Hey there everyone.
Welcome to another fantastic edition of the ongoing Author Interview series.
Just a quick note before we get started properly. I link to a lot of other articles in my posts, so WordPress users please check your Spam folders in your Setting Menus and approve any links/pingbacks that you find from me to improve the visibility of your own blog posts, as well as mine, it’s a win win for us both 😉
Tonight, we have extra special bonus content, where the author has kindly recorded a couple of in depth videos to expand her answers.
Please let me welcome you all to the realm of author Olivia Stocum, as we find out more about what influences her and inspires her to write her novels.
Thanks for reading and enjoy the show folks 🙂
Hi there Olivia, wonderful to have you over here, so we can find out more about what drives and motivates you as a writer.
Thanks so much for having me. Author interviews are one of my favorite things, after writing, cats, and goldfish, of course.
Let’s start with your books themselves. You write endearing, engaging books in the Historical Romance genre that have found their way on to best seller lists. Please tell us more about their plots and what is at stake for your protagonists across the course of their adventures.
I have an overarching theme in my books, whether my historical romance or my other line, paranormal romance, and that’s family. Your family might be related by blood, marriage, or they may be good friends. In my books, family stick together, even when they don’t completely understand what motives the other person. They try. Try to understand, to support, and to be there for each other.
Why do you write in the Historical Romance genre? What specifically draws you to this particular genre?
I’ve always felt out of place, as if I was born in the wrong time or the wrong galaxy. Because of that, I spent a lot of my childhood in fictional worlds, from Sherwood Forest to Vulcan. Somehow, I always feel more at home inside the pages of a book.
What would you choose as your own personal mascot or spirit animal when it comes to you and your style of writing?
This is a great question. I’ve been asked what kind of animal I’d like to be, but never in regards to writing style. I guess I would have to say, tigress. I write the entire book inside my head before I type the first word. Once in a while I might jot down some quick notes, but not very often. I mull it over and fine tune it all inside my head, like a predator sizing up its prey, and then when it’s time, I leap, writing an entire first draft in as little as three weeks.
What do you think most characterizes or defines your writing? Do you have any writing quirks or themes that constantly crop up in your stories?
Definitely. I grew up watching reruns of the show, The Addams Family. They were so strange, but so loving, always looking for the best in people, and always supporting all the members of their family, no matter how big the dream might be. I think that has really stuck with me and it shows up in my work.
If your novels were to be made into a film (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
Three names: Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Benedict Cumberbatch. That was one name. Sorry, not sorry. I’d have Benedict in the roll of the leading man hands down. The leading lady is a little harder to make a decision on, but I think I’ll go with Jennifer Love Hewitt. I really like her sexy/silly vibe.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
Writing in itself isn’t really that bad when you already live in a fantasy world of your own making, so I’d say that’s the easy part. It’s marketing my work that exhausts me. I’m not particularly outgoing, and really hate tooting my own horn. Unfortunately, it’s one of those things you have to push though if you want to make a go at writing professionally.
Who are some of the authors, poets and historical figures that inspire you?
As far as I’m concerned, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is the best novel ever written; romance, history, and a mystery to unravel, all in a Gothic wrapper. I’m also partial to Jane Austen, and Lewis Carroll. I named one of my cats Dinah, after Alice in Wonderland’s pet cat. I’m fond of Joan of Arc as well. At one point, I’d read the transcripts of her trial. Really interesting, and chilling stuff. She was really intelligent for a peasant girl.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Most of my research is done online. I used to interview people, but honestly, it’s faster to use the web. You just have to be careful. Not everything you read on the internet is true. (I know, because Abraham Lincoln said so. He must have said so, right? I saw it on a meme, so it must be true…)
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
Well, the stories have to go somewhere, otherwise people start calling my name and waving their hands in front of my face, and I don’t even know they’re there. But seriously, I can’t seem to tame my head, and it’s easier to write it down than to carry it around with me all the time. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember. I was writing stories by the time I was eight years old.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
Once in a while I have a day where I’ve got nothing to write. This is especially true when it’s time to write a blog post. Non-fiction is a lot harder for me than fiction. I’ve found that if I force myself to start typing, even if it’s complete gibberish, then at least I have something to work with. You can’t edit a blank page, after all.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Stop underestimating yourself. They are jealous, NOT of your talent, since they have just as much as you, but of your tenacity. That’s why they treat you so badly. They want to pull you down so you can’t succeed. Just pick yourself up and walk on, even if you have to do it alone.
(Check out the video below for an expanded video answer to this question from Olivia – “When they won’t support your goals”)
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
I sneak up on innocent wild animals and take their pictures.
