps
212. new2writing – Go on lad!
213. Lantern Words – Not A Joke