Hey there everyone.
I hope you are all looking forward to another chilled weekend 🙂
Before we do though it’s time for another entertaining Author Interview, as we delve deeper into the craft of writing and what motivates novelists to create their books.
Just a quick note/Public Service Announcement before we get under way properly. I link to a lot of other articles in my posts, so WordPress users please check your Spam folders in your Setting Menus and approve any links/pingbacks that you find from me to improve the visibility of your own blog posts, as well as mine, it’s a win win for us both 😉
It gives me great pleasure to introduce author Laura Lovett, as we find out more about her passions and inspirations that have helped her to write her novels.
Thanks for reading folks and as always enjoy the show 🙂
Hi there Laura, wonderful to have you over here to discuss your writing experiences and how you craft your gripping books.
My pleasure to have this opportunity to discuss my novels with you.
Let’s start with your novels themselves – “Losing Cadence” and “Finding Sophie”. Please tell us more about the plots/themes of these books, along with how these psychological thrillers are both linked together, in relation to their stories and characters.
Losing Cadence was my debut novel, a psychological thriller released in 2016, which features a young woman who relies on her strength and courage to survive after she is abducted by her deranged, billionaire ex-boyfriend.
This novel centers on Cadence Weaverly, a professional musician who is building the life of her dreams. Cadence has graduated from high school, split up from her high school sweetheart, Richard White, landed her ideal job, and met Christian, the man she plans to marry. Unfortunately for Cadence, history plays a part in her story as her former boyfriend, Richard, comes back into her life to profess his undying love, abducting Cadence and threatening to murder her fiancé. Readers experience many twists and turns, and a final cliff hanger that leaves them desperate to find out what’s next.
My second novel, Finding Sophie, takes place twelve years later and focuses on Cadence’s daughter, Sophie, who is about to find out that her father is really Cadence’s ex-boyfriend, Richard. Sophie finds out that he is the man who abducted her mother twelve years earlier, and inner relationships are questioned by both parties as Richard strives to get to know his daughter, yet again after a unique and terrifying abduction. An obsession that spans decades comes to its ultimate test in this novel. Love, loss and courage coalesce as Richard faces his demons and makes one final choice to find peace and love.
What would you choose as your own personal mascot or spirit animal when it comes to you and your style of writing?
I have never been asked this, but I’d say an animal that is free and unpredictable, as that’s how my writing works. I never know what’s going to happen next and the story unfolds in ways I never expected. Perhaps the animal would be a cougar in the wild…never knowing what it will be up to next.
If your novels were to be made into films (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
I definitely see the books as movies, and my readers say that they can absolutely see that too. I actually had contests for who should act, and I got to choose the winners. I often have contests on my Facebook page (Author Laura Lovett – FB) that are fun.
Here are my choices for the three lead characters:
Cadence: Bryce Dallas Howard.
Richard: Chris Pine.
Christian: Penn Badgley.
What do you think most characterizes or defines your writing? Do you have any writing quirks or themes that constantly crop up in your stories?
I would say I am a fast-paced writer who keeps the reader guessing and eager to find out what’s next. I have been told I’m good at describing human behaviour, which makes sense given my PhD in psychology! I am told I can write in a way that toys with readers’ emotions, like making them love and hate Richard at the same time in the sequel.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The most difficult is building in enough fact and research to ensure the story is plausible, yet not slowing down the pace with too much detail. The easiest is telling the story and coming up with new ideas and unexpected twists.
Who are some of the authors, musicians, poets and/or historical figures that inspire you?
I love those that have persevered despite much rejection, and have built from nothing. I’m a fan of Stephen King, who initially self-published after numerous rejections. And J.K. Rowling, with her amazing imagination and grit. I also love Diana Gabaldon, whom I’ve met twice now, and admire her humility despite massive success.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
I research best by interviewing experts. For Finding Sophie, I interviewed yacht experts, a military leader, a helicopter mechanic, and others. I complement this with online research, but nothing beats talking to those who are “in the know” and can bring real life examples to what they’re describing.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I love telling stories, first to myself and then sharing them with others. I love entertaining people. I have a creative spirit and drive that is a true passion.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
I’ve never had writer’s block. I have the opposite problem: no time to write, but if I have time the ideas flow. Who knows, maybe with a lot more time I would experience writers’ block.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
To not let others talk you out of taking a risk. To be brave and bold. To not take judgment personally…there will always be those who are going to judge and it’s important not to take it personally. This continues to be a work in progress for me, especially because I’m a highly sensitive person.