My husband and I are both introverted and would pretty much stay home if we could. We wound up buying a nice camera and now he thinks of places we can drive to and I take pictures of nature. He carries my gear. I think he got the short end of the stick, but go figure, he says he doesn’t mind.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Yes, I have plans. Lots of evil plans. (Oh, but we were talking about writing, weren’t we.) Last year, I published my first paranormal romance, Tangled Moon. The second book in the Tangled Moon Saga will be released this October. There will be two more books in that series, with the possibility of a spin-off after that. Also, I’ve just started a You Tube channel where I plan to post regular videos, not about the writing life so much, but Living the Dream, for anyone who wants to or is pursuing a big dream. In case anyone is interested: (Honestly, I could use the subscribers to get me started. 😉 )
Olivia’s YouTube channel:- Good Feels Lofty Ideals (YouTube)
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Just do it, as the saying goes. As creative people, we tend to second guess ourselves. You’ll find that everyone’s uncle’s, neighbour’s, cousin’s, sister-in-law’s Chihuahua wants to, or has written a book, and they’ll be more than happy to tell you how to write yours. Unless you’re face-to-face with someone who actually knows what they’re doing, you will have to faze them ALL out. It’s not ego. It’s reality. You could spin your wheels forever taking everyone’s advice, so just don’t. Find a couple people who can mentor you and only show your work to them. Wait until it’s ready, but don’t wait too long, and then toss it out there, even if you end up tossing it to wolves.
Publish a book and hear crickets in the background. It’s okay, really. Tomorrow you will do better. It won’t kill you to fail. In fact, you get used to it.
(Check out the video below for an expanded video answer to this question from Olivia – “Why failure is your friend”)
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for taking the time to chat with us and make videos for us too, it’s a pleasure to see someone so passionate about their craft, we can’t wait to check out all your books 🙂
Olivia Stocum lives in New York State with her husband, three children, two cats, a dog, and numerous goldfish. Her favorite books are Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and Persuasion by Jane Austen.
She’s been an avid writer since she published her first piece at the age of eight, and now has seven published novels.
You can connect with Olivia via the following Social Media channels:-
Blog:- The Blog of Author Olivia Stocum
Facebook:- Author Olivia Stocum, Good Feels Romance Fiction (FB)
Goodreads:- Olivia Stocum (Goodreads Author)
Pinterest:- Author Olivia Stocum (Pinterest)
Twitter:- @OliviaStocum (Twitter)
Website:- The Website of Author Olivia Stocum
YouTube:- Good Feels Lofty Ideals (YouTube)
You can buy her books here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, Olivia writes in the Romance Genre therefore what better prompt to include here than one relating to love itself? 🙂 For more articles on the theme of ‘Enamored’ then check out the links below:-
1. Samantha Linda – Enamoured
2. “Enamoured with Nature.” – Expedition Overlanding Nomadic Adventures
3. Living in Ellison – The Brothers Donovan
4. witchlike – Quiz: Who is your Shakespearean Soulmate?
