I have another Flash Fiction story for you all, stuffed to the gills with humor, mystery and intrigue.
Hope you like it and feel free to drop me a comment – I’ll be happy to tell you your fortune for free 🙂
“A Ghost Of A Chance” by David Ellis
“Don’t sit there!”
The old crone gazes at me with her one glass eyeball bulging as if it is going to burst out of its errant socket and shatter like a Christmas bauble. Her stubbly, raspy chin threatens to set fire to the well-worn rug at her feet, as she strokes her bony finger across it absent-mindedly.
I sip my lukewarm tea and cannot help but wince – these herbs have long gone off and I’m lamenting even coming here in the first place.
A friend had told me she was always right on the money and he had won the lottery last week right after seeing her. A pity he got struck by lightning three days later. Act of God they said but in my mind I thought “Easy come, easy go.”
What was I hoping to get from this meeting though?
I’ve been unlucky in love all of my life and the thought of online dating brings me out in hives – I never know what to say or what to do, I’ve been winked out of existence but no-one has bothered to take it any further than that.
I carefully acknowledge the wizened old hag intently as she speaks in an eerily dull, monotonic voice.
“‘E shall be ‘ere soon, see deary? And when ‘e comes we shall know everything there is to know about your life and your problems and we will solve them we shall, together! Bwahahahahahahaha!”
She’s obviously a loon. I sincerely hope it is not because she drinks too much of this foul brew that she doles out to her customers. She probably doesn’t get much in the way of repeat business.
The hairs on the nape of my neck prickle in anticipation. Who is this character she is referring to, is it a ghost, a ghoulish, ghastly apparition? There has been no sign of another human being for several minutes now and all I can think about is her introducing me to her Ouija board as a faint dampness permeates in the air.
“Come forth stranger, shower us with your knowledge and wisdom of the ages!”
I stare at her quizzically for another couple of minutes. Then wham! I’m struck full in the chest, what on earth is going on? There is dampness in the air and it is electrifying. Right up until a furry tail hits me square in the face.
I mutter in disgust, heading rapidly out of the tent and immediately boot up my laptop in my motor outside whilst mopping my face.
At least if I go back online again now, I will have the ghost of a chance of finding somebody. Even if it is only a new pet.
For more blog posts about fortune telling and palm reading, check out the excellent articles by fellow bloggers below:-
1. The Magic Black Book Hands
2. Books, Music and Movies : my best friends Hands that hold…
3. Godrick Gnomish Misfortunate Palm
4. littlegirlstory Life Line
5. weliveinaflat Phoneography Weekly: A macro look at round things
6. Musings from a practical mystic Island Dreaming: Transformation
7. Daily Prompt: Life Line You Travel Too Far for Answers
8. Good2begone Ze Plane…Ze Plane
9. notsinglebutnothappy Hands
10. Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion The Fortune Teller (Sonnet)
11. thoughtsofrkh No touchy
12. Prayers and Promises Walking Wounded
13. Let There be Peace on Earth Life Line
14. Not a Punk Rocker It’s Gonna Be A Long Flight
15. Andante Cantabile Happy Birthday Hands
16. alienorajt Palm Reading
17. cellarfloor Fate
18. clarior e tenebris Blood Fugue
19. Geek Ergo Sum Life Line
20. The Jittery Goat How To Get Rid Of A Palm Reader (short fiction)
21. awritersfountain Life Line
22. masadiso79's Blog Life Line – show us HANDS.
23. Hope* the happy hugger The fall.
24. Ese' s Voice Hands
25. Under the Monkey Tree Life Line
26. Khana's Web Life Line: Hands – The Whole Story
27. Relax “Life Line”
28. cellarfloor Fortunate Hands
29. It's a wonderful F'N life Hand Sculpture
30. Rolbos © Madame Zavira
31. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss Life Line
32. The Rider The art of being Luciano Pavarotti
33. Mama Bear Musings Life Line
34. Life is great She turns pale
35. "Yes, I'm an English major." Lifeline
36. Sincerely, Ms. Roberts Do I Need My Palm Read?
37. The Bluebird of Happiness 幸福 Daily Prompt : Take My Hand
38. BCIJo Life Line: “The Hands of a Child”
39. Books, Music and Movies : my best friends You should have been…
40. Here's My Heart & Here's My Mouth In Hands
41. Vampire Maman No magic in telling the future (but maybe a little fun and games)
42. West Coast Review Life Line
43. Summer Reminisce Ms Optimistic
44. The Nameless One Life Line
45. Nekoruchii The Mysterious Palm Reader
46. hastywords WHEN THERE IS NOTHING LEFT
47. ayimas Not my Palm.
48. terry1954 Daily Prompt; Life Line
49. Hekau: Words of Power Palm Reading
50. clarior e tenebris My Bad Hands
51. Pinklightsabre's Blog Lot Number 12
52. Ruminations from an Introvert Life Line
53. aznstarlette Crinkly Eyes And A Little Clarity
54. SERENDIPITY Lines of Karma
55. A Day in the Life Loosey-Goosey
56. Neva Samaki Questo è il tuo futuro
57. Sue's Trifles Friendship
58. Eyes Closed, Mind Open. Coarse and smooth: Life line
59. picturingpositive WordPress Hands
60. The Daily Post Life Line
61. Teagan's BooksThree Things Serial: 6 Search, Cocoa, Fox
62. marsowords Life Lines
63. Foreshadowing Flight Life Line
64. Molly Greye I Hope You Can Read The Back Of My Hand Too
65. marsowords Life Lines -v2
66. Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture Hands of Berry Pickers
67. Basically Beyond Basic Life Line
68. My OCD Diaries Life Line
69. Bite of Life Shaping the Future
70. Life Line » My Life, My Way, My Words
71. A Hedonistic Wander [Weekly Writing Challenge: Fit to Write] + [Life Line]
72. The Geeky G4mer Life Line ft Billy & Seamus
73. Chicomallorca's Blog Life Line
74. Indexyourlife A handful of choices or a hand full of choices
75. Edge of the Forest Life Line Hands
76. Taking One Day At A Time Time Flows
77. Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness Reflections at High Altitudes
78. For the Love of Images
79. One Starving Activist The Daily Post Meets the Don’t Tell Me My Secret
80. hope337jd Hands
81. Life and Times Life Line
82. tjbarkerseattle Life Line
83. Simply Julie! Hands
84. To Breathe is to Write Life Line
85. The Lint In My Pocket Life Line
86. Rob's Surf Report Do I really want my palm read?
87. Nameless Non-ficton The nightmare: Hands
88. willowdot21 Life Line
89. Just Another Blog Life Line, Two Ways
90. tornin2's Blog The palm says…
91. The Silver Leaf Journal In the Palm of Your Hand
92. Heron There & Everywhere Life Line
93. familyphotosfoodcraft.com Life Line 12/8
94. Far from Done Hands
95. februarylove18 Life Line
96. 5 Degrees Of Inspiration Primordial Palm
97. loveletterstoaghost Holding
98. Pinay New Yorker Life Line
99. soarlikeeagle Life Line (To All the Hands)
100. Sisters of Christ Monday’s Child
101. Danny James Life Line
102. Daily Prompt Toeing the Line
103. Tommia's Tablet Monday Moment
104. carashiadrake Face Palm
105. Emotional Resonance and Rocket Launchers Optimistic Vision of my Future (not really)
106. Icezine Focus – Hands