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Writing isn’t my full-time career, so I spend most of my time in my career as a psychologist and business owner, as well as a mother of three amazing children, ages 12, 9 and 7. I am also a wife, a leader, a volunteer, a mentor…so free time, what’s that?! The writing has been a side project for me that I’m excited to build more time for in the future.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Because my time is very limited at the moment, my main goal is to see Finding Sophie reach and exceed the success of Losing Cadence, and both to become movies. This takes a lot of effort and my time is currently on promotion and marketing. Beyond this, I don’t know what’s next….but there will always be creative ideas!
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Everyone is busy. There’s never enough time. Make time each week to write, however limited. Whether it takes a year or 5 years, just do it! Every sentence counts and don’t try to be a perfectionist as it will never get done (and that’s what a great editor is for).
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for joining us Laura and sharing your writing inspiration with us, we can’t wait to see what twists and turns lie ahead of us in your books 🙂
Laura (Hambley) Lovett was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, and received her PhD in
Industrial/Organizational Psychology from the University of Calgary in 2005. Her love of writing began at an early age when she would create and draw characters, telling stories to herself as she drew.
An accomplished author in the academic and business world, Laura pursued her love of
creative writing to pen her first novel, Losing Cadence, a psychological thriller that was
published in March 2016. Losing Cadence was written over many years as Laura juggled
school, work and family, but she made time to pursue her passion for writing. The sequel, Finding Sophie, will be published on November 15, 2017, and Laura’s dream is to see both novels become movies.
Laura is a psychologist and entrepreneur, currently running practices in the areas of career and leadership development and distributed workplaces. She was selected as a Distinctive Woman in Canada in 2013 and was nominated for a Women of Inspiration Award in 2017. Laura also enjoys teaching at the University of Calgary and has been an Adjunct Professor of Psychology since 2010.
Laura lives in Calgary with her husband, three children, and dog, Ghost. She loves playing squash and travelling, as well as her view of the Rocky Mountains as the snow is falling on her hot tub.
You can connect with her via the following Social Media channels:-
You can buy her books here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, since Laura’s protagonist Cadence has to rely on her strength and courage in her tales, how about some more articles based on the same theme? Check out the links from my fellow bloggers below, don’t be shy, have the courage to read them too 🙂
