Howdy there peeps.
Welcome to my Day 15 entry of the NaPoWriMo show, starring…me!
(And a whole bunch of others too but their links are all below)
The prompt for this particular challenge was to come up with a poem that helps us to become sympathetic to a villain, who faces an unfortunate situation and comes across as human (but is still an evil little goiter all the same).
I decided to head back to the vaults for this one, as I remember responding to a similar prompt in the past and coming up with a corker of a situation, where a building contractor is dealing with very real and human problems for villains from fairy tales.
I had so much fun writing this tall tale that I think I would be hard pressed to top it with any other entry for this particular prompt and therefore this will be my fifteenth entry into NaPoWriMo 2018, which will also be featured in my upcoming poetry book release due out within the next couple of months.
Hope you enjoy it, let me know what you think in the comments 🙂
Photo by congerdesign from Pixabay
“Wicked Business” by David Ellis
A house made entirely out of sweets?
This is an eclectic assignment to say the least
I’ll have to speak to my brother, the supervisor
And run this whole thing by him first
Ever since that lawsuit with those little three pigs
And their houses of straw, sticks and bricks
We have to consider these requests
On a case by case basis
Instructions tend to get blown out of proportion
Things can easily be misinterpreted
We don’t want to get thrown to the wolves
OK, I’ve had a word with the man upstairs
I’ll do you a quote but it won’t be cheap
Your house may be being made out of confectionery
But you can’t expect to pay us peanuts
Plus you will have to sign this form of release
In case it all melts
A roof made of cake and the finest marzipan
Window panes of sugary diamonds
Gingerbread for the walls, with icing supports
You old crone, you’re crazier than a coconut!
But you’ll pay up front?
Please forgive my rude tongue, it won’t take long to install
You will however have to pay the baker extra for the materials
I’ve got several other jobs on this week
Mostly involving some sub-contracting
A sorcerer wants a padded room for practice
Those three bears want to build another extension
Because she has another bun in the oven
And a prince wants a bedroom done of twenty mattresses but only one pea
He was very specific – sounds a bit barmy to me but he paid handsomely
So let’s see, I can fit you in next Tuesday
Will there be anything else for you today?
Your sister way out West in the city of Kansas would also like a house?
And she’s not fussed if it isn’t made out of sugary treats?
Leave it with us, we’ll drop it on her…I mean drop in on her in a few weeks
You witches certainly know how to do wicked business
Still want more? Well, how about some other villainous Day 15 entries from the poetic repertoire of other talented NaPoWrimers? How fiendishly clever, let’s get straight to the links:-
1. Scrambled, Not Fried – Sub Rosa
2. Ladyleemanila – Deplete – Daily Prompt
3. Purple Mountain Poetry – DAY 15: GROWING SEASON
4. Playing with words – All it meant to her
5. MY OWN GARDEN OF VERSE – MEIN GARTEN DER GEDICHTE – NAPOWRIMO 15: TWO SIDES
6. Unassorted stories – Proposition
7. Jane Dougherty Writes – Osiris
8. MY FEELINGS MY FREEDOM – NaPoWriMo Day 15: My Dear Rapunzel
9. LILLIAN THE HOME POET – Nursery Rhyme Primed
10. My Author-itis – Tarnished Benevolence
11. Tidbits by Shannon – I am the Giant of the Great Seas
12. Nupur Maskara – Gabbar’s Con #NaPoWriMo Day 15
13. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Naughty Boy: NaPoWriMo 2018, Day 15
14. 1st Non-Manuscript – Charlene Delfin’s second blog – Day 15: Tonight’s the Night!
15. Voyage des mots – Father Timed Out
16. Gloria D. Gonsalves – NA/GLOPOWRIMO DAY 15: THE SLAYER WHO WEPT FOR TREES
17. ezekielsdaughter – napowrimo – Emily
18. WHAT LIFE SAID TO ME – NaPoWriMo 2018: Day 15- To Err Is Human
19. Experience Writing – N is for Nisus – I woke up thinking it was Monday. I’ll do another N tomorrow.
20. Flutterby’s NaPoWriMo – 2018 DAY 15 – DARTH VADER PLAYS THE KEYBOARD
21. Poetry by Hasen – Looking For Lost Hook
22. Poetic Pixels – Goliath
23. revivedwriter – Judas
24. Ileea (Swedish but Google Translate is your friend) – Aprillyrik dag 15 – Dagar
25. KATIE STATEN – NaPoWriMo #15 – Sea Witch
26. The Great Unknown – NaPoWriMo 2018 Day 15: Missing
27. ORIENTATION::QUILTER – Day Fifteen, NaPoWriMo
28. THOUGHTS OF WORDS – Jatayu
29. Yesterday and today: Merril’s historical musings – The Chairs–NaPoWriMo, Day 15
30. ORDINARY AVERAGE THOUGHTS – National Poetry Writing Month 2018, Day 15
31. barbaraturneywielandpoetess – Sid Philips lives next door
32. Woody & Johnny – Two to tangle
33. MEXI MOVIE THE THIRD – Day 15: Half way!
34. JIM’S LITTLE PHOTO AND POEM PLACE – NaPoWriMo 2018-15 — Day 15, a Poem, feed your dog
35. QUEST FOR WHIRLED PEAS – NAPOWRIMO 2018 – DAY 15 – BOWSER’S LAMENT
36. Rhyme and Reason – Poetry Meets Film Reviews – Thor: The Dark World (2013)
37. Summer Blues – A Poetry Blog – The Dragon King
38. Orangepeel – Poetry and Miscellany by Bruce Niedt – PAD Day 15: I Know All the Best Words – Vader Redux
39. kavyastream – Sympathy for the Beanstalk Giant
40. RIVRVLOGR – The Longest Sigh
41. inktuition – a poem for yellow
42. clayandbranches – NaPoWriMo, Day 15: Her Dark Materials
43. method two madness – on tides
44. Oaks to Acorns – Mrs. Bates
45. CLAIREVETICA – LORD GARMADON’S LAMENT
46. PEACOCK POETRY by Sam Allen – HEEL-ING POWER
47. S.T. Marie – NaPoWriMo – Poem #15 – The Tragedy of Being a Villain
48. HOSKING’S BLOG – #NaPoWriMo 2018 Day Fifteen