Hello everyone and welcome to the start of the weekend.
Today I have been lucky enough to chat with steamy Romance & Erotica author K.C. Rice and she shares more about the passion in her books, her passion for the written word and how she writes her intriguing tales.
Time to shake a little bit of spice into your life 🙂
Hi there Kathy, thank you for being here today to talk about your creative processes and what drives you as a writer.
Let’s start with your “Tattered Series” books. I see you just released Book 2 in the series in May 2016. Can you fill us in on the nature of your series, the genre(s) that it spans and what we have to look forward to if we dive into it?
Sure. The first book in Tattered Series, Kaycee’s Tattered Spirit, was created in a series of little thoughts. Soon Kaycee the main character was born and the little thoughts became full blown scenes. I began writing the story in March of 2015, had it finished and published the fall of 2015.
Tattered Series, is about a young woman who was abused and battered throughout her young life. Withdrawn and “tattered”, hence the name. She grows and meets a man who sees past her insecurities and faults and falls in love. It’s almost like a fairy tale. They marry and she begins to believe that perhaps her dreams can come true.
Soon after though, Shane her husband begins to change. He becomes verbally abusive, and once again the doubt creeps in and takes hold of her once more. Until one night when she meets a man on social media. They both love art and have a lot in common. Before long they are fast friends…One thing leads to another and soon Kaycee finds herself feeling things she’s never felt before. Sexual as well as inside. Mason teaches her so much about being free, making her feel important, desired and worthy. He makes her body feel and burn like nothing she has ever experienced. They fall in love…And she is torn. Leave the comforts of the only life she’s ever known or step out on faith into a world unknown and grow, giving her the chance to actually follow her dreams.
Reconciled, Book Two. Picks up where one stops. Kaycee is now living in New York City, working alongside a sexy Englishman named Alex Halaway. They are investigating a rash of art forgery that has appeared. It doesn’t take Alex long to see the unique beauty Kaycee holds inside as well as outside. He begins to flirt and express his interests. Guarded over past pain, Kaycee finally concedes and decides to give it a try. Mason realizes he has competition, and is none too happy as his Alpha male rears its territorial head. New characters are introduced, new friendships and loves bloom. There is abduction, mystery, intrigue, murder and of course hot sensual passion.
Revelation, Book Three, is in the works as we speak. This story will answer a lot of questions brought up in Book One and Two, as well as continue the story of Kaycee and Mason’s love. The readers will experience, running from crooked cops, hiding from a crazed ex-husband, dodge flying bullets and cross the ocean as they travel to Normandy France in search of answers. Once again hot sensual passion will burn as you turn the pages and follow along. As one beta reader exclaimed, “This Series is guaranteed to get your panties wet.” With that said, I suppose you can say this genre is a Romance/Erotica.
You have also written two other books – “Deadly Passion” & its sequel “Anguish – Wil’s Story”. I take it they don’t have any connection to the Tattered Series universe? What do these books entail, and are they similar in tone to your Tattered Series? What sort of story arc can we expect from them?
Deadly Passion – The very first book I wrote, it’s a Suspense/Romance. About a homicide detective, Sarah, investigating a serial killer. She unexpectedly gets a new partner, Wil. Not agreeing with the commander who assigned them together, determined she doesn’t need a man to help her solve the case. Kaycee fights the chemistry between the two, however failing miserably. She makes herself live bait to catch the killer. Wil is struggling with his own inner demons as the riff between them continues. Finally giving into their passion. Sarah finds herself in the crosshairs of the killer’s gun, can Wil reach them before it’s too late?
Anguish, Wil’s Story – Picks up where Deadly Passion left off. It explains the demons Wil has been fighting throughout out his past and the lengths he will go to help those in need. Regardless of his own safety and life, Wil travels to Afghanistan to rescue a brother in arms being held captive. While away many things happen and changes take place back home unbeknownst to him. As miracles do happen. Will he make it out alive?
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The most difficult thing about writing is the marketing aspect. As an Indie Author, I am responsible for everything. A marketing person, I am not.
The easiest part of writing, allowing my imagination roam unharnessed.
Who are some of the authors in general that inspire you?
