Let’s raise a toast to Writer Wednesday again, where does the time go, eh? (Out the window when you are reading or writing, that’s for sure!)
Just a quick note before we get started properly. I link to a lot of other articles in my posts, so WordPress users please check your Spam folders in your Setting Menus and approve any links/pingbacks that you find from me to improve the visibility of your own blog posts, as well as mine, it’s a win win for us both 😉
For tonight’s entertainment, I have conjured up a conversation with author Al Burke, as he fills us in on his debut fantasy novel “The King is Dead” and tells us what to expect, along with sharing his writing experiences with us.
Let’s get this show on the road and thanks for reading folks.
Hi there Al, fantastic to have you over here to discuss your passions and inspirations, along with your writing endeavours.
Thanks David, it’s great to be here.
Let’s start with your debut novel, the epic fantasy book “The King is Dead”, which you just published at the end of last year. Congratulations! Please tell us more about the plot, what the stakes are for the lead protagonists and the fantasy elements that define your particular tale.
The tale is set in the country of Etruvia, which has known 20 years of peace. The titular hero is Eric, who became king at an early age, but has never had a change to rule in anything other than name, as his father’s former councillors took control. As a result, the citizens on Etruvia believe he is dead (hence the title).
In the far reaches of Etruvia, creatures out of legend are wreaking havoc, and Eric must rise above his own failings to save his country. Helping him along the way is loyal soldier William Rend, who is a former war hero, but has been similarly kept out of the picture by the Council.
Why do you write in the Fantasy genre? What specifically draws you to this particular genre?
I love fantasy (and speculative fiction in general). It allows you scope to play with historical events and people under the guise of others. You can wax philosophical and political to your heart’s content. And you can have dragons, ogres and other cool creatures.
What would you choose as your own personal mascot or spirit animal when it comes to you and your style of writing?
How about a racoon? Roots through your trash, then sneers at you as you chase it away. I really have no idea (laughs).
What do you think most characterizes or defines your writing? Do you have any writing quirks or themes that constantly crop up in your stories?
Not sure I have a quirk or style as yet. I love mythology and philosophy, so expect to see some thrown in there. I also like the idea of using traditional bad guys as heroes.
If your novel was to be made into a film (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
Chris Hemsworth would make a solid King Eric, while Zach McGowan of Black Sails would be a great William (grizzled vet). He might need to cut his hair though.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
Finding the time is my traditional gripe. One my son goes to kindergarten in September, I have little excuse. As for easiest, once I start rolling, I’m very prolific.
Who are some of the authors, poets and historical figures that inspire you?
Tolkien, Welles, Verne, Bradbury, Orwell and many others.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
I’ve been researching Irish folklore and mythology (I’m Irish) for my next couple of works. Also some Greek mythology for a potential NaNoWriMo effort.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I always wrote, even as kid. I enjoy it, and it puts a smile on my face when it all comes together. Prior to writing my novel, I covered NCAA football for about five years. I don’t think I became a writer, I think I was born one.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
The knowledge that it won’t be the end. Inspiration can strike at any time. One must be ready.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Start writing now. You can do it, you’re awesome (chuckles)…
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Reading or watching TV or movies. Or TV movies. I’m boring.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Already alluded to this. I’m planning on writing a rift on the Second Battle of Moytura, a famous Irish legend written by Christian monks to inspire the Irish to fight off Viking raiders. I’m also writing some horror short stories based on Irish folklore.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Sit your butt down. Start writing. Don’t come to me looking for marketing advice.
And that’s a wrap! Thanks for dropping by Al, we look forward to exploring your book soon 🙂
Thanks for having me David, it’s been a blast.
Al was born in Dublin, Ireland, but moved to Vancouver, Canada in 2009 with his wife and baby daughter. Now the proud (and active) father of two children, Al pays the bills by working in his local library. Al is the author of The King is Dead, an epic fantasy novel recently published by Bella Tulip Publishing. With his first novel under his belt, Al plans to release at least one more in 2017, including a series of short stories.
You can connect with Al via the following Social Media channels:-
You can buy his book here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, in Al’s book, his protagonist Eric is a forgotten king trying to get back in the public light and elevate himself in their eyes again. For more articles on the theme of ‘Elevate’ then check out the links below:-
1. A Scribbling Strumpet’s Garden – Bite Me
2. Elevate: Reclaim Your Crown – Bonnie Kelso & Creating Your Experience
3. Guiding Spirits – a nomad in cyberspace
4. Love Alchemy – The Weight
5. Surprise for me on teacher’s day celebrations….!!! – and the journey continues
6. Career – The Chaos Within
7. For the Love of Poetry – Emotional Spaces
8. FIVE YEARS DOWN THE LINE – Rainbow
9. Elevated – Opal Reflections
10. Leap of Faith – Ruh Ki Parchaiyan
11. Higher Perspective – Debbie Gravett
12. Elevate – tistedtales
13. Ups, Downs & Deviations – You Will Fall
14. The battle of Hogwarts… I mean uni. – SweetHandlettering!
15. Safari Adventures – Smell The Coffee
16. Momentum of Jo – The Surreal Life – Moving Forward After the Storm
17. “Elevating my knowledge of West Wendover NV.” – Expedition Overlanding Nomadic Adventures
18. sonja benskin mesher – . the sky has lifted early .
