Hello there ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to yet another fantastic installment in the Author Interview Series.
Tonight I have the greatest pleasure to introduce you all to the very talented and multi-genre spanning author Aminah Iman, as she takes us on a thrilling journey into her horror, historical and urban fiction books, her passions and writing advice.
This is the last interview before Christmas, so Happy Holidays, enjoy the show and look forward to joining you all again just after Boxing Day, thanks for reading and have a great time.
Hi there Aminah, thank you for spending some time with us today to talk about your writing inspirations and exciting stories.
Let’s start with your books. You have several different series for us to sink our teeth into. Please tell us more about each of them briefly, their story arcs, the lead characters involved and what challenges they face across the course of each of the series you have launched.
Okay, the ‘Vamperial’ series centers around Lillith, the first woman ever created who was banished from the garden of Eden and because of the beast in the wilderness she had to ingest she became the first ever vampire. In her obsession to create others in her image she picked the strongest queens throughout history which were Nefertiti, Sheba, Cleopatra, Jezebel and Candace. The series starts with ‘Lillith my Genesis’ and then ‘The Queen’ which is Sheba’s story, ‘The Changing’ which is Nefertiti’s story and ‘The Rise of Egypt’ which is Cleopatra’s story. This ends with ‘Revelations’ and ‘Apocalypse’ which focuses on the queen’s turning into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and having to fight an organization called ‘The Order’ who is trying to save humanity from The Vamperial.
The next series is ‘30 Pieces of Silver’ which focuses on Judas Iscariot and his battle between working for Satan and finding redemption. He is also fighting against The Order (the same from The Vamperial) because they see him as an abomination against God. Judas falls in love with a member of The Order named Felicia, and together they work on redeeming his soul for Christ.
The next series after that is ‘The Chronicles of Sari’. Sari is a supernatural hunter who kills the big bad; werewolves, ghost, ghouls, vampires. She has inherited a pack of Were-leopards that help her whenever a threat is imminent. The main characters are Sari, the hunter, Lillian her mother who before Sari had the most preternatural kills in history. Her partner, Dominic Salvador in life and in hunting. Ingrid; Sari’s lore and weapons specialist, and Nick; her Beta. They work out of Indianapolis, Indiana and I want to say her motto which is ‘Sari kills the unkillable’ So pretty much if you need something dead, Sari is who you call.
The last series is ‘The 3 Trilogy’ this series is about three cousins who all have an affinity and guides. Their family was cursed centuries before by a warlock and in each generation there are a chosen three who have to fight and try to defeat him. In this first book ‘Black Magick’ focuses on Ciara whose affinity is fire and whose guide is a falcon, she was separated from her cousins at a young age in an attempt to see if it would break the curse, which it did not. In turn she had to return to Ireland, where this all originated to help fight. Ciara’s is pretty insecure, she doesn’t feel as powerful as her cousins or really as worthy, so she works – well she goes overboard a lot but Neila and Cian, her cousins, in the end pull her together.
Ciara also has a love interest, Liam who actually possess all of the elemental affinities that the cousins do and he’s kind of almost dragged along to help fight the big bad. There is also a crossover book that I love which is ‘The Chronicles of the Three’ this book brings Sari, from The Chronicles of Sari to help The Tree from The Three Trilogy to fight the Gancanagh which is a Irish fairy who has the ability to turn into your greatest desire in a person, who in turn makes you neglect yourself until you die. So Sari and Dominic go to Ireland to help Ciara, Nelia and CIan fight the one thing they truly can’t see. They don’t know what he looks like, who he’ll turn into next and because all of their friends are dying they call the one who can kill the unkillable.
You mention that your writing covers the genres of historical fiction and the supernatural. When writing your books, do you start with the historical element first and then add the horror twists or the other way round? Are there any other genre elements that you introduce into the mix of your books?
I actually start with the historical first, I pick an historical figure that I’m fond of and I start off with their back story; when they were born, how they lived. From there I add the supernatural mix, whether they were a vampire or a were etc. I usually stick with the historical fiction but I do throw some romance in there, because hey who doesn’t love romance and a bit of thriller.
If any of your novels were to be made into films (or even a TV series), who would you cast in the lead roles?
Hahah let’s see…um if The Three Trilogy was picked as a movie and or series I would love to have Kat Graham play Ciara. I would pick…I don’t know Ian Somerhalder as Cian, Scarlett Johansson as Neila and Chris Hemsworth as Liam. You can tell I’ve thought about this before.
What do you find the most difficult thing about writing? And what do you find the easiest?