Denise Grover Swank and TK Leigh.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Lots. Areas, climates, languages, personas, air crafts, yachts…you name it.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I have always had an over active imagination. Even as a child, I played by myself so it was easy to escape into stories I make up. As an adult that imagination is still very much a live and active. I went to an author event here in my home state a few years back. It was an awesome experience. My sister, Lori told me I should try my hand at it. One of the authors present agreed, saying, “What do you have to lose?” so I did. And I haven’t looked back yet.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I try not to let it get me down whenever I have a slump. I am also an Artist, so I can escape the real world in my studio with my canvas and paints. I think when we allow ourselves to get worried over our slumps, it make it worse and last longer.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I have two wonderful grandchildren who are my world. I try and spend as much time with them as I can.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
As you know I am working on book three of the series. I do not want to hold myself down to just one genre. I had a murder mystery floating around inside my head.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Never give up. Surround yourself with an awesome group of people who will support you and kick you in the ass when you need it. Editors are a MUST!! You do not have to spend a fortune on them, but you do need one that knows what he/she is doing. Have thick skin. When you get a negative review, do not take it personally, use it as a learning tool and room for growth.
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for participating Kathy and we look forward to checking out your books.
In Kathy’s own words – “I’m just a simple country girl – born and raised in Frankfort, Kentucky. I enjoy the simplest things in life; Family, walks, a cool summer breeze, brilliant colors of autumn, tranquil sounds of a waterfall, and laughter.
Raised in a very low income family, I drew strength from my overactive and creative imagination, drawing Disney characters and making up stories as I grew. It helped to entertain me as a child and helped me escape the troubles of growing up in poverty. And I never outgrew it. I decided to share my imagination and creativity with others.
Spending time in front of a blank canvas, is mt very first love. Allowing my paints and brush to tell the story. Using a photo as my guide, I always felt, believed and said, “if the photo doesn’t speak to me, it’s not meant to be painted, you can’t force these things.” I have sold many of my paintings, however, my greatest reward is the look on a recipients face when I give one as a gift.
I decided to start sharing my inner thoughts and imaginations in poems and shorts stories in 2014.
In August 2015, I published my very first novel.
My dream is to improve my writing, to share with more people, and to help to entertain those who read…to help each person to have a little escape from the real world, even if for a short time.
She is a Member of Erotic Author’s Guild.
You can connect with Kathy on the following Social Media channels:-
Facebook:- K.C. Rice – Author (FB)
Goodreads:- K. C. Rice (Goodreads Author)
Google Plus:- K.C. Rice – Author, Artist (GooglePlus)
LinkedIn:- K. C. Rice – Author (LinkedIn)
Pinterest:- K.C. Rice Author-Artist (Pinterest)
Twitter:- K. C. Rice (Twitter)
Website:- The Website of Author & Artist K. C. Rice
YouTube:- K. C. Rice – Artist, Author (YouTube)
You can buy all of her books here:-
Canada:- Buy K.C. Rice’s books in Canada
UK/Europe:- Buy K.C. Rice’s books in UK/Europe
US/Rest of the World:- Buy K.C. Rice’s books in US/Rest of the World
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, since Kathy’s novels in her Tattered Series are about Kaycee’s burning needs and desires, I therefore think that the WordPress Daily Prompt of ‘Burn’ seems appropriate. For more blog post articles on this particular theme then click on the links below:-