1. Courage – Crazy-NOS
2. I wished I’d said something – Girl Writing
3. copypower – Courage Is Costly
4. De Kracht in Jou – Lynn’s Paper Heart
5. February Beauty Picks – Beutiflee
6. February’s word jumble – Unoriginal (love) noteS
7. Daily Post Writing Prompt: February 2018 – Allison’s Written Words
8. ReBuilding SunShyne 😉 – LFLOP * LiveFree & LoveOnPurpose
9. The Hockey Mom Fit Life – Hazards Of Hockey
10. This constant struggle, is ugly. – awesomeloopy
11. Copper Cranes – Fortieth Day
12. Life interrupted – Easy Reading
13. You Learn Something New Every Day – Day 25 – This To Shall Pass
14. The Power of Loneliness – Ismail Melek
15. isn’t it slightly ironic? but tragically sad – In The Shadow Of Birch
16. How Flaubert developed his courage. – MichaelNarssi
17. Courage – Bonkers Away!
18. Present times! – mazeepuran
19. Courage – Deafgirlstigmadoesmakeup
20. The Stranger in my Home by Adele Parks – the thoughts keeper
21. Pen Stroke – An Amateur’s Maturity
22. Adventuresnluv – 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover In Las Vegas
23. The Courage to Be Alone – A Travel Destination – Shelby’s Starlit Crossing
24. It’s a Sad Time by Penny Chavers – The Pen Cushion
25. The Courage in Waking Up – sorryless
26. I Write Stuff – NON FICTION: That Time I Signed Up For A Cage Fight
27. Ask His Help – Daily Dose
28. Courage: Daily Prompt – New Vistas Media Communications
29. Copper Cranes – Dove
30. Something gotta give – In my world
31. Courage – alfaazmeredilse
32. Brainpan Data Dump – The Courage to Fall
33. Anything Written – Hi Reality
34. When the going gets tough, courage is all you need! – My KalEYEdoscope
35. Just Another Crossing 😉 – LFLOP * LiveFree & LoveOnPurpose
36. Sentimentalness – LFLOP * LiveFree & LoveOnPurpose
37. Courage – Positively Un-broken
38. Melinda J. Irvine – Get paid to write your personal story
39. STAY AWAY, SWEET MISERY – Love and Movement
40. Notes to Women – A Little Bit Brave
41. Life Is Like That – Ethos
42. Another Day – Leigha Robbins
43. Why I No Longer Emphasize Working Hard, But Rather Focus on these 5 Strategies to Achieve My Goals – Pearls Global Impact
44. Naikanlens – What comes from the heart
45. Prompt- Courage – dolphin519
46. Love Coach Laura Harju – A different story
47. She moulds people out of clay – Sarahs Crazy Mind
48. How accountability partners help you succeed in going gray – Quaint Revival
49. Bent but not broken – The Chaos Within
50. Because he is The Lion – My weird, crazy and mundane life Journal
51. Ghost Orchid – My weird, crazy and mundane life Journal
52. shoes, a haiku // chaitanya
53. Couragous – aroused
54. Courage – Randomness Inked
55. Word Prompt: COURAGE – Musings of a Sanguine Christian Woman
56. 5 Ways To Save Money When Shopping – Organising Life
57. Different forms of courage – DeepikasRamblings
58. The courage to be me – A Journey To Courageous Living
59. Awl and Scribe – Courage
60. Icesabel – Being courageous… raw edition
61. Just to Get Up – Debbie Gravett
62. Pluck the flower. Valour it! – Mayyu #karma #struggles #challenges- LIFE
63. Have courage- Use your brain 2 – mydailylife@kochi
64. Ink Paths – Gold Asset, Courage
65. Look at me – SPINMAN
66. The Fire Within Me – Yourdeevibes
67. COURAGE – Real Life, Creative & Unscripted
68. COURAGE – Spoken Word Poetry, Art & Haiku in fun mini series…New York City.
69. Choose Fun? – The Chicken Grandma
70. DP- The Courage to Say Goodbye – Sprawly
71. Courage – Revolving Around Life
72. juantetcts – Daily Post/Courage
73. y – prepping for a snow
74. Quote of the day – Meliorate
75. Finding Strength Through ‘Giving Up’ – They Once Called Her Pumpkin…
76. The Cop Said… – KerDoodle Village
77. Life On The Skinny Branches – Rosebud
78. Red’s Wrap – After Wednesday
79. Night Owl Poetry – Courage ~ #poetry
80. Shoot Schooler Never In The Same Sentence – wilde.woven.words
81. Strength – Oh, border! – Courage
82. Jelly Balls that Grow with Water – Eclations
83. My Garden ~ a Kiwi’s take on life – Facing Up Takes Courage
84. Courage to not be “successful” – Jade’s thoughts
85. How to Cope with a Tragedy When You Have Anxiety – Anxiety Free World
86. The right tide… – Cyranny’s Cove
87. Using Meditation As A Reset Button – Jen’s Life
88. Courage is seldom – Wells Baum
89. Cold water courage – Wells Baum
90. Solitude and leadership – Wells Baum
91. the word bullet – Seventeen Syllable Poetry
92. Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm Explored – No Excuses. Let’s Have Tea! #weekendcoffeeshare