The most difficult thing for me is actually stopping because even after I’m finished I’ll re-read and think ‘Maybe I should have put that in chapter two’ or ‘Was I sure about chapter 5’ so the hardest thing for me is actually stopping the process. The easiest for me is the research because I love to research, I love to find everything I can about a subject and just envelop myself in it. I love research.
Who are some of the authors and historical figures that inspire you?
Wow…um as far as authors go definitely Anne Rice, I think she is brilliant. I love Stephen King, he is probably one of the few authors that make me read with a light on. And my VP, Omega. She is probably one of the few I actually have to look out for, she may take the crown one day. Historically, um I love King Solomon and Leonardo da Vinci because in my opinion both of them were ridiculously genius and humble.
What sort of research do you do to write your books?
Extensive! I find everything online, I actually go get physical copies of books. I’m kind of a fiend.
Why do you write? What inspired you to become a writer?
I write because I believe everyone has a story to tell, what inspired me to become an author is because I had so many stories to tell. There were so many things I wanted to know so much about, And in the research of learning about them, stories devolved. So I wanted to put them out there and…viola.
What keeps you motivated during creative slumps? How do you deal with Writers Block?
In all honesty, I don’t have writers block. My characters literally speak to me. So as long as they talk to me, I’m writing and when they stop…I stop. As far as motivation.. I love to write and in doing, so I want others to enjoy in that blissful state with me.
You have access to a time machine. What advice would you give to your younger self?
To start writing sooner. Um in my early 20’s I was afraid to become an author full time, you know not being sure how I would be received, how to make a living. So I would definitely tell younger me to just do it!
How do you spend your free time when you are not writing?
Reading. I’m an avid reader and I love to cook! I also run a small publication house so that kind of keeps me busy.
Tell us more about your upcoming projects. Are you working on anything specific or have plans in the pipeline?
Apocalypse is my next book which is coming out on December 31st 2016. It is rounding out The Vamperial series and it’s actually the last book I am writing for that series. It’s exactly what it sounds like, the end. As far as the pipeline, actually the ladies of Red Ink and I are writing a book together. All four of us are taking certain characters from a few of our books and putting them together in one big story but that’s literally all I can say about it, they’ll kill me.
Finally, are there any nuggets of wisdom that you can impart to other aspiring writers?
Absolutely. Do. Not. Give. Up. Being an author is hard, it truly is but it will pay off. Especially if you write for yourself first.
And that’s a wrap! Thank you for spending time with us Aminah, we look forward to exploring all of the wonderful series and worlds that your books have to offer 🙂
CEO of Red Ink Publications/Author/Lead Editor/Creative Director
Aminah Iman is an award winning author whose writing style ranges from Historical Fiction to the Supernatural. She started writing at a young age and believes, whether read, spoken, or written, words are the essence of power. Aminah loves reading as much as she loves writing and spends a great deal of her free time immersed in the pages of a book. She not only has over seven books and novels under her belt but a publications to match. In over the course of the years she has be described as ‘Thrilling’, ‘Captivating’ and ‘One of the best historical fiction authors of anyone’s generation.’ She started Red Ink Publications with one idea in mind, to bring beauty to the world through the written word, and in her mind she and her imagination, have.
You can connect with Aminah on the following Social Media channels:-
You can buy Aminah’s books here:-
If you too would like to be interviewed on my blog at TooFullToWrite and you have a book or a series of books that you would like us to chat about then fill out the Contact Me form here with your details and we can arrange a future interview slot.
Still want more? Well, Aminah’s books focus on a lot of different ancient and mystical themes. For more articles centred around the them of ‘Mystical’ then check out the links below:-
1. Sacrificial Chain Breaker – MYSTIC RED
2. Celebrating Sister Moon – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit
3. Christmas Memories – Dee-Vita
4. challengingsingle – Daily Prompt – Mystical
5. The Showers of Blessing – Mystical Architecture
6. Success Inspirers World – Reality or A Magnificent Dream
7. The Mystical Side of Christmas – Brenna Pierson
8. A Escritora – Reflectindo… MÃstico
9. Suddenly Single… Minded – You know: The Super Moon inspires romance? Absolutely.
10. whennothingworks – “Into the Mystic”
11. A Escritora – Reflectindo… MÃstico
12. Let’s Talk – Gemini Full Moon – The Cosmic Salon
13. The Syllabub Sea – Mystical
14. Rosemary Carlson, Freelance Writer – Travel: Mystical Matlacha
15. Success Inspirers World – Don’t escape; face it!
16. Young John and the Farm – Making Sense of Complications
17. Fluffy Pool – Product Review: Hello Kitty Egg Ring
18. Instinctive Joy – Kurilane
19. The Inconceivable Abode – Paradoxical Insights
20. Over Many Waters (a poem) – stephentotheplate
21. Mystical Experiences and Where to Find Them – Cheese and Glory
22. An Upturned Soul – The Midheaven and 10th House: What You Want to Be and Who They Think You Are
23. MariaLDario’s Blog – Daily Prompt 20: Mystical. The shadow of the pilgrim in the Praza da Quintana’ in Santiago de Compostela.