1. The Bridge – ideas and culture
2. kStan(ly) kSays – sticky notes – the sequel
3. Susan Millard : Things From Susan’s Perspective – Fire…but not the out of control kind.
4. Bolognese’s Blog – Hidden
5. Daily Post One Word Prompt – Burn – A Writer’s Life
6. Burn – “A SURREAL ODYSSEY”
7. Fireworks – Laura E. Brown Online
8. To be Born Again – mySestina
9. shame – Ugly mirror
10. Poem for July’s First 8 Days of Daily Prompt – Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored
11. One Word Photo Challenge: Burn – ladyleemanila
12. November 11th 2006 – Ms Skyfall
13. Positively Un-broken – Matches
14. The Irony. – mindtranquilityblog
15. Margret’s Life Journey! – Surprise, Surprise!
16. My Mixed Blog – Fried Pan
17. artifiswords – BURN
18. Selfless – Writing Beyond Ordinary
19. Fifth of July – Mac’s World
20. Frank Prem – crackers
21. Petrichor and Clouds – Across the Temple Hall
22. Common Pursuit – Olympic Torch
23. Bridging the islands – Ms Skyfall
24. The burning Holika – Only the good remains – lifebeckons
25. BURN – Celebrating ART
26. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – BURNIN” IT DOWN
27. Fluffy Pool – Alarm
28. “Burn” – A Pre-Published Indie Author
29. Joes-Fotowelten – Flammende Aussicht
30. THE FIRE INSIDE – ESCAPE INTO WORDS
31. Let me know how frail I am… – It Is Still Real
32. Mike Walsh – What The Mop Lady Saw… – Great Balls Of Fire
33. Why Positive Activism? – Tag Alsh
34. Forged in Flames – Dreamer’s Paradise
35. Burn – ateenagelovestory
36. Burn – Introverted n’ Proud
37. theblackwallblog – Fall in New England
38. Purposive Writer – Let Us Keep The Fire Burning
39. Burn – floatingstories
40. Burnt! – pins & ashes
41. A Burning Star – Blog of Hammad Rais
42. Cold Degrees – Fill and Feel
43. The Daily Post – Burn
44. CHARIZE SANTIAGO – Are you about to give up?
45. As I See Things – Stories from the Burning Hearth
46. Feel The Burn 😉 – Sundragonlady’s House of Burgesses
47. slash and burn – guavarilla
48. Daily Prompt – Burn – Come in, sit down
49. The burning room… – maybeiamsure
50. Daily Word Prompt: Burn – Emily’s Table of Contents
51. Pain: The Purifying Fire – Close to You
52. Writing Web – Daily Prompt – Burn
53. Blogging Fundamentals: Day Eleven – Hwan Kevin’s Practice Blog
54. Flood Friday – somerberry
55. Home for the Consumed. (A Poem) – stephentotheplate
56. Burnt Offering – StrangeLander2015
57. Love Endures Always – Sunburn
58. Burn – Inside The Writer’s Closet
59. Lourdes Mint’s Mid-Life Miracle – There is always “burn” here now.
60. Turn That Radio Up – Ready To Run
61. The Chow Train and a Flick – A lot from Lydia
62. Musings From St. Anthony’s Walnut Tree – Burn And Beat Back the Darkness
63. Miss Bones – Burn new life
64. Burn – stopbyandmuseforawhile
65. An Anniversary – Mac’s World
66. Sure Scribbles – Just a Spark.
67. Water or Oil, or let it Burn? – Uma’s life and thoughts
68. Why I Don’t Write Anymore – Nicole Martin
69. Frank Prem – when he burns
70. Serendipitousbloom.com – Happy Birthday USA
71. Poem: Free Verse (Quatrains) – “Slow Sweet Burn of Life” #amwriting #poetry – Mandibelle16
72. Burning Bridges – In a Perfectly Imperfect World
73. Writer Sanctuary – Paradise Consumed: Part 3
74. BURN – Ripples N Reflections
75. Burn It. – Nichelle Lei
76. Kill It With Fire – The Life of Jan – Daily Prompt 7/2/2016
77. Riley Central – The Damien Riley Podcast: S02 E02 – ‘Why I Have a Million Blogs?’
78. Le Drake Noir – Burned backdrop
79. another quiet muse – Burn… Rock Against Bone
80. Stop the burn – persuasion2015
81. Mainline_Matter – Sky Burning
82. coldhandswarmheartsblog – The Passion of Christ
83. Cold Burn – isawithoughtiwrote
84. radical slip of mind – Burn (Prompt)
85. Canterbury Convert – Faith’s Fire
86. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Slow Burn
87. How to Look American – ONE MORE SHOT PLEASE
88. Burning sky and a salesman – world4womencom
89. Before you self-host ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
90. Willow’s Corner – Not a real post today
91. Daily Prompt – Burn – Short Story – Brandon’s Rambling Writing
92. Selfless – Tiana Van Dyk
93. Flowers and Breezes – Burn
94. The Purple in a Violet – Burn
95. Feel The Burn – My Crazy Graced Life
96. Giggles & Tales – Burn – The Daily Prompt!
97. kindergartenknowledge.com – The Chile con Queso Incident.
98. Burn – wordsareallihavesite
99. Words with Wolfgang – Burnt down to ash
100. recovery to wellness – That device is on FIRE
101. Success Inspirer’s World – My ardent wish
102. Musings and My Two Cents – Keep it Burning!
103. Blessed Moments -n- Memories – Up in Flames
104. Forgive and Forget – firelight
105. Carmela Snelbaker – Increase Your Joy by Bringing Joy to Others
106. The Evolution of Fire. – Daniel Amatiello
107. Burn The Midnight Oil – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
108. kristinakoti – BLOODY MARY..!!