93. Unapologetic Courage – Blissfully Bianca
94. Project Me 1st – Chocks Away
95. Living In Crimson – Progress
96. Scott Andrew Bailey – The Valley – Thirteen Tales
97. Having the courage to not bear arms – THE MAIN AISLE – 2018
98. The Diary of a Country Bumpkin – Courage.
99. Courage – The Narrow Bamboo Gate
100. Basket Case – Streaming thru America
101. Courage to make changes. – Welcome to my world.
102. Hero – I am a paradox.
103. Courage in Parenting – I Am Writing
104. The Courage to Grow – The Pique’d Page
105. Raising a Child Takes Courage – The Long and Short Stories of Life
106. Conservative Politics News – Kamala Harris’ Hypocritical Comments
107. Peanut Gallery 247 – The Naked Truth about Life you NEED to Know…NOW!
108. Buried Treasure – Tales of a Family
109. The Home Of DJ Sung Mo Koo – Trump, Confucius & The Cowardly Lion
110. Courage – CheckNotePublish
111. Courage to be myselfe – Whisper
112. Familial Cancer – spinster patty
113. Walk with God – Be of Good Courage
114. The Valley – Thirteen Tales – thehouseofbailey
115. Scott Andrew Bailey – Mankind Ltd – What Right?
116. Mankind Ltd – What Right? – thehouseofbailey
117. A Virtue on Hand – Whatever I Write
118. Greater Courage – The Uncensored Gist
119. Musings of a Menopausal Maven – Courage of Your Convictions
120. If Courage Grew On Trees – authoranonblog
121. sarishboo – Be Brave and Bold
122. Courage – The Bag Lady
123. The Village – Cookies & Moo
124. Courage – tranquilityofwords
125. LadyLebz – The Dementors Are Gone
126. Cage Dunn: Writer, Author, Teller-of-tall-tales – The 80/20 Rule
127. Comical Courage – Sharing With Others – Est. 11-15-2017
128. B_ live – Straight on
129. Honor and Courage – Around the World
130. Courage – cheery chimp
131. Courage – The Blue Heron
132. When You’re Hit Between the Eyes – Author Flawed to Perfection
133. Courage-from my perspective – From My Lofty Hill
134. Be Courageous – Running vs Me
135. Courage – Covert Novelist
136. Just BE – koolest1uknow
137. Musings of a Random Mind – Courage Under Fire
138. Does writing excuse watching? – Courage
139. Courage – Love Infusion Personal Freedom
140. Twenty Four – courage
141. ART + INT – Earth 2020
142. Who I am – Daily Prompt/One Word Prompt
143. Courage – As I was saying…
144. Reblog lost – Word Play … Poetry in Progress
145. Thanks, WordPress – Sharing With Others – Est. 11-15-2017
146. KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY, KNOW WHEN TO RUN! – THE GAMBLER – SERENDIPITY
147. Two Thoughts For One Daily Prompt Word – Ms Teri Blogger’s Awesome, Wonderful, Marvelous, Fantastic, Or At Least Pretty Good Blog