24. MariaLDario’s Blog – Daily Prompt 21: Mystical. SÃ£o ThomÃ© das Letras. MG. Brazil
25. Crossing Colorado – 6 Ways to Plan a Weight Loss New Year’s Resolution
26. ’tis the season for reading – Spectres & Stardust
27. Fantastical? Not! – Invisibly Yours
28. BodynSoil – Birch Changa Health and Harvest
29. logicaldreams – Shadowing Shadow
30. You changed my view of love – The Happy UFO
31. LIFE – When in Batangas Part 3
32. Back to sablan benguet
33. Message in a bottle P2. – Rexine Rawhead
34. Curtains of the Old House – Melinda J. Irvine
35. Mystical – Poems From Psalms And Nature
36. Finding The Northern Gems – Journeys of Len
37. Riding at last – ARMY OF THE FALLEN BIKERS
38. Winter Whisper – MY ENDURING BONES
39. Elfin – aspoonfulofsugar337
40. Sally D’s Photo Challenge + Mystical – Roaming Urban Gypsy
41. Just another dream that vanished – Afterlife Love Story
42. Mystical – The Bag Lady
43. Writing of All Sorts – Mystical Bonds
44. Mystical – Swa-Mikosho
45. Mystical is to me – thinkinkadia
46. Life’s punches – To Be Beautiful…
47. zombrian – Mystical
48. Lakeland Musings by Irwin – Mystical
49. Mystical Life – Ripples N Reflections
50. The Honest Fabler – What paradise do you believe in?
51. inspiration in progress – Math
52. Things I need to say – On the strangeness of life
53. a bliss of birds – become more fully alive in time
54. Mystical Love – Kim Orlowski
55. My secret world – So Many Hats (or Veils)
56. Write Now – Overachiever (Is That Spelled Correctly?)
57. Zombie Flamingos – I didn’t forget!
58. The Spy: A Novel – mybookview.com
59. Flowers and Breezes – Mystical
60. Mystical – My organic adventure
61. Mystical Journey… Haiku – Serendipitous Web Life
62. Samantha Linda – 3 things
63. Christmas Special – 3rd Advent: Christmas carols – A special time
64. It’s All in Finding the Right Words – Love Is Not a Mystical Feeling
65. Lost Property Repository – Get out of my face
66. Sorceress of the Dead – Luka’s Notebooks
67. The Adventures of Iric, Vol. 8 – jmwwriting
68. Musings of a Random Mind – Losing My Religion
69. Le Drake Noir – Mystical coziness
70. Mystical – thehouseofbailey
71. He Sings Within His Own Vessel – Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky
72. Unraveling the Heart – Mystical Reality
73. Jibber Jabber with Sue – Mystical Time of the Year
74. randommansiteblog – mystical
75. Insidious Cravings – Mystic Love
76. B_ up to date – Why When Who
77. My Daily Breads – Dangerspouse
78. Writing of All Sorts – 6 Degrees of Separation
79. LadyLebz – THE FEMALE BODY: BEST PLACES TO BE KISSED
80. Mystical – design.lifestyle.inspiration.
81. a mystical tree – Love it Now
82. guide: busking – making money on the road – poor gays on holidays
83. sparksfromacombustiblemind – Wonder!
84. tylershepard1991 – word of the day – mystical
85. RLUphoto – Daily Prompt – Mystical Snow
86. Home Made Lights – The Last Blog Available
87. MY ETERNAL PARTNER – Mystical – What is it?
88. Life Is Like That – I have faith in the light
89. One Line Sunday- Advent Calendar, Day 11 – In my world
90. There Are More Poets than Stars in the Firmament – spread joy everywhere
91. Dromen? – @Peter’s Blog
92. JonPatrickSage – Those Mystical Folks On Sunday Morning…
93. Square peg, round hole – Don’t hold your breath
94. Covert Novelist – Mystical
95. Full-Time – O Come
96. Kate Murray – Mystical
97. Frosty ice image open to interpretation – Your Nibbled News (c) 2016 YNN
98. Mystical – Wings Of Poetry
99. Reality or A Magnificent Dream – atrangizindagieksafar
100. Hee, hee, hee – CD-W, Author
101. Charron’s Chatter – 9-1
102. Mystical Moments and Man – rupalislale
103. sonja benskin mesher – . darker days .
