Hey there everyone.
Welcome to the start of another very exciting week.
To kick us off into overdrive on the Author Interview series, it gives me the greatest pleasure to introduce author Emmy Gatrell, as she spills the beans on her wonderful worlds, enchanting books and gripping stories, along with giving us her own tips that help her writing craft.
Time to buckle up and strap yourself in for an amazing ride – enjoy the show.
Hi there Emmy, thank you for taking the time to be our featured guest here today.
Thank you so much for having me!
Let’s start with your Daearen Realms series of books. You just published the third one in the series in March this year. I’m fascinated by your world and what sits behind it, when it comes to science and magic. Your covers are also exquisite and your titles are very unique. Please can you elaborate further as to what the Daearen Realms are all about, what character arcs we are going to encounter across the course of the three books (do you have different protagonists in any of the books) and lastly regarding the significance of the title names, is this a language that your characters speak in the novels?
“Daearen isn’t much different than the human world. Imagine a world where science is replaced with magic,” Lilly of the Air Fey ~ Meanmna: Book One of the Daearen Realms
The Daearen Realms exists alongside Earth, and the two are linked together if a delicate balance isn’t maintained within it, mostly having to do with whomever is ruling the realms and the balance between light and dark magic, it affects Earth in the form of natural disasters and unrest.
Daearen encompasses five separate realms; Meanmna the Spirit Realm, Bienn-Theine the Fire Realm, Eitlean the Air Realm, Hasani the Water Realm, and Pozzolana the Earth Realm. Each has its own form of magic, landscape, problems, protagonist(s) and antagonist(s). Each realm will have its book, and the story told through a different POV. Well, the sixth book, Daearen will be told by Sarette who also tells us the story of Meanmna: Book One of the Daearen Realms. Each story follows one fey’s journey of self-discovery while battling the forces of evil trying to take over the realms.
In Book One Meanmna we meet Sarette. An average human teenage girl just trying to find her place in the world but discovers she’s so much more. She’s, in fact, a fey princess destined to leave everyone and everything she loves behind to become the Spirit Queen of the Daearen Realms. If she doesn’t, unbalance will affect the realms and Earth as well. So, she doesn’t get much of a choice in the matter. The story follows her journey to learn her magic, learn the ways of the fey she must rule, and race against the clock getting to Meanmna, the Spirit Realm which rules them all.
Book Two, Bienn-Theine is told by Mathew, Sarette’s best friend and another teenager who ‘thought’ he was just human. It’s his story of discovering who he is and what he is capable of while on a quest of epic proportions to take his rightful place as heir of the Fire realm. Eitlean, Book Three is Banee-Belle of the Air fey’s story of finally becoming the fey she was meant to be not the airhead everyfey assumes her to be.
Books Four and Five will be the stories of the Hasani the Water Realm and Pozzolana the Earth Realm; they follow the same theme, self-discovery, and some kick-butt battles. The fighting is heating up, more lives are in danger, including some fan favorites…dun, dun, dun. Book Six will be the final battle between light and dark magic and standoff between Sarette and who want to rule the Daearen Realms themselves.
Thank you about the covers! They were designed by Norman Wong. Cover design is not his day job; it’s awesome having talented friends!
The titles are actually ancient words for what they represent mostly Celtic, but there’s a couple of other ancient languages in there as well. I didn’t create a new language for the realms although they do have a different vernacular than what we humans would be used to for example they say everyfey versus everyone. I also created and named several creatures; those just were completely made up.
You also have just published the first book in a brand new series called “Fate is a Mated Bitch (Lupinski Clan Book 1)”. Is this book the start of a brand new series that is a complete departure from the Daearen Realms series? What kind of story arc are we going to experience with this particular book and where do you see the story evolving to in future sequels?
It is a brand new series and very different from the Daearen Realms. First and foremost, the realms novels are YA Fantasy Romance and the Lupinski Clan novels are a 18+ Paranormal Romance, graphic language and situations included.
The first four books will follow the Lupinski siblings, Nate, Walt, Ja’lyn, and Jeff. Their family has been in charge of a multi-shifter clan since their ancestors left the old world in search of better lives.
How they ended up in charge was that the trip to America itself was dangerous and the different species of shifters ended up banding together for a better chance survival. But when you throw in several animal species that traditionally don’t get along, chaos ensues. It was discovered that the Lupinski’s, who are a different breed of shifter than you’ve ever seen unless you count Bigfoot sightings, can exert their Alpha power over the other species, which made them the natural leaders of such a clan. Each type of shifter species and some humans too will eventually have their own books!