5. Joy Peace Harmony – Scaling new heights in Rome
6. A Diary of A Single Man: Midnight Text – Harlem Cafe
7. A Diary of A Single Man: Peach Bunny Mama – Harlem Cafe
8. Enamoured of Dark Luminescence – Crumbling Crow’s Feet
9. Love Language – The AAAmazing Phoenix by Alan Grace
10. Sacred Grove V – Writer’s block
11. Enamored – Run and Travel
12. STOP – Wind Kisses
13. She flowed.. – Dance of the Soulful Words
14. When all that matters is what we’ve chosen to give ourselves to. – Piqued
15. Willy-Nilly Tramp (3/4) – Kuma House
16. Why I Write? – Wandering Soul
17. Enamoured memory, visualisation or fantasy? – The AAAmazing Phoenix by Alan Grace
18. Give Me All Your Money… – Tangled Webs
19. Dinner for Two – Notes to Women
20. Daily Prompt – Enamored – Replete with Stars
21. An Iterative Tribute to Dad – James Clark — The Next Iteration
22. My Stupid – Edwin’s Journal
23. Dronstad – The heritage
24. Sleep Fantasy… – Mum’s the Word Blog
25. Swell Time – Stoke and love
26. Goals – The Chaos Within
27. Following Him Beside Still Waters – Out Of The Blue
28. #hashtags – Haiku-a-Day #020
29. Sea – Uniquesus
30. Sombre limericks 6 – Afterwards
31. Live Again – andsoitisborn
32. Give Thanks – To Build Wealth Over Time
33. Beautiful words for beautiful friends – farahazaihan
34. Love affair with Nature – mslazyboots
35. A Diary of A Single Man: In My Bed – Harlem Cafe
36. sonja benskin mesher – #ancestry
37. Fluffy Pool – Drifting In and Out
38. In Different Forms – Oh, border!
39. Enamoured of you…/Suzhalgal
40. By The Way – Leigha Robbins
41. The Hockey Mom Fit Life – Mr. Kite
42. Feather Touch – Pristine Path
43. His and Her – On a mission
44. Red, Yellow, Black – Thoughts of Words
45. Daily Prompt and Picture Prompt 242 – The Bag Lady
46. My Mixed Blog – Enamored Senses
47. The Secret Crush – How I Learned to Dance in The Rain
48. To be Rich or Not? – Where Lies the Heart
49. Love Alchemy – Painting Time
50. Embrace the Chaos (Why I Love My Rock N Roll) – authoranonblog
51. Zombie Flamingos – Ah, time to relax
52. y – it takes many years
53. How They Fell in Love – Stay Strong, Daily Warrior!
54. Parmesan Chicken with Tomato & Basil – Cooking with Sweta
55. Enamored – Regina Abola
56. Confess Your Faults – Grind the Latch
57. My Oyster Rubbing On Your Swirls – Beauty Mirrors Beast
58. GOD’S CHAIR – Ever Enamored
59. logicaldreams – Short Story: To Be A Hero
60. Enamoured – Tachispeaks
61. A loving parable – CD-W, Author Flawed to Perfection
62. Counterfeit – This Girl’s Got Curves
63. ~241 Of 365~ – ……….365 Days………..
64. Travelling Psychologist – Passion lead us here
65. Manic enamorment – I love sidewalks – Bird Flight
66. Sand … Stars – inamorata
67. Enamored By The Jet Ski Rhymes… – Nomadchasingwaterfalls
68. 42 Ways To Improve Yourself… – Success Strategies
69. ARHtistic License – Enamored
70. Enamored – Success Inspirers World
71. Mr Darcy – BONSALLES ART
72. Scott Andrew Bailey – Enamoured
73. Urban Photoessay: #22 “We Love You” – Ostendnomadography
74. Yes, But is it ART…Art…art…or art? – The Page Turns
75. Walk with God – I Like You
76. Enamored By Love – A Unique Title For Me
77. Life On The Skinny Branches – Seasons of Love
78. Solar Eclipse and your eyeballs – Developing Explorers
79. Farewell, Louise – Kurilane
80. Musings of a Random Mind – Remembering Elza
81. Developing Explorers – Solar Eclipse and your eyeballs
82. Piper’s Adventures – Waterfall Enamored with Structure
83. Enamored – Love it Now
84. Enamored with a fuzzy monster – Sarahs Crazy Mind
85. I feel the heat – memoriter
86. Ed Sheeran & Harry Styles – Call Me Incorrigible
87. I Enjoy a Good Book – I Am Enamored by a Good Movie – Jacki Kellum
88. Fill My Heart with Your Love (bible journal) 3 minute read – Adventures of a Busy Mom
89. Making it write – Audition
90. The [Password] is: “Password” – The River
91. A Question Worth Asking – Divine Contemplations
92. Enamoured – thehouseofbailey
93. La Rossa, La Dotta, La Grassa – Journeys of Len
94. Scottish Legend’s Blog – Looking for something new.
95. Jaspa’s Journal – Caernarfon Castle, Wales
96. B*_ live – Falling Free
97. Enamored – wordsareallihavesite
98. I’m So Beautiful – Smell The Coffee
99. Enamored – A Sawyer’s Daughter
100. Never enamored – In my world
101. The Body in the Woods – Musing I Can
102. Relax – Love is a many-.. well, it’s often that..
103. Enamored – Covert Novelist
104. Florentine Salad – koolkosherkitchen
105. Grammy Writes – Stairway to Nowhere
106. Green-Eyed.. – Life After Fifty
107. A Glorious Kick Off – E. Denise Billups, Writer
108. theresa – Embracing loneliness (a.k.a. ‘self-love’) – meta
109. Giggles & Tales – The Daily Prompt – Enamored!
110. I am Enamored By Many Different Things – My Loud Bipolar Whispers
111. Charmed Chaos – #Cinquain: Quenched
112. Myanmar street food – Don’t hold your breath
113. Hurdles & Girdles – These old boots…
114. The Ceaseless Reader Writes – Biting Sonic Satire
115. Finding light – Random Thoughts
116. Enamored… – Cyranny’s cove
117. Staci Troilo – Book Excerpt: Body Armor (Enamored)
118. life is great despite its troubles – Stronger than war, prison, time and illness