148. COURAGE – THE REAL DEAL – SERENDIPITY
149. It takes one step forward of courage – The girl who writes her own story
150. Writing and Works – A Well Worn Inheritance
151. HE WAS EVIL – lovenlosses
152. Courage – wordsareallihavesite
153. Courage Cinquain – AHYOKA
154. She Had The Courage To Handle Without A Roar and Rage #DailyPrompt
155. Easter Ellen – Haiku Courage
156. Little Fears – Divine Contemplations
157. Back In The Swing Of Things (Banana Pancakes Pt 7) – The Unfinished Script
158. Courage – The Journey
159. Time is stagnant. – Unwritten Cosmos
160. Ever been in a long distance relationship? – rujhanjain
162. To Expect More – The Uncensored Gist
163. Fall Far from the Tree – Writer’s block
164. Love is Flawless Courage – The Secret Letters to Timbo
165. A Madman, an Architect, a Barber and a Clown Walk into a Fourth Dimension. – writelee.com
166. Don’t Rush the Process – Virtuous Woman
167. On Our Way Up – The Uncensored Gist
168. Is that Elegance I see? – Ink Soaked Soul – Megha Bhartiya
169. Fear In Courage – The Uncensored Gist
170. revivedwriter – Indomitable
171. Is President Trump from Oz? – Needalittlepatience
172. To Save and Preserve – This, That, and The Other
173. KO Rural Mad As Hell Blog – victorious
174. KO Rural Mad As Hell Blog – mud fight
175. Courage – Spiritual Fruit Without Religion
176. Help You Pass – Writer’s block
177. What can one do in cold Chicago? – Don’t hold your breath
178. The courage to change – Vignettes from a Writer’s Den
179. Mom-Wife-Boss-Tequila – Courage
180. Speak Now Storyteller – Black Panther (2018) Movie Review
181. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Courageous Feline
182. A world without YOU – Rythemic Vocables
183. The Bravery of Choosing to Live – Her Patchwork Heart
184. Wallie’s Wentletrap – Lady Moth and Mr. Rat
185. Courageous Characters Found in Musicals – Meg’s Magical Musings
186. Nan’s Farm-Inside Out – Coining a phrase!
187. 5 top quotes – positive guider
188. thelonerose – Courgage
189. Moment of Valour – The Dreaming Lady
190. 11 Simple Ways To De-Stress… – Success Strategies
191. My Favorite Bible Verses – The Mommiest Introvert
192. Paul Ryan’s $tained Hands – A lot from Lydia
193. Margret’s Life Journey! – Courage
194. Write Here: Write Now – What was that?
195. Ambrose XVI – Writer’s block
196. Courageous Attributes – Sgeoil
197. La Vita Mia – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
198. New Jersey Artist – Jacki Kellum
199. Haiku – cocoa2
200. In terms of experience – Wells Baum
201. Why we worry – Wells Baum
202. Dare to be different, in some way – Wells Baum
203. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Courage
204. Girl with the Paw Print Tattoo – Courage is Strength
205. Karen Lynne Beads – Courage
206. Curiosity is not neutral – Wells Baum
207. hopeforheather – Daily Prompt [Courage]
208. Courage – Untamed
209. One of those days… – KerDoodle Village
210. like2read – read poems and lyrics to famous songs
211. Little ME!!! – emotionsoflife2016
212. Candid Quasar – cradled.
213. around midnight #poetry – Short Prose
214. Why ‘Black Panther’ Matters – SEXY MOTHER FILMGOERS
215. Page turning – Finding Ikigai
216. Page 1 – Finding Ikigai
217. The World Outside the Window – Courage is Aardvark Shaped
218. A wasted path – Fall Musings
219. Courage? – Ken Fales
220. Courage and Bravery in the Kingdom of Wakanda – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit
221. Success Inspirers World – Courage is the key
222. Courage to tell – THEGIRLVERSUSWORLD
223. Dark past – Musings
224. It’s That Conversation Again… – sudden thoughts & second thoughts
225. How I Met My New I-Phone – Quaint Revival
226. Six-word story: Courage – writingiswonderful
227. Too Courageous.. – stoneronarollercoaster
228. sonja benskin mesher – . have courage .
229. Courage – whatitriedtoday
230. Oby Akhigbe – One Sure-fire Way To Expand Your Reach As A Writer
231. Courage – Liz Charnes
232. Metamorphosis – Megha’s World
233. Courage – It’s DD’s World
234. Frank Prem – detail – nothing (from Mars)
235. Frank Prem – the bravest deed …
236. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Cruel Harvest
237. Courage – The Reckoning
238. Conservative Politics News – Doing Hard Time in Facebook Jail
239. It takes courage to do what needs to be done. – suziland too or obsolete childhood
240. Sandmanjazz – Some Words of Wisdom from the Doctor
241. Miss Pins-N-Needles – Bilocalalia
242. CONNECTED – Courage
243. Isabel Caves – Microfiction: The Monster in My Mind
244. paeansunpluggedblog – Courage
245. LadyLebz – Why I Called Off My Engagement
246. Take The Risk: Jump – Success Strategies
247. Flowers and Breezes – Courage
248. KO Rural Mad As Hell Blog – practice
249. Muse of the Day – Everyday Strange
250. Sermon on Love – cocoa2
251. While facing a war – Robert Varga Chronicles
252. STOP BACKING OFF!!! – LIFE
253. Ungodly – Ta An Speaks
254. Two Minutes – Mistyroads
255. Temple of Carnelian – Ta An Speaks
256. eclations – We Have Moved!
257. New Jersey Artist – Jacki Kellum
258. The Ultimate Test – The Psalmist
259. Courage – Daily Prompt – Ladyleemanila
260. Science Traveler – How Bloomington Illinois Made Abraham Lincoln Great
261. What It Takes – Dominica Bolden
262. Hot White Snow – Transformation
263. This Moment – …Until the Hate Disappears
264. The Start of a Journey – Journal of a Sapphic Witch
265. Rink – Zeckrombryan
266. Like a rose – Ta An Speaks