If any of your novels were to be made into films (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
Okay so, I think that the Daearen Realms would make a freaking awesome series on a channel like the WB. It would be like the Game of Thrones for teenagers, LOL! Hard for me to say that actor/actress would be a great “whomever.” My education is in Theatre; it would be up to the director and their vision. But I will say that I think Madison McLaughlin, she was on a couple of episodes of Supernatural and is currently on Arrow, would be perfect for Sarette…And I would just fall over with joy and exert my “Author Power” to hang out on the set sometimes if Jared Padalecki played her father, King Roland.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
Hardest:- Being able to sit and zone out writing for hours and hours. I have a husband, kids, dogs, a home, and lots of other stuff that also need attention. I wake up at 2am most days, so I can write in quiet with no distractions for a couple of hours.
Easiest:- I just love creating stories…
Who are some of the authors and historical figures that inspire you?
Honestly, too many to name. Generally strong women inspire me.
What sort of research did you do to write your books?
All kinds. Ancient languages, crystals, and stones, animal behavior, etc.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I write because I have to, I wouldn’t be me without it. I was inspired to start publishing by my husband.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I’ll just write complete nonsense until I can get going again. LOL! I’ll switch my medium, use paper and pencil vs. a computer, and I listen to music with binaural beats to try keep focused.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Never stop writing!
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
What free time? LOL! I love health and fitness and am an avid bodybuilder. I lift five days a week and have a cardio only day. I also design and make jewelry and some other crafty type activities.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Going to keep writing my current series’ and I’m also putting together a Fitmom Food book and guide.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Write. Write all the time. Even when you have nothing to say! And when you discover that writing is only about 10% of the work to publish, don’t be disappointed! It’s just the way it works!
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for being a fun guest and for sharing more about the intriguing worlds in your books, we can’t wait to check them out 🙂
Thank you so much for having me!
Emmy Gatrell is a Fantasy and Paranormal Romance writer ranging from Sweet (YA/NA) through four-flame (18+).
She grew up Metro-Detroit and went to Siena Heights University in Adrian, Michigan before moving to Georgia. After spending more than a decade there with her husband, kids, and dogs. Her family realized Georgia was still too cold, and now they live in Costa Rica where its summer all year and the seasons are; kind of dry, a little rainy, and deluge. She loves her family and community, writing about things that go bump in the night, food, fitness, and bodybuilding.
Emmy has published the first three of six novels in her Young Adult Fantasy Romance Series the Daearen Realms; “Meanmna”, “Bienn-Theine”, and “Eitlean”. “Hasani” (Book Four) is slated for a spring 2017 release.
Her new series the Lupinski Clan, is a 18+ Paranormal Shifter Romance. Fate is a Mated Bitch released November 2016 and Forgiving Fate December 2016.
Emmy’s love of her roots and traveling comes out in her writing as she creates a new realm of existence with the Daearen Realms, an entirely new breed of Shifter with the Lupinski Clan and whatever else she comes up with next.
You can connect with Emmy via the following Social Media platforms:-
Subscribe to her newsletter:- Emmy’s Newsletter
Facebook (Author Emmy Gatrell):- Emmy Gatrell Author (FB)
Facebook (Daearen Realms Series):- The Daearen Realms Series (FB)
Goodreads:- Emmy Gatrell (Goodreads Author)
Instagram:- emgatrell (Instagram)
Twitter:- @emmyeg (Twitter)
Website:- The Website of Author Emmy Gatrell
You can buy her books here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well Emmy’s books are all about eliciting a feeling of wonder and enchantment in the realms that she creates (and the word elicit is a Latin word that has origins in magic too, which makes it a relevant comparison here). For more articles on the theme of ‘Elicit‘ then check out the links below:-
1. What does the future bring? – Roberta Pimentel
2. The Enchantment of Elicit – rupalislale
3. What if your friends to officiate your Marriage! – passiondesignerblog
4. “Elicit” o el como obtener un rico cafesin – El hombre en busca del Espresso Perfecto
5. Elicit: The Daily Prompt – Sorkrates
6. LIFE – When in Batangas Part 2
7. theblackwallblog – Thankfulness Week # 11
8. I Will Not Repeat – Ms Skyfall
9. Success Inspirers’ World – A Tear, The Turmoil and A Response
10. Child Development and Education – Welcome To Life Memoirs blog
11. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – Invisible Scars
12. theempathyqueen – Gratitude & Giving ~ What Elicits your Empathy?