104. When a Muslim visits a Hindu temple – JUNKY TRAVEL
105. Love – Black Blood
106. The Gad About Town – Mystical Things
107. Unseen but Understood – Scribbled by M
108. lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown – Tree of Faith
109. Scott’s Place – Mystic, Times When Answers Are Beyond My Reach
110. More Than You See – Debbie Gravett
111. Strange Experience – emotionsoflife2016
112. The Quirky Life of P – A mantra for absentmindedness
113. The Cat Chronicles – Daily Feline Prompt: Mystical Felines
114. The Mystical Kunzum Pass – Travel Crusade
115. Countdown to Christmas 14 days to go! – Elaine’s Bloggers Paradise
116. Life Out of Tunes… – A Star To Look Up To
117. Mystical: Lost My Name Children Books – LiteYourSoul
118. witchlike – Love Alone
119. How to overcome insecurity – Step 1. – House of Rogue
120. HarlemATL Inner City Blues – A Recipe For Failure
121. WHAT IS MYSTICAL ABOUT….? – breathingpark
122. The Girl with the Butterfly Tattoo – Stardust
123. Ellen Grace Olinger – Haiku Art Site – Mystical
124. Mystical – That Pune Chic
125. Quill & Parchment – The Shawlwala !
126. Exploring the World around us – Universe
127. Happiness, Nay, JOY! – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
128. Giggles & Tales – The Daily Prompt – Mystical!
129. Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss – Magical Mystical – Bromelia
130. The Six Foot Jew – Party Like Its 1942
131. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO – Dear future me,
132. I Am a Divine Being… – Inner Whispers
133. Michel Montecrossa Blog – Featured: ‘Meditations On Savitri’ Part 8, Bonus Video – poetry and art movie by Michel Montecrossa
134. kStan(ly) kSays – His canvas at midnight
135. Mystical – Bullyboy
136. My Mystical World – Elaine’s Bloggers Paradise
137. Assurances…. – Poem – Thunder Poet
138. tis the season to bemoan ⋆ Obsolete Childhood
139. Mystical – for art lovers
140. thelonerose – Traditions
141. Transform your outlook to rebound quickly when things happen – art of being abulous
142. juantetcts – Mystical
143. Alluring Nature – Being Versatile
144. mylocalweb – Your mystical traits
145. Mystical – suzhalgal
146. KO Rural Mad As Hell Blog – Leaf stairs
147. Frank Prem – Search For My Soul
148. Page 111 – The Abject Muse, aka SusanWritesPrecise
149. Jackobo’s Photoblog – Collapsed Dome (Ascend to the Heavens)
150. I am the mystical – dilkiaawazsunoblog
151. Two promises – One Way – One Stone Away…
152. Murtagh’s Meadow – Mystical silent sunday
153. Sharing the Holiday Cheer – Mid-Life Inspirations
154. For Some, The Bell Still Rings – Life In My Tin Can
155. My-my-mystical – Killer With Kindness
156. let’s pretend – writemebad
157. Celebrate Him – Pete Gardner Psalms
158. Southern By Design – Pursuing Self
159. kStan(ly) kSays – a host of heaven’s angels
160. PUPPETS WITH HEARTS – Rainbow
161. “As Long As Your’e Mine Analysis” – Meg’s Magical Musings
162. I wrote a book. Now what? – Ouch! My feelings!
163. LadyLebz – WHAT A HUG SAYS ABOUT THE LEVEL OF RELATIONSHIP
164. Mystical – MistryLand
165. The Poetic Syndrome – Blue Love
166. Mystic-Ali! – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
167. I Saw A Sign – Dee-Vita
168. Today’s Tomorrow – When Two Becomes A Curse.
169. Mystical – Daily Prompt – Ladyleemanila
170. The Mystical Chest – Train Of Thoughts
171. Devil Doll Musings – Say I’m Sorry
172. the15thday – and the award for butt of the year goes to…
173. Science Traveler – Nikola Tesla Seeks to Harness the Power of Nature
174. Open For Business – Sinner’s Prayer ~ Fallen Saint
175. Mystical (A Senryu) – Emotional Spaces
176. Hot White Snow – Hot White Snow
177. Mystical… – Emotions that matter.
178. Designer Sophisticate – Okay, it’s not *quite* the prompt….
179. Mystical: Snow Beauty: Winter Mating – Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman!
180. Mystical – Optimize Your WordPress Site!
181. Lantern Words – More Than Mystical
182. Lost Property Repository – The car in the garage