Hands up all of you who like karaoke? A fair few of you. Especially when you are all a bit tipsy too, no doubt.
That’s good because I’m about to royally burst your bubble right now in a fun way and not one that causes any pain or suffering (just mild embarrassment), as we take you along for a ride and force you to relive this ancient tradition that often starts soon after inebriation.
My good friend JaneyBGood (her blog’s here, what are you waiting for – Cupid or Cats) came up with another wonderful concept for a poem and I simply had to capture it and get it out there.
If there’s one thing I love doing (apart from eating cakes and winding people up), it’s creating a piece that has distinctive local texture, colour and flavour (all of this is making me hungry for cheese).
So Jane and I have made a collaboration that takes place in an Irish Karaoke bar – how cool is that? (Very cool, Mr David Sir!) Why thank you my lovelies, what a sweet and generous thing to say. You didn’t say it? Let’s agree to disagree and pretend you did. Marvellous.
So without further ado, let’s get this shindig started – give me the mike, it’s hollerin’ time and I’m know for jamming all night long!
(Extra bonus points if you comment in the form of poetry or song, you clever person)
“Murdering It On Karaoke Night” by TooFullToWrite & JaneyBGood
Hurry up! Quick! Somebody call the police!
There is a crime that is currently in progress
The din of a thousand caterwauling cats
Emanating from the bar, it sounds like murder!
The classics of Journey, Queen and Abba
Are lying butchered and battered on the floor
Nails on a chalkboard, squealing tyres
Have all been heard in this place before
Surveying the scene and investigation
I’m not sure I want to be here in person
A wee man up on stage is jumping up and down
On drugs I wonder, his eyes wandering the crowd
Flutes and tin whistles complement howling banshees
Evident from the ambiance, we’re witnessing chaos theory
The wee man necks his own weight in whiskey hits
As the lyrics of U2 songs are added to the carnage
The ladies are dancing around, now it’s their turn
Duets are kicked off with random aplomb
As the drink flows, confidence grows bigger
Getting louder, more shriller, drowning out each other
Clinking glasses and dragged out notes intermingle
Exaggerated power ballads and floppy, bad hairdos
An inflated sense of peacocking self-esteem prevails
Meaningless lyrics now muffled by unintelligible buzz
There is evidence of a right old ruckus on the cards
Don’t need a fortune teller, something is kicking off
A fight is about to erupt and arrests are imminent
Suddenly the machine blows up and everyone stops
But someone is still singing, refusing to let it all go
All eyes converge on a performer who’s moustachioed
Awkward whispers are silenced by his eager groupies
Enthusiastically body popping in sync to his Elvis thrusts
You see The King, he never died, that much is true
The clues they all pointed to a resurrected dude
In this tavern in Ireland on this very special occasion
We all heard him perform as a wee man from Lisburn
When people ask about this fateful night, they get a bemused reply
“I thought it was Elvis up there but then that must be gobshite!”
Not sure about the ending? Check out this funny post by Jane and you may obtain further clarity into the often amusing Irish lexicon:-
Still want more posts with a musical slant? Then why not check out some of these jaunty little beauties below:-
1. Tormented By The Daily Prompt | The Chatter Blog
2. Daily Prompt: Musical | Family Photos Food & Craft
3. Daily Prompt: Musical | My Love for Music | Loading…
4. Sébastien Laligne at Le Tilleul « Kerry Dwyer
5. Waiting for the Gift of Sound & Vision | The Mercenary Researcher
6. Daily Prompt: Musical « Hope* the happy hugger
7. Music = Life « My thoughts, My life
8. The Sound Of Music « mightwar
9. Use music to anchor your strengths « Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
10. Daily Prompt: Musical | Matt Roberts
11. Daily Prompt: Musical « emma wolf
12. Daily Prompt: Musical « Completely Disappear
13. Music communicates where words cannot « Being Special
14. Daily Prompt: Musical | Reminiscences | lena de almeida
15. Daily Prompt: Musical | Mind of Shoo
16. 26 / 365 – Filmfutter, X Files / DP 26.1.: Musical / Our Dog: Egg or Apple – Lisa: Ei oder Apfel? « OceanPhoenix