13. Sweet Tea with a Slice of Faith – Hide and Seek
14. What Does It Take? – Sunken Thought
15. Wellsprings of Wisdom – a nomad in cyberspace
16. Betcha didn’t know! – Are you still publishing too many post? Discover why doing this could ruin your blog
17. Betcha didn’t know! – Betcha! I have something to say! Discover a tip that could boost your views
18. trade love! – for the love of poetry
19. The Lack of Sunbeams – Just a Little Magic
20. Zombie Flamingos – Well, what do you know?
21. The Milky Way – Elicit
22. The world is a big mirror – What I Gotta Say About It Deux
23. BodynSoil – Elicit or Illicit Close but Different
24. God’s Voice Amidst the Battle Cry Of Life – Lance Price Blog 2016
25. The Weird and Wonderful World of Patreon – Marc Townsend Author
26. Confrontation-Part 1 – Ms Skyfall
27. 15 Tips for Buying a Woman the Perfect Gift – Unique Lovely Gifts
28. After the Show Christie & Adam P2 – Rexine Rawhead
29. Yes, You Can Wear Mules in Cold Weather! How To Do It – Custom Shoes Blog
30. Boat cruise Dubai marina – A Guide To Dubai Markets – Yacht in Dubai
31. Authentic SMOK G-Priv 220W Touch Screen Box Mod Kit – Vape Style Blog
32. Mommy Bear – Debbie Gravett
33. Eternal Dance – LuPo_san
34. News Report – Debbie Gravett
35. Grieving allowance on a widowed birthday – Afterlife Love Story
36. Book magic – citySonnet
37. Success Inspirers’ World – Why provoke me?
38. Success Inspirers’ World – The men in uniform
39. Scribbling It Up – When India Lets You Down
40. A New Position – Thirty by Thirty
41. Fluffy Pool – Elicit and Day 22
42. Our Love – Elaine’s Bloggers Paradise
43. Lifting The Veil – Wisdom Persists
44. Can I succeeded in being a vegetarian? – Let your words speak what your heart thinks.
45. Dealing with BPD: Don’t Touch My Naptime – StuffHollySees
46. Elicit Ralphie – raszyfibers
47. XingfuMama – Response
48. Elicit – Just Fashion
49. inspiration in progress – Elicit
50. Eden of Knowledge – Waterboarding
51. hoosiersunshine13 – Spaghetti alla Carbonara
52. Just Shy of Two Weeks – August’s Attic
53. pennyforyourthotsblog – Elicit
54. Elicit action – Writer2011
55. Here and Now – Dee-Vita
56. I Have a Dream… NO MORE MENTAL ILLNESS STIGMA – My Loud Bipolar Whispers
57. pamandjanet – Shoulder
58. Disappearing Face – Unmemorizing Myself
59. Pratchett’s Thud! – Part 1, A Medley of Characters – jmwwriting
60. So Many Promises – Mindful Senselessness
61. Elicit – The Bag Lady
62. I Have Pretty Strong Convictions, I Guess – Elicit
63. Elicit – Inner Whispers
64. Erlkönig – Occasional Dreams
65. Photo elicits its own emotional response – Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN
66. The art of. .. – Margaret writes about life and everything else
67. juantetcts – Daily Post:Elicit
68. Showing Thanks… – Sumyanna Writes
69. Flowers and Breezes – Elicit
70. Elicit – Tit Bits of life
71. Hearing Verses Seeing – Scribbles to Compositions
72. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Elicit Addendum
73. Crazy. Naughty. No. – Gripping Black
74. Daily Prompt – Those Pointless Thoughts – Screamed
75. Elicit – 2amcoffeebreak
76. Michael’s Monologue – The Case for Pardoning Hillary Clinton
77. A Fateful Meeting. – intertwinethestars
78. Elicit – Simply Spendid Life
79. Musings of a Random Mind – Long Lost Relative Found
80. Suddenly Single in Marin – Very naughty, knotty….
81. stories of the mind – Love it Now
82. Elicit a Smile – A Wandering Memory
83. Joyously Hopeful – Thanksgiving
84. Elicit, what’s that? – In my world
85. I came…two by two… – Insidious Temptation
86. Elicit the truth. – susiesopinions
87. Elicit – Wings Of Poetry
88. Attuned Photography – may..find in the sea
89. What’s The Point? – Kurilane Guests
90. whatever – writemebad
91. wordsareallihavesite – Daily Prompt:Elicit
92. sparksfromacombustiblemind – Bring..