19. A Century – Leigha Robbins
20. Humble yourselves that He may exalt you – Running Right in the Left Lane
21. It’s time for Elevation – Made Piece by Piece
22. True Wisdom – CD-W, Author Flawed to Perfection
23. Author Scout – The Latest in Apps
24. Scraps of Paper – A Winding Course
25. The need to elevate the soul – abbisoul
26. Elevate – A little stronger, a little longer…
27. Elevate, Meditate – authoranonblog
28. Quick Picks in Perth – Underdown
29. Too High – Percolating Poetry
30. Elevate – squadofsquids
31. My new view on Elevate – My Imperfect Life
32. Scott Andrew Bailey – Elevation – My Sweet Lord
33. ~247 Of 365~ – ……….365 Days………..
34. Elevate – Candace A. Jones Ministries
35. Bipolar disorder – We don’t all have the same exact flavor of the illness – Bird Flight
36. prakratii – To say good bye
37. The Hockey Mom Fit Life – Irmageddon
38. Lazy Dinner Tonite #3 – Vivi Foodie Diva
39. Be happy … – Mum’s the Word Blog
40. Raise Me Awake – a moment teller’s
41. Musings and My Two Cents – It’s Time To Look Up
42. Cage Dunn: Writer Author Collaborator – The Highest High of All
43. Elevate – chicken scratch
44. ARHtistic License – Recurring Dream
45. elevate – awonderingsoulsblog
46. Hooked on your caffeine – Tachispeaks
47. Elevate your mind – Tachispeaks
48. Sara Ackerman, author – Love is #2
49. Joy Peace Harmony – The juxtaposition of elevation
50. Elevation – My Sweet Lord – thehouseofbailey
51. Please help me publish this blog // Help me Alstublieft deze Blog bekend te maken – Groeten uit #Tienen
52. Let the celery rot – Raising
53. The Diarist Has Re-entered the Building – Riley Central
54. Being Present in This Moment – Wind Kisses
55. Higher Ground – BONSALLES ART
56. The [Password] is: “Password” – Chicken Wings
57. After loss comes recluse, or does it? – you’re here
58. Dancing by Myself – Educating Amy
59. A Limerick for My Second Spawn – A lot from Lydia
60. Notes to Women – The Age Difference
61. Daily prompt: Elevate – The AAAmazing Phoenix by Alan Grace
62. Urban Daily Haiku: Patina – Urban Poetry By Linda J. Wolff
63. Bad Moods – AJ Hunter
64. For Much Deliberation – Elevate…
65. Another Way to See Walt Disney World…Without Me! – sudden thoughts & second thoughts
66. Mainline_Matter – Elevate Work Scaffold
67. Flowers and Breezes – Elevate
68. Elevate – Erola
69. Elevate – Covert Novelist
70. Bad Moods – The Mind of Nox
71. Excuses & Rationalizations – The Golden Years Revisited
72. Ambrose I – Writer’s block
73. “This Too Shall Pass”. Shut Up – Something Else (she wants)
74. Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Struggled to Get Into But Ended Up Loving – onturningpages