17. Music – A Universal Language « theseeker
18. Music! Music! Music! | Misifusa’s Blog
19. Daily Prompt: Musical | The Evolving Dad
20. Music. | jaycee68
21. How Music Matters (to me) | The Nameless One
22. Daily Prompt: Musical | The Bottom of a Bottle
23. Let’s Dance! « Prayers and Promises
24. Daily Prompt at Daily Post @ WordPress.com « Dim Lamp/קנה רצוץ לא ישבור
25. Music: like drugs for your brain? | Life on the Farmlet
26. Daily Prompt: Musical | Tita Rita
27. Daily Prompt: Musical « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
28. The Only Drug With No Harmful Side Effects – A Daily Prompt Post | Edward Hotspur
29. Daily Prompt: Musical / Role of Music on a Deaf Dancer « Advocacine’s Blog
30. Daily prompt: Musical « Ramblings of a jerk
31. Muse-ic | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
32. Daily Prompt: Multiple Meanings | wordsandotherthings
33. Daily Post: Musical | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
34. Daily Prompt: Musical « A Western Buddhist’s Travels
35. I get lost; it helps me feel alive. | To Stay Alive
36. Sweet soul soothing sounds | The Temenos Journal
37. Warning: Music is Hazardous « Sisters of Christ
38. Daily Prompt: Musical | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
39. Crank It Up! « Life With The Top Down
40. Got the rhythm « Spunky Wayfarer
41. Did Someone Say Music? – Sounds Like Orange
42. Daily Prompt: Musical « In Love With The Lord Poetry and Prose
43. DP: Musical « Life of Me and Mine
44. Daily Prompt: Musical | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones
45. Greetings, imbecile Earthlings | Journey of a Creative Playful Explorer
46. Beautiful Music Doesn’t Just Happen « The Teen Theme
47. Daily Prompt: Musical | Queenie
48. LES PIPELETTES DU BLOG | Blog de Michel
49. Daily Prompt: My Musical Journey | Stuphblog
50. Daily Prompt: Musical | Everyday Adventures
51. The Listening Booth: Week #1 « mightwar
52. Nirvana of my life | cambios de humor
53. Daily Prompt: Musical « Now Writing Every Day
54. Musical Stuff Keeps The World From Exploding | Daily Promptness
55. Daily Prompt: Musical « Jumbalya of thoughts and musings
56. Daily Prompt: Musical « N.S. Jones’s Blog
57. My Musical Remedies | Simone Says
58. Musical Spirit « melanielynngriffin
59. Daily Prompt: Musical | Stroopwafel Inspiration
60. Music my balm for life « Dispatches from the Swamp
61. Daily Prompt: Musical « Edgledge’s Ramblings
62. Musical? « A Blog for Laura Lee
63. [Poetry] My Friend « Funkify Your Life
64. Music, Can’t Live Without It « why so serious?
65. Music + Headset = My World Has Begin « Welcome to My World
66. Daily Prompt: Musical « Kim Corsoro
67. Dance Like Nobody’s Watching | Wiley’s Wisdom
68. Daily Prompt – Musical | In Da Campo
69. Daily Prompt: Musical – What role does music play in your life? « Too Much Music
70. It’s too early for music!! – DP: Musical | Elizabeth Los
71. Music Soothes My Soul | Ten Word Stories
72. Rumor Has It « – ellikitty –
73. Lalala « shivaaani
74. Music: My Life Partner « My Mind-Grapes
75. Music to my ears « Master Of Disaster
76. Anu on the move | Anar & Negar Daily
77. Daily Prompt: Musical | Yeahthtsme
78. Pickin’ on Me « Cheri Speak
79. Daily Prompt: Musical | The Blogging Path
80. Daily Prompt: Musical | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
81. Music? Who needs it. | A Cup of Joe
82. Daily Prompt: Musical « somos de aquí, y de allá
83. I iz an indie kid me | teacup and cake
84. Daily Prompt: Musical | James’s Journal
36 thoughts on “A Poetic Duet With JaneyBGood – “Murdering It On Karaoke Night””
Guys. Nicely done. But I think I need to hear this sung out loud… any takers?
Thanks Trent. The guy sure is talented and I just kind of tag along ha! Last time I sang karaoke, it was recorded and is probably out in the deep dark depths of the internet somewhere, never to be seen. Hopefully.
Just heading over to google…
I’m sure you won’t find anything… I hope
Anything I find, I’m posting.
Just kidding, by the way.
I know… Because you’ll never find it *manic laugh*
That sounds like a challenge to me!
Haha, good luck 🙂
Lol – My old music is on the internet under the music section on the left hand menu of my blog. I made it years ago and it haunts me to this day. I know I can do better, I’ve matured a lot more since then. Maybe you feel the same.
I’ll probably sing it one day soon – I’m thinking about recording some of my stories/poetry and even putting music to the odd few. However my novel must take priority!
Absolutely. What is your novel about?
Thanks for asking Trent. It’s going to be a sci-fi comedy in that it is set in the future. It is about a detective taking on a missing dog case that leads to other nefarious activities. I’m currently editing Episode One and will have to work on Episode Two soon, then I can apply the changes to the first Episode and get it published. Each Episode will be 30,000 words, like novellas I guess adding up to a full length season. It is taking a long time but it looks like it will be an auspicious debut indeed! I know you have some books too and after I’ve selfishly focused on getting these things out, I will check out your stuff too. I love reading and supporting my talented friends in the blogosphere!
Very cool – and starting from a missing dog case no less. Sounds interesting.
I don’t have a book published. Like eveveryone else, I am writing it and hoping hard.
Thanks for linking to my post!
You’re welcome – look forward to reading yours!
I really did like this piece a lot
So slick and smooth like flu season snot
I think that you should be paid cash
For mentioning a nice mustache
I wandered in, so nice and trusting
And in my face was some Elvis thrusting
I’m glad that you liked this post
I would have reblogged but I don’t like to boast
Man, we’re on FIRE
when you boast
about this post
I raise a toast
as a good host
When you toast
I want most
Because some wine
Would sure be fine
wine is fine
beer is here
liquor is quicker
but my squirrels like crack…
I like craic
But not that kind
I also like squirrels
But not as much as murals
That was the best I could do…
squirrels with curls?
the squirrel flag unfurls
some squirrels are girls
give a squirrel a whirl
or maybe a hurl
as valuable as a pearl
they live where it’s rural
They like to dance
But they don’t wear pants
Because of the ants
I’m in a trance
Thinking of squirrels in pants
and their nuts…
I kill me
You kill me too!
Lot of killing going on around here – this poem must be infectious!
It was still fabulous – a million points to you my dear
Aw thank you!
You’re welcome – and nice to see all of these other poems and limericks spinning out of our original one!
Haha yeah, we’re all so imaginative and creative 🙂 you’ve created this in me! You’re like my Frankenstein!
Hahaha, there I am!
The beast from within
Has been awakened
Now try turning them off
Bet the rhymes won’t stop
I can do the rhyme
Cause I don’t have the time
I’ll never be a poet
I just know it