93. True Love – Passionate Soul
94. Elicit: The Daily Post – Sorkrates
95. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Elicit
96. Success Inspirers’ World – Don’t fall into the trap
97. Light & life – A House of Worship Where Worshipers Arise
98. What Does ‘Universe’ Mean? – wee ditty
99. Memos from a Retired Hippie Chick – Beware the Wizard of Words
100. Covert Novelist – Elicit (Nathan 34)
101. Ringing in Wintery Love – Perceptions
102. What’s on your mind? – themanbehindtheglass
103. Nanotale #23 – maybeiamsure
104. Sasha’s Writings – Black bag!
105. Exploring the World around us – Elicit
106. The Gad About Town – The Bad I Do, Part 2
107. ExplorewithMafaza – Elicit
108. What it’s like – WP elicit
109. Stalemate – Random Thoughts and Musings
110. The Troublesome Traveller – Irresistible Me…
111. Eliciting Information!!! – Zorba The Buddha
112. The Gad About Town – An Open-and-Shut Case of Something or Other
113. “Patience!” I yell. – CD-W, Author
114. Travel Much? – Me gusta Valencia, The Oceanographic and the Prince Felipe Museum of Science
115. Questions Marks Procession – emotionsoflife2016
116. First step first – SoulDogz
117. words – Spectres & Stardust
118. Bedtime Poems for the Undergraduate Soul and more – ink and toast
119. Crossing Colorado – How to Keep a Positive Mind When Things Are Bad
120. Thoughts: Colors – Sincerely, Loewe
121. A Tear, The Turmoil and A Response – atrangizindagieksafar
122. Mainline_Matter – Elicit Emotion
123. ELICIT A SMILE – rhymeagination
124. The Real Thanksgiving Story – A lot from Lydia
125. The whine of the naive rebel! – WazirNama
126. Elicit – Allison’s Written Words
127. The Poetry Channel – Restraining Order
128. Timeandreflections – Mirage or Marriage
129. Evidence – november child
130. The source – lovelyricism
131. kStan(ly) kSays – um uh zombie
132. Be the Greatest YOU – Happy Wifey Life
133. Quill & Parchment – Elicit !
134. Lamont and Dude Raven about Language – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
135. So What Does Success Look Like? – SUCCESS STRATEGIES
136. unrequited – The Rucksack
137. Open Book – simply home-made
138. Word Nerves – Letters From The Ocean
139. Elicit- Words and Wine – Paulina Angela
140. Le Drake Noir – Foggy charm
141. An Attempt at Impromptu Writing – Postfully Yours
142. Illicit – Oh, border! – Elicit
143. Colourful memories – Awordseeker
144. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Ilicit is the Feline
145. There’s always hope in the darkness – From One Crazy Life To Another
146. Changing Words – Pete Gardner Psalms
147. Original-Dante – A Small Reminder.
148. And then there was one – Oops, I did it again…almost!
149. It’s getting to that time of year – Back On The Grid
150. LOVE BEING SPOILED – Emancipator
151. Autism in Our Nest – How Much Screen Time is too Much Screen Time?
152. Sifting in November – seequoyah
153. A Three Line Short Horror Story- Chapter 21 (A Courtroom) – Khayal
154. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Eliciting information can be difficult
155. I missed you! – Burshblog
156. Forever in a Dream – Bits of Nibbets
157. s1ngal – Eliciting
158. Hope – indisputably inconclusive
159. Prompt Page 0015: Motivation – Warrior Freya
160. Our Traveling Blog – The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
161. kStan(ly) kSays – i was hired to care
162. Weird And Wonderful – Elicit Life
163. Zombie Flamingos – Tuesday. And that means pictures from last night’s supper
164. Betcha didn’t know! – Do you feel like you’re not flourishing as a writer? Discover the secret to bringing out the best in you
165. Four Little Words – Write On Queen!
166. simply.cindy – Children’s Literature Roundtable
167. It’s all in the Prefix – Just Writing!
168. The happy Quitter! – The world is a big mirror
169. Half Full – Fenix Verde
170. There Are More Poets than Stars in the Firmament – my stump is higher than yours
171. Kick up your workout with style – art of being fabulous
172. When Death Happens, Life Has A Funny Way of Comforting – Mid-Life Inspirations
173. English neologisms in Spanish, politics, and all that jazzmandering? – lucarna
174. Love – crashcoursedummy
175. Universal World of Les Miserables – Meg’s Magical Musings
176. Touch – wordsonwings
177. Snow – Bits of Poems
178. Good Morning – S. Thomas Summers
179. the15thday – the great pumbah can suck it.
180. “Listen up humans!”–Biasini Speaks – HorseAddict
181. BEING CHERRY 🍒Â – Rainbow
182. Devil Doll Musings – More Than Words
183. Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary – Don’t hold your breath
184. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Elicit
185. Quadrille: Mindful Breathing – whippetwisdom.com
186. ativ schuberg – A muse walks in
187. sonja benskin mesher – wuthering
188. Elicit – Emotions that matter.
189. Boat cruise Dubai marina – Dubai Water Canal – Yacht in Dubai
190. Writing Books to Order: Eliciting a response… – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
191. Frank Prem – the hostess gift
192. Unique Baby Gifts – Unique Lovely Gifts
193. Southern By Design – Motherhood~Identity Crisis
194. ….on pets and prisoners….. – daily prompt: elicit
195. The Wandering Poet – Here’s to another bright peaceful day 🙂
196. Our Random View – Elicit
197. I wrote a book. Now what? – Spit it out!
198. Lantern Words – To Elicit Response