109. Daily Prompt – Catherine’s Blog – Burn Baby Burn
110. Burn – Image & Word
111. Samantha Linda – The Chronicles of the Day
112. Living Out Loud – BURN
113. Zombie Flamingos – Happy Canuck Jour!
114. wine and meaning – Burn
115. E. Denise Billups – Burn
116. What burns? – I Rhyme Without Reason
117. apserranoblog – Quemar
118. A Rain Dance To Stop The Burn – THE SKY’S THE LIMIT
119. smoldering. – lemonadeletter
120. Delicate Little Thang and Buffalo Gal – Burning Blue
121. Sun Burnt (a Product Review) – My Frugal Farmstead
122. Burn #The Daily Post One-word prompt – ramyavivekblog
123. Prompt for the Day: “Burn” – saintpblogging BlogJob site
124. Prompt for the Day: “Burn” – Saint P. Blogging
125. Ash – Journey of a Happy Girl
126. The Great Aberystwyth Fire – Geek Ergo Sum
127. charlesewaugh – Gas Ovens Can Be Dangerous
128. Yonder Shades of Vermilion – The One Scripturient
129. Long /Burn ~ Passionate Desires – Word Adventures
130. THE BURNING DESIRE. – thenoticeable
131. Living FreeLee – Freedom Week Special!
132. My Lantern. – 1withthepen
133. Feel the Burn – I don’t think I’m looking for too much in a man
134. Paws – dogsviewoftheworld.com
135. Sandmanjazz – The Firestarter
136. How Rihanna Inspired Me – curiousitygotmecom
137. The Fire Inside Me – curiousitygotmecom
138. 1% …. – clumsyandsilly
139. The slow burn of loneliness. – trailingthoughtsblog
140. Living in ‘Maybes’ and ‘Almosts’. – Midnight secret.
141. Eden of Knowledge – Burn
142. Jaded Psychodelicide – Swan Song of The Common Damned
143. 24 Degree Drop – northerninthesouth
144. When she had to burn – Awordseeker
145. rhymeagination – BURN
146. Sunken Thought – Oh No! Help!
147. Fourth of July Celebration – Meg’s Magical Musings
148. Extinguishing Depression – Kristoffe Tries to Explain It All
149. Feel the Burn – Views From Around the Corner
150. With Your Eyes – thebeckchronicles
151. Christmas Warmth – The Inkwell
152. Delhi, I love you – Hi India
153. A Vibrant Palette – Burned….ouch! ~ Daily Post Prompt
154. Burn… – Where’s the Windmill?
155. rae + etc – Shot fox
156. speaking up for myself – Incandescent
157. The happy Quitter! – A different kind of Heartburn
158. So I won’t remember ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
159. To be Born Again – mySestina
160. somawrites – let it burn
161. Fire Night – Dave’s (almost) Daily Drivel
162. Sunken Thought – A Fair Day PT 7
163. WhenWordsCollide – “Embers”
164. Burn #TheDailyPost – Of Glass & Paper
165. Addison Greene – The Required Life
166. Jacki Kellum Juxtapositions: Read My Mind – Fireside Songs & Tales and Other Thoughts on Burning
167. Cold Winter’s Day. – TheTattooedBookGeek
168. The Gad About Town – I’m on Fire
169. Tending the Fire – Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky
170. The Failing Buddhist – Burning, Cutting, and Ways to Lose Friends
171. Awl and Scribe – Burn
172. Growing Toward the Sun – SATURDAY SUNSHINE: 4th of July Honesty
173. kStan(ly) kSays – keep my fire company
174. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Feline Burns
175. kStan(ly) kSays – ghosts who pay the bills
176. The Flame in your Soul. – littleflamesblog
177. kStan(ly) kSays – no party girl no more
178. Burn [Special Stylistic Piece] – fssther
179. devildollmusings – Lover, You Should Have Come Over
180. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Accidental and non-accidental burnsDa
181. LOVE WHAT YOU DO – Burn
182. Burn – My Second Act, Scene One
183. BURN – TheZubs
184. Coloring Outside the Lines – Burn, Baby Burn
185. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Licks
186. la ratita de mama – active fire on the balance scale
187. A Pretty Potato – Feverishly finishing
188. The After Burn – therussellplace
189. Burn – rupalislale
190. Tillamook Burn – Just Writing!
191. Hot White Snow – My Life in a Brick
192. Burnin’ Love… – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
193. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: burn
194. Literary Phenomenot – Burn
195. Burn – Jane Dougherty Writes
196. Focal Breeze – Burning Passion
197. Your Best Friend – Eloraquence
198. Travel Much? – The Nerve!
199. Designer Sophisticate – Please remember the SPF.
200. The Daily Post – Progressing into Solitude – Burn
201. A happenstance – zorazebic
202. 83 Unsung Heroes – Stupidly Flammable
203. Burn – The Daily Post – D.B. Mauldin
204. Exhibit Selections – ep. 2 – Dutch goes the Photo!
205. La Tour Abolie – On the burning of books
206. When India met Pakistan – Get Lost!
207. Lantern Words – My Spirit Does Burn
2 thoughts on “Author Interview – K.C. Rice – The Tattered Series, Deadly Passion & Anguish – Wil’s Story”
Great interview! Thanks for the link, as always! 🙂
Pingback: Interview With David Ellis – AUTHOR K. C. RICE