75. B*_ live – I Still Wonder
76. Karen Lynne Beads – Elevate
77. Fly over it – Parallel Universe of the Mind
78. Life On The Skinny Branches – R/elevate
79. slideaways – Elevate Mankind
80. Self Elevate Note From Friends’ Kitchen – On a mission
81. Na’ama Yehuda – Elevate
82. Reflection – Yuhu
83. The Archives of Wisdom: Pop Culture Kings – Structures of Fengshui
84. Nan’s Farm-Inside Out – Dance me
85. Daily Prompt – Elevate – Chris Thilk
86. Take Me High, Make Me Smile – Akanksha
87. Take This Job And … – Success Strategies
88. Writer Sanctuary – 10 Easy Ways to Promote Yourself Online as a Writer
89. Rise up ! – thedriftingsatellite
90. Walk with God – Lifted Up
91. Happy Teacher’s Day!! – My First Blog
92. When Heartbreak Becomes Epiphany – Where Lies the Heart
93. Charmed Chaos – Faith
94. grounded while seeking the horizon – Karyn’s Domain
95. juantetcts – Daily Post
96. Reasonable Doubts – Sketches By Nitesh
97. Needless Cares – A Writer’s Beginning
98. Tanka: Magic Light – whippetwisdom.com
99. TWO THINGS… AND MORE (Two Things) – Hatter’s Madness
100. Musings of a Random Mind – The Numb3rs Game
101. SERENDIPITY – ELEVATE ME!
102. Dirty Words – This, That, and The Other
103. Elevate. – stoneronarollercoaster
104. More – This Girl’s Got Curves
105. How to Level Up your Writing – thepathtocreativity
106. Telling the Truth – Queen for a Day Proclamation
107. The World Outside the Window – Erik Flees
108. Being Grateful (Seriously. I’m not Kidding.) – Resting Bitch Personality
109. Piper’s Adventures – Reflections in the Clouds
110. “Don’t” Fit In. – Zibell’s Treasure Trove
111. Snippets of Matriculation (Matrikulasi) #1 – Zeckrombryan
112. Lift Up – Random Thoughts
113. Quotidian Tedium, Verse 7 – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
114. Laurel Grove loves… – The elevator of life…
115. Giggles & Tales – The Daily Prompt – Elevate!
116. Midnight Calico Farm – Elevate
117. Misifusa’s Blog – Parenting The School Year
118. A Life Retired Blog – I am elevated
119. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Feline elevation
120. Hurricanes Destroy The World Harvey, Irma Watch The Videos//Orkanen Vernietigen de Wereld Harvey, Irma bekijk de video’s – Groeten uit #Tienen
121. The Strays – Amy’s Odyssey
122. Daily Prompt. Elevate – Rosevoc2’s Blog
123. elevated krait ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
124. Stand in the place where you work – Writing in Any Genre
125. Narutomath96 – Unshakable truth
126. Not all minimalism is attractive. – Piqued
127. Daily Prompt: Elevate – wordsareallihavesite
128. Success Inspirers World – Elevate
129. Newsletter: ‘Find the torture you’re comfortable with’ – Wells Baum
130. The Lost Generation – a mile in my shoes
131. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – The problems with elevation
132. Telekinesis Used To Grow Hair – A Unique Title For Me
133. PLEASE SHARE HURRICANE IRMA IS UPGRADING TO A CATEGORY 5 AHEAD OF SCHEDULE – Groeten uit #Tienen
134. Be Better Than Me, My Son – Jerome Danner
135. Peeled Away – andsoitisborn
136. Elevation and Inspiration – elbowsandtongue
137. Daily haiku / senryu : Elevate – Restructuring Life
138. Remember in September – A Daily Post for National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month Post #5 – My Loud Bipolar Whispers
139. Blue hour at Lake Inle – Don’t hold your breath
140. How Standing Rock Inspired Noel Altaha To Take On New York Food Waste – NADJA
141. Life Lessons In An Elevator – think&thrive
142. And then there was one – A Major Plot Twist
143. Come into My Garden Said the Black-Eyed Susan to the Hybrid Tea – Learning to Love Life Through My Garden – Jacki Kellum
144. Teentastic: 5 tips to make any space perfect for young adults – The Mosaic Dragonfly
145. A Hard Slog… – Image & Word
146. Banishing the lazy demons with yoga – My Dusty Flip-Flops
147. Jolts causing rapid emotional or psychological switches – Bird Flight
148. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – ELEVATE
149. Black Forest cake, easy recipe – citySonnet
150. Vervolg persmededeling mee op de fiets op 1 september // Continue press release on the bicycle on September 1st – Groeten uit #Tienen
151. Out Of The Matrix – emotionsoflife2016
152. It starts with me – Question For You All
153. Frank Prem – cockatoo committee
154. Frank Prem – on an axis wheeling
155. Marital rape : why is there no sense in framing laws to prevent it ?
156. Frank Prem – this somebody’s boy
157. Elevate your feelings – Jalapeno Girl
158. Into a Nebulous Existence – December Rose
159. Scrambled, Not Fried – Lower Levels
160. Common Pursuit – They Believed
161. Estelea’s Blog – 4 tips to guarantee a great wedding
162. PAINT + POEMS – Climb
163. Riding the coat tails of the positive momentum. – Individual expressions of a naive mind.
164. Changes – Just Writing!
165. Christmas Time – Redux Of Rex
166. Dronstad – A day to remember
167. Daily Prompt:Elevate! – Excited Neurons !
168. mylocalweb – Happy Teacher’s Day!
169. Viennese Coffee Culture – A Way of Life – Journeys of Len
170. Designer Sophisticate – I hope you’re not claustrophobic.
171. Tender Creatures – Islamic Methodologies Made Easy
172. Kenya’s Restitution – AnneObure
173. Hot White Snow – The Illusion of Control
174. The Wandering Poet – Thoughts from aboard a plane
175. Muse of the Day – Everyday Strange
176. Elevate – All About Writing and more
177. Cimmerian Sentiment – Monumentally Stupid- (Part- 13) Climbing Ivy
178. y – every once in a
179. yi-ching lin photography – downward