119. Curious Hart – Inamorata
120. Dating 101 – Relationship Point
121. The Muse… – stoneronarollercoaster
122. Midnight Calico Farm – Apples
123. Look what you made me do #LWYMMD – I think, I say, I do
124. An Agony of solitude – Sketches By Nitesh
125. Enamored and Shattered – damswriter
126. Just Say the Word – This, That, and The Other
127. Sebuah Surat Kepada Rakyat Malaysia (A Letter to Malaysians) – Zeckrombryan
128. Free Verse: Lightning Moves Me. – Urban Poetry By Linda J. Wolff
129. Ooh l’amour – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
130. SERENDIPITY – ENAMORED AIN’T JUST LOVE
131. Lonnie Dawkins Photography – Dance Lessons: Auntie Enamored by Nephew, Nephew Enamored by his own Moves
132. An Upturned Soul – Your Own Personal Personality Test
133. Language – Debbie Gravett
134. Conqueror of Hearts – Islamic Methodologies Made Easy
135. bluered – jotNrot
136. Emily K. Martin – Writing Excuse #6
137. Telling the Truth – Besotted with Strangers?
138. Wild About Golf – As I was saying…
139. Divine charms – speaking up for myself
140. ARE YOU ENAMORING YOU? – Creations
141. True Beauty – Just Writing!
142. Na’ama Yehuda – Dear Deer
143. Gym And Bear It: Get Fit, Have Fun With It – Why Do You Run?
144. Enamored of his touch… – Winged words of a wanderess
145. A Life Retired Blog – Enamored with words
146. The Day Project – Candyfloss Kisses
147. Unmistakably Herb – Yikes! How Our Computer Didn’t Tell Us The Entire Story
148. Enamored – The Examined Life
149. Nan’s Farm-Inside Out – Alfred and Mrs Peel (2)
150. Daily Haiku / Senryu : Enamored – Restructuring Life
151. Love Alchemy – Enamorado De Tu Boca
152. Science Traveler – Buenos Aires, Charles Darwin, and the Giant Ground Sloths
153. Science Traveler – Buenos Aires, Darwin, and the Giant Ground Sloths
154. Charron’s Chatter – Daily Mail
155. Always and forever enamoured – The Shy Voyager
156. To The One I Love – December Rose
157. L.O.V.E. – Redhead’s World
158. Enamored throughout antiquity – Dutch goes the Photo!
159. Kimberlee K. – 5 Lessons I Learned from Hamilton & Lin-Manuel Miranda
160. Poem – Beloved – citySonnet
161. juantetcts – Daily Post
162. Piper’s Adventures – Life Enamored
163. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Enamoured Feline
164. Effervescent Life – Talking to myselves
165. thelonerose – Things I like (but not enamoured)
166. Enamoured – Daily Prompt – Ladyleemanila
167. Momentum of Jo – Texas Still Stands & We Stand Together
168. BloggerMode – Enamored
169. The Atomic Structure of Romance – Reactionary Tales
170. Fangirling – Minxin’ It Up
171. the brain is asleep the body, not so much ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
172. Why I love Asos – Vivi Foodie Diva
173. The Brown Session… – SHHHHHH….
174. An ode to love and loss of love. – Saeforli
175. WritersAndReaders – Daily Prompt – Enamored
176. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Enamoured by the unknown
177. Coming Up for Air – Marcus Lopes
178. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Enamored
179. the15thday – a foreign textured slightly slimy feeling thing
180. Enamored – Far and Farther..
181. It starts with me – Vision Board
182. Enamoured… – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
183. Night festival : celebrations in nights with lot of lights
184. Common Pursuit – A Word a Day
185. Helzee – New Beginnings and Fests
186. Author Scout – Fine Dining At First Sight
187. Too tired to Write – Running Right in the Left Lane
188. mylocalweb – Parenting in middle age
189. Dinner Party #2: Chinese New Year 2017 – Vivi Foodie Diva
190. KO Rural Mad As Hell Blog – without earbuds 3
191. 49 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Being a Mum (But Maybe Best I Didn’t) – Average is Underrated
192. Potential – Kissxd By Me
193. the simple odiya. – What’s “Dating” Your Relationship?
194. The World Outside the Window – Oak
195. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Enamored
196. Donald Trump’s Houston Tour – A lot from Lydia
197. Ena(r)mored – Percolating Poetry
198. AlexJamesWise – Enamored
199. Working On Commission – Redux Of Rex
200. Go Ahead, Get Caught with Egg on Your Face at Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Manchester, NH – robin brodrick
201. Few Can Comprehend – emotionsoflife2016
202. A Reflection in your scars shows how far you’ve come. – Individual expressions of a naive mind.
203. Scrambled, Not Fried – You By Oceans
204. Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘Spirited Away’ – Train Travel Scene – Wells Baum
205. BROKEN WINGS, LOVE THE SWING – Rainbow
206. Frank Prem – who am i? (after the affair)
207. Science Traveler – Nikola Tesla and the White Pigeon
208. Enamored – All About Writing and more
209. The Wandering Poet – Who
210. Strange Wednesdays: Omens, Moths, and Seasonal Changes – Everyday Strange
211. Cimmerian Sentiment – The Heartbreak Plan – (Part- 7) Climbing Ivy
212. Frank Prem – meteorology – a love story of melbourne
213. Frank Prem – around, my love